Extreme quadriceps starting pain after 3-4 rest days

Page 16 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Feb 29, 2016
Here’s an excerpt from a Katie Compton article that may help add a little.

Since I wasn’t riding, I had lots of extra time,” Compton said. “I was sad and depressed. I was reading a lot, and listening to podcasts, especially those focusing on diet, nutrition, and health, trying to figure out why I felt so awful. Even walking up the stairs, I would stop for recovery at the top, and this was when I was not even training. I would get tired even just out walking the dog.”
Compton came across a podcast focusing on thyroid issues that touched on all of her symptoms. Through this, she ultimately discovered that she has a genetic defect — her body lacks the methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase enzyme (MTHFR) needed to convert folic acid into the usable form of methyl folate. Without this enzyme, folic acid builds up in the blood stream to toxic levels.
“Blood tests confirmed that I have that gene defect. It’s the root of all of my issues,” Compton said. “I asked my endocrinologist to check for it, and I was positive for both defects on both genes, one from mom, one from my dad. All the symptoms — leg cramps, asthma, reduced ability to recover, antibiotics make it worse — are all from this defect.”
(Noteworthy: In January 1998, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) began requiring manufacturers to add folic acid to enriched breads, cereals, flours, cornmeals, pastas, rice, and other grain products, primarily because pregnant women with insufficient folate intakes are at increased risk of giving birth to infants with neural tube defects. Compton’s leg cramp issues began in 1998.)
After almost 20 years of complicated health issues, the solution to Compton’s problems is simple — taking methyl folate supplements, and avoiding foods enriched with folic acid.
“The entire time I’ve been racing, I’ve been dealing with this,” Compton said. “This is the first time I’ve ever been able to train without leg cramps. So there is a huge positive of not riding this summer. If I hadn’t had so much time on my hands, I wouldn’t have gone to the trouble to research this, and I happened to stumbled upon the right podcast. It’s changed my life.”

Feb 29, 2016
So following on from the above and the MTHFR gene mutation I have had the testing done and I do have the following
C677T Mutation 1 heterozygous
A1298C Mutation 0 not detected

So what this is all means will require more research but I’m hoping we may be onto something as per Katie Compton. If anyone else gets tested please feel free to share the results.

I've had some similar experiences to those described in this thread, however I'm lucky enough to say that they went away, and are years behind me. That is the pain in the quadriceps after a few rest days ! Probably my pain came from increasing training volume very sharply, at least that is how I diagnosed myself. Still strange though that it is the rest days that cause trouble.

However I have developed another problem. Cycling has become my main form of training, while 5-6 years back I switched from running to cycling. For years it was ok to do the occasional run, but not anymore. If I do a run even a moderate one that does not even at all feel painful, my quads will be destroyed the next day, to the point of having sharp pain while walking. Pain will slowly subside, but the legs will not feel good before around 5 days of recovery/light training.

I'm wondering if this is caused by some inflammation in the muscles, or what, it seems that the hard hits from running causes massive trouble, which it never did before. By the way I eat carbs without any worry, munching them down, may also be a problem hehe. Or maybe I'm just getting old, at 52 I guess I cant expect too much, being relatively good at cycling is not too bad :)

One issue that I have wondered about - as a taxi driver I sit a lot, and blood circulation in your quads is quite limited when sitting too much. Maybe some of these "rest day" problems are mostly connected to not getting enough blood through the big muscles that need to transport away some waste material from previous efforts ? Just a thought :)

Sep 27, 2021
I've had some similar experiences to those described in this thread, however I'm lucky enough to say that they went away, and are years behind me. That is the pain in the quadriceps after a few rest days ! Probably my pain came from increasing training volume very sharply, at least that is how I diagnosed myself. Still strange though that it is the rest days that cause trouble.

However I have developed another problem. Cycling has become my main form of training, while 5-6 years back I switched from running to cycling. For years it was ok to do the occasional run, but not anymore. If I do a run even a moderate one that does not even at all feel painful, my quads will be destroyed the next day, to the point of having sharp pain while walking. Pain will slowly subside, but the legs will not feel good before around 5 days of recovery/light training.

I'm wondering if this is caused by some inflammation in the muscles, or what, it seems that the hard hits from running causes massive trouble, which it never did before. By the way I eat carbs without any worry, munching them down, may also be a problem hehe. Or maybe I'm just getting old, at 52 I guess I cant expect too much, being relatively good at cycling is not too bad Elly:).

One issue bitcoin poker that I have wondered about - as a taxi driver I sit a lot, and blood circulation in your quads is quite limited when sitting too much. Maybe some of these "rest day" problems are mostly connected to Nexthash not getting enough blood through the big muscles that need to transport away some waste material from previous efforts ? Just a thought :)
I'm 30, cycling for 3 years.. having similar problems, sitting 8h/day. I also thought about my big muscles not getting enough blood. That might be it, I will consider changing my job!

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2021
Hello,
a male from Germany (So sorry for mistakes. My English is not the yellow from the egg) here. I have had the same symptoms described here.

My symptoms started this July, when i got a new bike and started cycling regularly. The first time i got this, my thighs started hurting so bad, that i could only walk for a few minutes. So, when I got my new bike I cycled everyday for 5 days. I cycled in the morning 25km to school and 8h later, 25km back home. But I did not use all my power because the bike is an e-bike(vanmoof).So I cycled the way to school without help and the way back with maximum help. As I said, I did this for 5 days and rested the weekend. The pain started slowly on Monday and got worse. On Monday morning I was able to walk to the train station (1.5km), but when i left the train and walked to school the pain got so bad, that i had to sit down after 300m. It took me twice or triple the time to walk the way to school. My legs stiffened and I was not able to bend my legs. My pain is similar to a lot of the comments, but i cannot describe it further because i do not have the vocabulary (I can barely describe the pain in german too). When i finally arrived and sit down my legs still have hurt extremely for 20-30 minutes. Then the pain got less, when I sat down, but i still was not able to bend them. But as soon as i started to walk for more than 30-50m they began to hurt very bad again. It got so worse, that I had to take a 5-10m break on the toilet, every-time I got there. Thus, it was stress induced. The pain lasted for 5-7 days and the next Monday I could walk completely normally. I did not visit the doctor the first time.

My second time when I got this symptoms was 2-3 weeks after this. But this time I could cycle for 2 weeks, but I did not take a rest day on weekend between the two weeks. So, when i finally took two rest days, again the weekend, the same symptoms appeared. I did not notice them and already got on the bike. They appeared after 10 minutes, but I did not want to go back. And oh boy, this was the most painful trip of my life. It took 2hrs and there were parts were I had to walk. This was the day, when i finally attended the doctor. I did a blood test on Friday and had a CK of 16.000, high GOT(ASAT), high GPT(ALAT) and high LDH. I stayed at the hospital for one week and got an infusion of 200ml/h water. I did some tests: They checked my heart with ECG(multiple times) and x-ray(thorax) -> Result nothing, and They did a MRI of my thighs. They saw that the Muscles have broken down(I think that they saw this, I do not know exactly, but they told me there was something bad), but they already have thought of this. They thought i have Morbus McArdle, but they quickly discared this thought because i did not have something like a second-wind-phenomena. After 6 days my Blood values got acceptable and they send me to another hospital, which is specialized for metabolic disorders. They thought I have CPT-II and they checked my genes. They released me because my blood-values stabilized (still not normal, but not threatening). After one month I got the result of the test and it turned out negative.

The third time i got this was two week ago. I started to cycle to school again and did it this time for only 4 days(Tuesday-Friday). I rested the weekend and went to the doctor and made a blood test. The CK was 3000 and a day after the test I went to the hospital and my CK was 13.000 (GOT(500), GPT(120), LDH (700) was also high). I went home under the condition, that i do not exercise and drink a lot. They now check all my muscle genes, if there is something wrong.

Just wanted to share my story because when i could not find something for my symptoms It was really strange. And maybe this helps. I will update when there is a result for my gene-test.

Edit: One thing that came to my mind right now are pain-reliever how was your experience, when you had this episodes. I got Ibuprofen and it did not help and Metamizol(Novalgin). Bot did not help no matter which dose.

Edit 2: My urine also did not turn brown it was clear

Jan 4, 2021
I'm now struggling with this for over a year and can only hold it of by cycling at least every other day (doing ~500km each week in the summer, ~300km in the winter) and being very disciplined with my diet. My usually episode are pretty rough, but either I can get them to not come on fully by catching them early and cycling through the pain or they disappear after 7-8 days.

I recently got my most extreme episode after receiving my second vaccine shot. To cut a long story short: when the pain didn't subside after a week and my urine started to literally look like blood I called an ambulance. They had to carry me down from the 4th floor because there was no way I could have managed the stairs. At the hospital they checked my CK and I was above 80.000 - that's just the highest value their equipment allowed them to measure, the real value probably was double of that. Liver values were also so high they fist tought I was an alcoholic (I don't drink any alcohol) or had Hepatitis. I had to stay there for a week, no tests were done as I already had pretty much every test done on me on previous visits and two visits to a clinic specializing in muscle diseases. Just got massive amount of IV fluids and was discharged with a CK of 15.000.

So yeah, just wanted to share this to let you know that vaccines might be a potential trigger (also found two case studys of vaccine induced rhabdomyolysis on the net) and it definitely can get so bad that your urine changes color as is reported often with severe cases of rhabdomyolisis.

All in all I was off the bike for 4 weeks. 2 of these I was pretty much confined to my or the hospitals bed. I'm now in my 4th week after starting training again and am back to my old level of 5w/kg. No issues since my last episode, but I definitely won't get a booster shot when my time comes (my doc is also against it).

Nov 18, 2021
Hello,
New to the forum but have been following this thread for about 4 yrs. since my first episode at age 37. I've been experiencing about 2 per year but they seem to be increasing in frequency. My onset is similar to others however my symptoms can trigger with only 1 day off the bike, particularly if I do a high volume week and then sit on a plane for 6hrs.

I have gone through a similar process that many have described on this thread...went to the ER the first time with CK levels off the charts. After that I have just treated at home trying to keep hydrated. Never experienced any dark colored urine. Have been seeing a neurology team in Boston for about a year and a half now and they have yet to find anything wrong.

All tests and bloodwork have come back negative for muscle disease. EMG was normal. Recently had a genetic test done and I believe they focused on genes related to fatty acid oxidation. They are now resubmitting the sample for glycogen storage abnormalities but they are not confident they will find anything given I've done plenty of intensity/intervals with no issues. I also submitted a 23&me sample following the Katie Compton lead but no obvious MTHFR mutations to speak of.

I have been trying to wrap my head around the sensation of how these episodes start and how the pain initiates and develops. To me, it sometimes feels like a mild electrical storm at first: very mild brief myalgia that seems to "float" around the various quad muscles and slowly settle on one. Then later in the day or next day targets another muscle or another leg. This has led me to try to learn more about channelopathies or errors within the electrolyte process of the muscle. I am not trained in medicine and just doing my best to understand journal articles such as this:

Along those lines I have also been reading about the role of histamines that are released by the muscle in order to repair itself after exercise. My current best guess or hypothesis is that we are hypersensitive to some kind of metabolic blockage/buildup in the muscle when we train regularly, sweat, rehydrate and then abruptly stop that cycle. Those of you who have tested negative for CPT2 indicate it's not necessarily glycogen at issue. Here is a related video I found interesting:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QjOxsOZpG4

Hopefully this will resonate with some of you. I know some of these have come up previously in the thread but wondering if anyone is confident about triggers related to the following:
-caffeine
-alcohol
-carbs
-salt intake

Cheers to all of you!

Edit: I was able to stop the most recent episode after only 6 days (as opposed to 2 wks +). I got on the indoor trainer and without any warmup pedaled at tempo wattage keeping constant tension on the muscles. Cramps seemed to start to come on but not to the point of seizing the legs. After 1hr of mostly tempo effort I felt much better, episode gone by the next day.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2021
Hello,
a male from Germany (So sorry for mistakes. My English is not the yellow from the egg) here. I have had the same symptoms described here.

My symptoms started this July, when i got a new bike and started cycling regularly. The first time i got this, my thighs started hurting so bad, that i could only walk for a few minutes. So, when I got my new bike I cycled everyday for 5 days. I cycled in the morning 25km to school and 8h later, 25km back home. But I did not use all my power because the bike is an e-bike(vanmoof).So I cycled the way to school without help and the way back with maximum help. As I said, I did this for 5 days and rested the weekend. The pain started slowly on Monday and got worse. On Monday morning I was able to walk to the train station (1.5km), but when i left the train and walked to school the pain got so bad, that i had to sit down after 300m. It took me twice or triple the time to walk the way to school. My legs stiffened and I was not able to bend my legs. My pain is similar to a lot of the comments, but i cannot describe it further because i do not have the vocabulary (I can barely describe the pain in german too). When i finally arrived and sit down my legs still have hurt extremely for 20-30 minutes. Then the pain got less, when I sat down, but i still was not able to bend them. But as soon as i started to walk for more than 30-50m they began to hurt very bad again. It got so worse, that I had to take a 5-10m break on the toilet, every-time I got there. Thus, it was stress induced. The pain lasted for 5-7 days and the next Monday I could walk completely normally. I did not visit the doctor the first time.

My second time when I got this symptoms was 2-3 weeks after this. But this time I could cycle for 2 weeks, but I did not take a rest day on weekend between the two weeks. So, when i finally took two rest days, again the weekend, the same symptoms appeared. I did not notice them and already got on the bike. They appeared after 10 minutes, but I did not want to go back. And oh boy, this was the most painful trip of my life. It took 2hrs and there were parts were I had to walk. This was the day, when i finally attended the doctor. I did a blood test on Friday and had a CK of 16.000, high GOT(ASAT), high GPT(ALAT) and high LDH. I stayed at the hospital for one week and got an infusion of 200ml/h water. I did some tests: They checked my heart with ECG(multiple times) and x-ray(thorax) -> Result nothing, and They did a MRI of my thighs. They saw that the Muscles have broken down(I think that they saw this, I do not know exactly, but they told me there was something bad), but they already have thought of this. They thought i have Morbus McArdle, but they quickly discared this thought because i did not have something like a second-wind-phenomena. After 6 days my Blood values got acceptable and they send me to another hospital, which is specialized for metabolic disorders. They thought I have CPT-II and they checked my genes. They released me because my blood-values stabilized (still not normal, but not threatening). After one month I got the result of the test and it turned out negative.

The third time i got this was two week ago. I started to cycle to school again and did it this time for only 4 days(Tuesday-Friday). I rested the weekend and went to the doctor and made a blood test. The CK was 3000 and a day after the test I went to the hospital and my CK was 13.000 (GOT(500), GPT(120), LDH (700) was also high). I went home under the condition, that i do not exercise and drink a lot. They now check all my muscle genes, if there is something wrong.

Just wanted to share my story because when i could not find something for my symptoms It was really strange. And maybe this helps. I will update when there is a result for my gene-test.

Edit: One thing that came to my mind right now are pain-reliever how was your experience, when you had this episodes. I got Ibuprofen and it did not help and Metamizol(Novalgin). Bot did not help no matter which dose.

Edit 2: My urine also did not turn brown it was clear
My doctor first tried gabapentin which is an anti-seizure medicine. The hope was that this would stop new pains from coming on but it did not seem to have any effect. More recently I was prescribed Valium which is a muscle relaxant. Did not seem to have a huge effect- MAYBE helped the stiffness resolve a bit quicker after the pain subsided. I only took 5mg though so possible a larger dose would have a greater effect.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS