• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Fast Company article: Livestrong

Worth a read. A new slant on the charity. I think some of you guys need to balance the comments at the bottom.

http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/150/can-livestrong-survive-lance.html

"As close as he and Armstrong are -- they've vacationed together and trained together for the New York City Marathon -- Ulman says he has never asked him about the charges. "That's not where my focus is," Ulman says. "We wouldn't be where we are, a movement of millions, if we didn't have a visible founder and if he hadn't put the money and effort into this. The upside [of Armstrong] outweighs any potential downside." But, he adds, "as a cause and as an organization, we want to live beyond any one individual. Cancer is going to be around a long time."

May 25, 2009
Visit site
turnkey303 said:
By "balance the comments at the bottom" you mean pile on more haterade and turn the article comments into another CN forum flame war?

The truth is often unpleasant, people may not want to face it, but it doesn't change the fact that it's the truth.

Writing it all off as "hate" as many people do in this forum is just another form of denial.

Jan 10, 2010
Visit site
oldschoolnik said:
The truth is often unpleasant, people may not want to face it, but it doesn't change the fact that it's the truth.

Writing it all off as "hate" as many people do in this forum is just another form of denial.

No, I don't write it ALL off as hate just a lot of it.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
reigarc said:
It's a good article, and completely true.
But don't expect anybody on this forum to make an objective argument about it.

This page has 419 views - no-one has jumped in it or made any kind of negative remark, except you.

Hows this for an objective argument- I liked the piece, but I have no way of knowing if it is as you say, 'completely true'.

The piece could certainly have looked in to why LA & CSE got the same amount of equity that the LAF did in the deal with Demand Media - and as the 'new' Livestrong name is being embraced is it now more a business than a charity.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
@Dr. Maserati +1

Evidence available indicates that LA has done much to serve "The cancer cause".

Equally evidence indicates LA has "feet of clay".

I don't think evidence of either attribute should detract from/deny the other.

Dr. Maserati said:
This page has 419 views - no-one has jumped in it or made any kind of negative remark, except you.

Hows this for an objective argument- I liked the piece, but I have no way of knowing if it is as you say, 'completely true'.

The piece could certainly have looked in to why LA & CSE got the same amount of equity that the LAF did in the deal with Demand Media - and as the 'new' Livestrong name is being embraced is it now more a business than a charity.

yeh. I do tend to take some of the claims with a grain of salt. There are some questions as to exactly how 'charitable' his foundation is. Thats not to say it isnt doing great things .... but there are some areas they could have expanded on a little more

Those comments are one of the big reasons why the Lance issue can be so infuriating on these forums. His fans are so clueless and ignorant. They haven't got a clue.

Sorry to briefly go off topic but with time differences I notice that the twittergate thread was closed. A couple of people even banned - thank God for that. Anyways to Scott and Simone Lemond, kudos to you and yours. "I took the road less travelled on, and that has made all the difference."

Digger said:
Those comments are one of the big reasons why the Lance issue can be so infuriating on these forums. His fans are so clueless and ignorant. They haven't got a clue.

Sorry to briefly go off topic but with time differences I notice that the twittergate thread was closed. A couple of people even banned - thank God for that. Anyways to Scott and Simone Lemond, kudos to you and yours. "I took the road less travelled on, and that has made all the difference."

Good kids. He won't mind me saying this but Scott was a big boozer at college and didn't mind a smoke either. He barely touched a bike in his entire life. After Greg got through his "dark" period he and Scott trained together and completed the etape. If memory serves me correctly Scott beat Dad? (2008)

Scott now rides a lot and does cyclocross.

The kids know the score about cycling and what went on.

Which makes you think what Lance is going to tell his kids when they get older about the d*ug thing? I think he made some stupid comment about Comeback 2.0 being about showing his kids it really was done “drug free”. Stupid. I mean why use your own children as your defence.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
thehog said:
Good kids. He won't mind me saying this but Scott was a big boozer at college and didn't mind a smoke either. He barely touched a bike in his entire life. After Greg got through his "dark" period he and Scott trained together and completed the etape. If memory serves me correctly Scott beat Dad? (2008)

Scott now rides a lot and does cyclocross.

