Extreme quadriceps starting pain after 3-4 rest days

Page 17 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jan 5, 2022
Has someone tried to combine cycling with jogging? So for example, you go jogging the one day and the next day you go cycling, then you go jogging again and so on. If yes what were the results? Was there something different, or just pain in the upper and lower legs? And for how long did you do it?
Thanks in advance
I have done some running and experienced the same issue on 2-3 occasions. Normally run in my offseason as a replacement for some cycling volume October-December as well as sporadically throughout the year maybe 1-2 times per month. Pain is the same, triggers about 1-1.5miles for me, usually on or immediately after a downhill. Legs lock up and have the same searing pain, cramping sensation as on the bike.

I may not be the best use case for the running theory as I also introduce the variable of increased strength training during the months where I increase running volume. I have never experienced any issues during a strength session and I lift heavy (relative for me) squats and deadlifts 2x a week.

Craig

Jul 9, 2021
Has someone tried to combine cycling with jogging? So for example, you go jogging the one day and the next day you go cycling, then you go jogging again and so on. If yes what were the results? Was there something different, or just pain in the upper and lower legs? And for how long did you do it?
Thanks in advance
I have a lot of experience with this involving running and biking from years spent training for an Ironman.
I could never run first after 2 days off the bike (where my episodes on the bike would usually happen after 3 days of rest). If I did first, within 10-15 minutes of running my quads would slowly get tighter and tighter and that burning sensation would feel like my legs were filling with acid. As soon as it was unbearable I’d stop running and couldn’t restart again no matter what. If I biked first I’d have no issues running. After an episode during running if I biked later that same day and powered through the pain to where it clears up I would be ok to run the next day.
The higher the training load got the less time off was needed to trigger an episode.

Finally a diagnosis:

Today I have got the results of my DNA test and a Diagnosis. I have got a defect in a gene in the mitochondrial DNA, which causes, that a step in the cellular respiration may not work as it should. The exact gene is the MTND6 gene and there is one base which got substituted by another, which results in a missense-mutation, thus the protein can work but not as good as it should be.

Ergebnis: Variante m.14349A>G in MTND6 zu 100% detektierbar, den Aminosäureaustausch (p.(Tyr109His)) vorhersagend. (This is the quote from the results, stating what is wrong)

The problem is that this exact mutation has not been documented (or atleast it is stated in my results) in literature yet nor in a database such as MITOMAP, so I guess due to its rarity this will not be helpful for you guys but I just wanted to share it.

If someone wants the full report just message me but it is in German.

Reactions: Flexx0 and Golden.
Jan 4, 2021
Finally a diagnosis:

Today I have got the results of my DNA test and a Diagnosis. I have got a defect in a gene in the mitochondrial DNA, which causes, that a step in the cellular respiration may not work as it should. The exact gene is the MTND6 gene and there is one base which got substituted by another, which results in a missense-mutation, thus the protein can work but not as good as it should be.

Ergebnis: Variante m.14349A>G in MTND6 zu 100% detektierbar, den Aminosäureaustausch (p.(Tyr109His)) vorhersagend. (This is the quote from the results, stating what is wrong)

The problem is that this exact mutation has not been documented (or atleast it is stated in my results) in literature yet nor in a database such as MITOMAP, so I guess due to its rarity this will not be helpful for you guys but I just wanted to share it.

If someone wants the full report just message me but it is in German.
Hey,
Thank you for letting us now!

Are they sure this mutation is causing the issue? Is there anything you can do? Can you keep on cycling?
I'm also German so I'd be interested in the full report for sure!

Hey,
Thank you for letting us now!

Are they sure this mutation is causing the issue? Is there anything you can do? Can you keep on cycling?
I'm also German so I'd be interested in the full report for sure!
Due to fact that there are no prior cases they cannot be a 100% sure, but I had CK-Values up to 28.000 and the doctors said, that they could not get that high without some form of gendefect. And this is the only defect gene found, thus I guess it has to be the mutation causing the issue.

I can still cycle and I will continue with it, I have no problem cycling 30-40km but if I do it too hard my muscles will breakdown. If I do not ride 50km a day under a lot of pressure, which means that I have to ride 25km in the morning in 1h and 25km in the afternoon I will be fine. So it is not really restricting me and I can live somewhat without problems, even though I would like to cycle that much.

Currently I do not know if there is a way to treat it but the doctor told me, that a guy from the genetic facility in the hospital is very interested in the case and that I should call him, which I will definitely do.

Hope that answers your questions and I will send you the report in the evening because I am currently not at home.

Reactions: Golden.
Jan 4, 2021
Due to fact that there are no prior cases they cannot be a 100% sure, but I had CK-Values up to 28.000 and the doctors said, that they could not get that high without some form of gendefect. And this is the only defect gene found, thus I guess it has to be the mutation causing the issue.

I can still cycle and I will continue with it, I have no problem cycling 30-40km but if I do it too hard my muscles will breakdown. If I do not ride 50km a day under a lot of pressure, which means that I have to ride 25km in the morning in 1h and 25km in the afternoon I will be fine. So it is not really restricting me and I can live somewhat without problems, even though I would like to cycle that much.

Currently I do not know if there is a way to treat it but the doctor told me, that a guy from the genetic facility in the hospital is very interested in the case and that I should call him, which I will definitely do.

Hope that answers your questions and I will send you the report in the evening because I am currently not at home.
Very interesting! The highest I got Was over 80.000. At that point I wasn't able to bend my legs at all and my urine looked like blood. Don't even get me started on the pain...
I had two one week long hospital checks stays at the Neurological department of the Uni Klinik Jena, but they never bothered doing a genetic panel. I did pretty much every Neurological test available but I refused to do the muscle biopsy, because others with the same symptoms said they got no results from it. Did you ever do a muscle biopsy or was the genetic panel the fist thing your doctors advised?

Aug 24, 2022
Hi everyone.

So happy to learn all the stories you had shared. I’m gonna try all advices and analyze each guess. I read all pages in hope to find a certain solution, but it looks like we should wait for some more time for that…

I’m 37 yo man from Russia (peaceful russian…).
172cm high and 78 kg. Before I started to ride road bike I was 95 kg. A ride often for 2 years now.

My first episode appeared last year in the beginning of September after 1,5 week of tempo ride session. I’ve made about 600 km. It was huge for me. Then I spent lazy 2 or 3 days at home and faced the pain somewhere in my hip muscles while I was going down the stares to metro station. I was so scared that I asked my girl to meet me and help to get home. The next day, the pain disappeared. I just forgot about the whole thing for a year.

Now I’m in the end (hopefully) of my second episode. It leasts already for 2 weeks. This season I started to participate in local races so I spent all summer maiking 300km per week. Accidentally I caught a cold and I was forced to stay at home for 3 days, mostly in my bed. After this pause, I got back to my bike and my current episode of pain had started. And it didn’t go away yet. Stretching helps for a short period… rolling hurts a lot.

So all the symptoms are like the most of yours, guys.

In winter, I don’t have this problems - probably, because I train smart, mixing with gym and Nordic skiing. But for the second summer in a row I do only cycling and leave everything else aside, so, I’m having this episodes in August/September.

I will try to implement more different training types in my life. It may be some kind of key.

I was doing CrossFit since 2014 and sometimes I got carried away with it, but I never faced those attacks.

Btw during my current episode I tried to spin through pain (when the pain was less obvious) and I reached success. I think it should be some effort around ftp, not just spin around. It works. But I want to understand the exact mechanism of this shi*…

Wish to solve this problem for all of us. Stay health and peace to all of you.

P.S. Please don’t forget shere your stories here. I read this pages for a week and now when I finished, I don’t now what to read next.

Sorry for my poor English

Hi everyone.

So happy to learn all the stories you had shared. I’m gonna try all advices and analyze each guess. I read all pages in hope to find a certain solution, but it looks like we should wait for some more time for that…

I’m 37 yo man from Russia (peaceful russian…).
172cm high and 78 kg. Before I started to ride road bike I was 95 kg. A ride often for 2 years now.

My first episode appeared last year in the beginning of September after 1,5 week of tempo ride session. I’ve made about 600 km. It was huge for me. Then I spent lazy 2 or 3 days at home and faced the pain somewhere in my hip muscles while I was going down the stares to metro station. I was so scared that I asked my girl to meet me and help to get home. The next day, the pain disappeared. I just forgot about the whole thing for a year.

Now I’m in the end (hopefully) of my second episode. It leasts already for 2 weeks. This season I started to participate in local races so I spent all summer maiking 300km per week. Accidentally I caught a cold and I was forced to stay at home for 3 days, mostly in my bed. After this pause, I got back to my bike and my current episode of pain had started. And it didn’t go away yet. Stretching helps for a short period… rolling hurts a lot.

So all the symptoms are like the most of yours, guys.

In winter, I don’t have this problems - probably, because I train smart, mixing with gym and Nordic skiing. But for the second summer in a row I do only cycling and leave everything else aside, so, I’m having this episodes in August/September.

I will try to implement more different training types in my life. It may be some kind of key.

I was doing CrossFit since 2014 and sometimes I got carried away with it, but I never faced those attacks.

Btw during my current episode I tried to spin through pain (when the pain was less obvious) and I reached success. I think it should be some effort around ftp, not just spin around. It works. But I want to understand the exact mechanism of this shi*…

Wish to solve this problem for all of us. Stay health and peace to all of you.

P.S. Please don’t forget shere your stories here. I read this pages for a week and now when I finished, I don’t now what to read next.

Sorry for my poor English
Hey,
did you ever go to the hospital during one of your episodes (you did not mention it so I am curious), because if not I would highly recommend it, otherwise your kidneys could really suffer from this episodes. Even though I have not read a report in here, where someone got any kidney damage I would choose the save way. If not, remember to drink a lot of water to get the CK and other molecules out of your body. (During my episodes I drink 8-10 liters a day, I know this is not very healthy either but it flushes the CK out very efficiently and I test my blood regularly during the episode or I am already in the hospital. Find the way that suites the best for you because I would not recommend drinking that much.)

And to the spinning-through-thing I have experienced the same. If I start to cycle at the beginning of an episode, when I slowly start to feel the pain, it vanishes and goes away. Asked my doctor about it and he told me, that he thinks, that it is the same with muscle ache because there the pain also vanishes when you continue to train.

Get well soon and don't stop the grind :)

Reactions: lohmatik
Aug 24, 2022
Hey,
did you ever go to the hospital during one of your episodes (you did not mention it so I am curious), because if not I would highly recommend it, otherwise your kidneys could really suffer from this episodes. Even though I have not read a report in here, where someone got any kidney damage I would choose the save way. If not, remember to drink a lot of water to get the CK and other molecules out of your body. (During my episodes I drink 8-10 liters a day, I know this is not very healthy either but it flushes the CK out very efficiently and I test my blood regularly during the episode or I am already in the hospital. Find the way that suites the best for you because I would not recommend drinking that much.)

And to the spinning-through-thing I have experienced the same. If I start to cycle at the beginning of an episode, when I slowly start to feel the pain, it vanishes and goes away. Asked my doctor about it and he told me, that he thinks, that it is the same with muscle ache because there the pain also vanishes when you continue to train.

Get well soon and don't stop the grind :)
Hey, thanks for answer)
Yes this time I checked blood parameters including CK level and it was normal. But my results was in different from yours values. 3,6 ng/ml when <5,2 is reference. May be I checked my blood too late. Not in the beginning of episode. Next time I’ll check right away. I’ll post here)

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2022
Guys i've just thought. if we are considering this episode as a chemical metabolic phenomenon why it's getting better when starting stretching? Ok, it is hurt and helps for short period but still. Looks like if it is metabolic you wouldn`t fix it by mechanical.
Just thoughts

Last edited:
Hey fellow sufferers,
I have got an update from my case. I recently saw a human geneticist, who my doctor recommended to see, and showed him my genetic report. He looked at the report and my case and registered me as a participant for the MitoNet, they will now look at my DNA or mtDNA or both in more depth and do some more tests with it (I do not know what they are exactly doing, but the geneticist said they will test if my punctual mutation in my mtDNA really is the cause for my symptoms or something else.).

He said the whole procedure will take 1-2 years and then I will finally now the cause.

So for me there will (hopefully) be an answer soon.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS