• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Fausto Coppi

I was just looking through my Velo News Giro guide and the most interesting historical fact that I've read so far is that Coppi's five victories (1940, 47, 49, 52, and 53) have a 13 year span. It would take more Googling than I'm willing to do, but I wonder if there is a *** span for a GT or even a classic. Quick Wiki: it looks like Bartali had 12, and Gimomndi 11. Contador has 9.

Fausto Coppi has a span of 14 years between his first Tour of Italy and his last Tour of Lombardy.

But it should be relativised. The main Italian race between both wars had depleted fields, almost all editions were all Italian affairs. It all changed with the start of the Challenge Desgrange-Colombo in 1948.

But oh I get it, only GT's matter. So 13 years, yes.

Echoes said:
Fausto Coppi has a span of 14 years between his first Tour of Italy and his last Tour of Lombardy.

But it should be relativised. The main Italian race between both wars had depleted fields, almost all editions were all Italian affairs. It all changed with the start of the Challenge Desgrange-Colombo in 1948.

But oh I get it, only GT's matter. So 13 years, yes.
Well, I was reading about the Giro so its less about what matters most, and more about what I was reading, and what's on tap for the next three weeks. Note that I included classics in my question.

Joop Zoetemelk is always a guy worth bringing up for these. Olympic gold in the TTT in 1968 may be overlooked because of being amateur in those days, but he was 2nd in Le Tour in 1970 and 1971, won his first national jersey in 1971, and won his last major race with the Amstel Gold Race in 1987 (after winning the Worlds in 1985). It was only after his last Tour podium in 1982 that his GT performances started to wane.

TRENDING THREADS