The kids know the score about cycling and what went on.

Which makes you think what Lance is going to tell his kids when they get older about the d*ug thing? I think he made some stupid comment about Comeback 2.0 being about showing his kids it really was done “drug free”. Stupid. I mean why use your own children as your defence.

i imagine their mom will do their best to protect them from pharmastrong and i imagine he will lose interest in them as a guy that selfish cant see past his own nose and will only roll them out for photocalls etc...

i'd like to think they'll try and make their own paths in life far from liestrong and everything surrounded by it...

thehog said:

Come on Hog, you should know by now that there is nothing and no-one sacred in his world other than him. His kids, others' kids, none of it is out of bounds. I bet he is still deceiving his mother over his doping. Planet Armstrong is in for one hell of a rough ride when the truth comes out (or rather, is confirmed).

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
la.margna said:
any mentioning of the $2m in fuel charges last year for CheatStrong's private jet for his holy mission? :cool:

I've heard this statement a hundred times... can anyone provide a link showing this?

I'm not saying you're wrong, I just want to see where this statement came from. There's nothing in the livestrong financials indicating the funding of a private jet reserved for Lance... but I'm assuming there's some documentation somewhere showing this.

Or is it one of those things that "everyone knows" but nobody can prove?

kurtinsc said:
I've heard this statement a hundred times... can anyone provide a link showing this?

I'm not saying you're wrong, I just want to see where this statement came from. There's nothing in the livestrong financials indicating the funding of a private jet reserved for Lance... but I'm assuming there's some documentation somewhere showing this.

I think showing up to events and races in his jet is somewhat of a giveaway. The travel budget Livestrong doubling since Comeback 2.0 is also a giveaway. What you think he's paying for this out of his own pocket? Every race he did had a livestrong connection and the jet was used. He even flew to Corsica in the darn jet.

The public financials are not going to have a line item for jet fuel!! It all comes under travel. You tell me how a 30 people company manages to burn 2m in travel per year.

Perhaps a journalist could ask him what Livestrong spends on jet fuel per year. But that’s just not going to happen.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
kurtinsc said:

a bit of digging will find out milege of LA and then work out the cost for jet fuel add some $$ for airport charges and the cost for private jets use of airport facilities and the figure will soon reach $2m.

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
I think showing up to events and races in his jet is somewhat of a giveaway. The travel budget Livestrong doubling since Comeback 2.0 is also a giveaway. What you think he's paying for this out of his own pocket? Every race he did had a livestrong connection and the jet was used. He even flew to Corsica in the darn jet.

The public financials are not going to have a line item for jet fuel!! It all comes under travel. You tell me how a 30 people company manages to burn 2m in travel per year.

Perhaps a journalist could ask him what Livestrong spends on jet fuel per year. But that’s just not going to happen.

I never understood the outrage of him using a livestrong jet if it is being used for ANYTHING that can be considered to be part of the initiative. If he flies to a race in the jet, and he claims he is racing to raise awareness, then it technically can fall under the budget.
I am guessing your argument is that he has plenty of money to pay for it out of pocket? If that is the case, I am sure he does, however, people are greedy. Maybe I am cynical, but I wouldn't expect different from many high profile celebrities. They are what they are.

altark123 said:
I never understood the outrage of him using a livestrong jet if it is being used for ANYTHING that can be considered to be part of the initiative. If he flies to a race in the jet, and he claims he is racing to raise awareness, then it technically can fall under the budget.
I am guessing your argument is that he has plenty of money to pay for it out of pocket? If that is the case, I am sure he does, however, people are greedy. Maybe I am cynical, but I wouldn't expect different from many high profile celebrities. They are what they are.

Understand. But most celebrities pay for their own flights and fly on commercial airlines. Mr. Armstrong not only has a charity paying for his travel but its also at private jet rates. Is that the most effective manner to spend donations? If it was his own money then he can spend it anyway he likes but its Livestrong money which ultimately is your money. Yes he has fly for awareness and brand recognition but in a private jet? Come on.

So to put it in perspective:- Austin Texas to Adelaide is a 22 hour flight. Thats 44 hours return. At $5000 per hour makes it $220,000 on flights alone. Then Armstrong was paid 2 million to attend which he pocketed for himself and nothing back to Livestrong. Accommodation was picked up by the TDU. So its cost Livestrong $220,000+ to fly him there for nothing in return? That’s a very solid deal. No wonder he’s going back to the TDU!! Thanks cancer!

This weekend at a bicycle exhibition here in The Netherlands, there was a large LiveStrong booth. The atmosphere had an evengelistical vibe to it. I didn't step onto it, fearing I'd cause a riot by asking the wrong question in the wrong tone.
There was a mini-booth outside, you had to avoid hitting it, for a guy selling bracelets. "sales goes 100% to the fight against cancer". Why won't they just name a list of actual charities where the money will be wired to? Answer is simple, because it won't.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Cloxxki said:
This weekend at a bicycle exhibition here in The Netherlands, there was a large LiveStrong booth. The atmosphere had an evengelistical vibe to it. I didn't step onto it, fearing I'd cause a riot by asking the wrong question in the wrong tone.
There was a mini-booth outside, you had to avoid hitting it, for a guy selling bracelets. "sales goes 100% to the fight against cancer". Why won't they just name a list of actual charities where the money will be wired to? Answer is simple, because it won't.

I have been to the Armstrong booths at the Tour of California. The workers there were positive towards sports and health. They were not selling bands they actually gave us livestrong pins and bands. The middle aged ladies were having a ball talking to Carmicheal and having their fotos taken with him.

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
kurtinsc said:

http://www.livestrong.org/pdfs/4-0/2008-2009combinedauditreport page 27 og the 2008/09 audit report.

The $10mill for legal is also a bit impressive imho. But the bottom line is that out of their 35million budget 5 million were awards or grants, almost the same they used for advertising. To me it sounds very very small for a non-profit help the world" organisation.

Apr 7, 2009
Visit site
la.margna said:
any mentioning of the $2m in fuel charges last year for CheatStrong's private jet for his holy mission? :cool:

I've seen this mentioned on this board several times. Interesting how easy it is to bash Lance for using a private jet yet there is no, none, never a mention of the Govt. using a Private Jet to fly the President around at a cost of $500K everytime it takes off. Heck, Mr. Obama has been using our tax money to fly all over the country trying to rack up support for Democrats. Hmm......

I personally find it sickening that our Govt. continues to spend needlessly. To me this is a much bigger deal than Lance flying a private jet. Heck, he brings more good publicity than the Pres. ever will.

An no mention of the Private jets used by major corporations that continue to pay out huge bonuses (MILLIONS AND MILLIONS) every year. Maybe they are should be investing that money into the salaries/careers of their employees instead.

May 23, 2010
Visit site
altark123 said:

Lance uses his foundation blatanly to give him cover from his indiscretions by making him appear a doer of good. Here's an example - a high-profile donation by his foundation to the Haiti earthquake victims. A worthy cause, but what does this have to do with cancer? Many celebrities shelled cash out of their own pockets - Lance certainly could afford it, but the foundation was an easy way to get all the visibility at no cost.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/cycling/2010-01-13-lance-armstrong-haiti_N.htm

A once-a-month visit to a hospital to see real cancer patients, as the article describes, seems to be his time investment into the charity side of the foundation. The rest is pure business that has made him a very rich man.

thehog said:
Worth a read. A new slant on the charity. I think some of you guys need to balance the comments at the bottom.

http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/150/can-livestrong-survive-lance.html

"As close as he and Armstrong are -- they've vacationed together and trained together for the New York City Marathon -- Ulman says he has never asked him about the charges. "That's not where my focus is," Ulman says. "We wouldn't be where we are, a movement of millions, if we didn't have a visible founder and if he hadn't put the money and effort into this. The upside [of Armstrong] outweighs any potential downside." But, he adds, "as a cause and as an organization, we want to live beyond any one individual. Cancer is going to be around a long time."

am I the only one concerned about such a statement?
"hi, we plan on this disease to never find a cure and be around for a very long time so our organisation can make a shedload of moola from it"...
cnuts

TRENDING THREADS