• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Ex pro cyclists cropping up in unexpected places

Inspired by the this post in the "retirement" thread:

Matt Cronshaw, ex Madison Genesis and other CT teams, and now team manager at Ribble, is one of the competitors on The Great Pottery Showdown on Channel 4 (UK)

Any other examples?
I'll start; back in 2018 Rolf Sørensen participated in the Danish edition of "Dancing with Stars", earning him a fair bit of teasing from his co-commentators, especially since it happened at the same time as the Vuelta, so he had to take Fridays off.

(If there's a mod who think this fits better in a different sub-forum, just... do your moving magic!)

Last edited:
Inspired by the this post in the "retirement" thread:

Any other examples?
I'll start; back in 2018 Rolf Sørensen participated in the Danish edition of "Dancing with Stars", earning him a fair bit of teasing from his co-commentators, especially since it happened at the same time as the Vuelta, so he had to take Fridays off.

(If there's a mod who think this fits better in a different sub-forum, just... do your moving magic!)

Michael Rasmussen was also in that show. And Jesper Skibby - without much success as I seem to recall.

And no, I don't watch crap like that!

• Haha
Reactions: noob
Dancing with the Stars, Dancing on Ice, shows like that are made for famous people who have nothing better to do anymore, so i wouldn't exactly call that "unexpected". Every edition has one or two former pro athletes. When you see one behind the counter of a grocery store, or sleeping under a bridge, let me know.

Cipollini performed as Drag Queen in some Rai trash show, if you search "Cipollini Drag Queen Rai" there are plenty of video of his "performances" on RaiPlay, this one probably is the trashiest with other dancer that strip his skirt off him.

In the past he took part also in the Italian version of Dancing with the Stars and some similar shows, other than him among cyclists I remember only Chiappucci at the Isola dei Famosi (a sort of Survivors) where he finished second, generally cyclist here aren't famous enough to be called in mainstream TV shows and also sportspeople in general are not called so much outside sport dedicated shows for commentary/pundit works.

Last edited:
Dancing with the Stars, Dancing on Ice, shows like that are made for famous people who have nothing better to do anymore, so i wouldn't exactly call that "unexpected". Every edition has one or two former pro athletes. When you see one behind the counter of a grocery store, or sleeping under a bridge, let me know.
Not a grocery store but Riccardo Riccò has an ice cream shop where he works with his wife.

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/faustocoppi60/status/946270942359060480

Looking at his Instagram i think also Tom Boonen has switched to some Motorsport competition.
He has indeed, he's even on DriverDB. He's done mostly stuff like TCE, which is a semi-pro endurance category, but he's also entered the NASCAR Whelen Euro series. He had a pretty bad crash in October, though, and hasn't raced since, so I don't know how much further he's going to take it.

I thought this thread was going to be more like unexpected racing scenes people had appeared in, like Óscar Pujol racing for Azad University or Dmytro Grabovskyy's second career in Israel.

DSC_0084-1-578x800.jpg

Primož Roglič ended up:

received_10153631841178579-1.jpeg

As a pro cyclist.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Kris Boeckmans owns a coffeeshop,

I guess with the general coffee-adiction in the pro peloton, it was gonna happen eventually. Not specifically Boeckmans, but someone deciding to make a living out of coffee. :coffee:

Primož Roglič ended up:

As a pro cyclist.

Now you're being silly. It's for ex-pro cyclists, not ex-pro skijumpers. That's for a thread down in the cafe.

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS