• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Eurosport commentary

Page 234 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I have a bit of a weird question:

Have the GCN+ people simply not updated the lists for races available in your country? Because it appears the CEGORR races are neither avaible in Denmark: annoying, for me, but I guess understandable, nor in Australia: really weird.
However, it is on the schedule.

Have the GCN+ people simply not updated the lists for races available in your country? Because it appears the CEGORR races are neither avaible in Denmark: annoying, for me, but I guess understandable, nor in Australia: really weird.

I assume the CEGORR is a late addition. I think it will be shown but I certainly am not certain.

Reactions: RedheadDane

It does say the schedule was last updated 3 days ago, but the two races have been listed under upcoming races in the app/on the website since at least last week.

(I'd like some cake for answering your question, please)

Reactions: Sandisfan

CEGORR is listed for me on the app here in the Netherlands. But likewise it's not on the what can I watch list for here or the UK, where I'll be on Sunday when it's taking place.

Reactions: RedheadDane
It's quite unusual, I think, for GCN/Eurosprt to take the commentary from a host broadcaster, especially on bigger events, so it was quite an enjoyable blast from the past to hear Phil Liggett on the last couple of mornings. Maybe it is simply over exposure to Carlton Kirby in the interim, but he was actually a lot better than I had suspected and remembered.

It's quite unusual, I think, for GCN/Eurosprt to take the commentary from a host broadcaster, especially on bigger events, so it was quite an enjoyable blast from the past to hear Phil Liggett on the last couple of mornings. Maybe it is simply over exposure to Carlton Kirby in the interim, but he was actually a lot better than I had suspected and remembered.

I thought he was horrible. Incredibly inattentive and without any understanding of tactics or race development.

For example, he didn't believe Taco van der Hoorn would last to the top of the first hill when he was 7 kilometres away and had a gap of 4 minutes. When Bora drilled the crosswinds, he suggested they just took the lead to reel in Taco, and he then said that Jayco had been caught out when they were in fact the only team other than Bora who had made the initial gap. When we saw Taco being dropped from the bunch, he said he was still in front even if we had just seen him get caught. When we had seen a Soudal Quickstep rider go after Bystrøm and got a shot from above and saw that rider chasing, he suggested it must be Hirschi.

Thank God I'm not Australian and have to put up with that nonsense more often than once per year.

Last edited:
I thought he was horrible. Incredibly inattentive and without any understanding of tactics or race development.

For example, he didn't believe Taco van der Hoorn would last to the top of the first hill when he was 7 kilometres away and had a gap of 4 minutes. When Bora drilled the crosswinds, he suggested they just took the lead to reel in Taco, and he then said that Jayco had been caught out when they were in fact the only team other than Bora who had made the initial gap. When we saw Taco being dropped from the bunch, he said he was still in front even if we had just seen him get caught. When we had seen a Soudal Quickstep rider go after Bystrøm and got a shot from above and saw that rider chasing, he suggested it must be Hirschi.

Thank God I'm not Australian and have to put up with that nonsense more often than once per year.

I love hearing Phil's voice. He sounds like cycling to me. When he and Paul were going, it was such fun.

However, in the recent Australian races I heard many mistakes and off-key comments about what was going on in the race. Often Robbie would subtly correct him. And he talked over Anna Meares in the TDU over and over again--that may have been partly the result of a 3 person team, but even so, he talked over Anna way more than he talked over Robbie.

Couple of observations (if it can be called that for something audible) from the weekend. I didn't expect Ian Field to be covering road racing, but for his first time at it after speaking about cx, it wasn't too bad. Matt Stephens seems to be able to get a bit more out of Dani Rowe than Marty Macdonald does.

but then you have to put up with Matts breathless excitement at everything, I think I still prefer the mute button, Ive at least heard Marty do very good commentary stints when needed, commentary of the we'll get someone to confirm who that rider is variety I can do without.

and yes I even thought at the weekend you know what Id rather be listening to Kirby do this.

TRENDING THREADS