• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Fausto Masnada Grinta Appreciation Thread

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Next up guys , is the Tour of Oman and before it the Muscat Classic, for Fausto.

Quickstep have a strong team with Fausto, Hirt and Vansevenont. They will be trying for the GC with those riders (1st and 2nd overall last year), and Mauri particularly should be good for Muscat classic, there is a 1km climb at 9.5% just 6km from the finish.

They are also bringing Merlier with Cerny and Van Lerberge , I don't really understand this because only stage 1 looks like it will be a sprint. The race is very hilly. But maybe its training for the classics .

Next up guys , is the Tour of Oman and before it the Muscat Classic, for Fausto.

Quickstep have a strong team with Fausto, Hirt and Vansevenont. They will be trying for the GC with those riders (1st and 2nd overall last year), and Mauri particularly should be good for Muscat classic, there is a 1km climb at 9.5% just 6km from the finish.

They are also bringing Merlier with Cerny and Van Lerberge , I don't really understand this because only stage 1 looks like it will be a sprint. The race is very hilly. But maybe its training for the classics .

Those early season schedules are finalized before the season starts, but like a lot of races Oman didn't announce their route till the 2nd half of Januari. Algarve already has Jakobsen and Andalucia is also not for sprinters at all. Oman usually had sprint stages so it was an obvious choice. They maybe could've gone to Saudi instead but I think Merliers baby was born that week so that wouldn't have worked either. I wouldn't be surprised if they start Saudi or Besseges instead of Oman next year tho.

That being said, they definitely have a very strong team for the GC there, probably the strongest together with Movistar. Mauri should indeed be the leader for Muscat and the other 2 for Oman.

Reactions: Ilmaestro99
Those early season schedules are finalized before the season starts, but like a lot of races Oman didn't announce their route till the 2nd half of Januari. Algarve already has Jakobsen and Andalucia is also not for sprinters at all. Oman usually had sprint stages so it was an obvious choice. They maybe could've gone to Saudi instead but I think Merliers baby was born that week so that wouldn't have worked either. I wouldn't be surprised if they start Saudi or Besseges instead of Oman next year tho.

That being said, they definitely have a very strong team for the GC there, probably the strongest together with Movistar. Mauri should indeed be the leader for Muscat and the other 2 for Oman.

Merlier is also listed for UAE Tour right now, so it might simply be a training ride for him in Oman. Maybe he doesnt finish it.

Reactions: Ilmaestro99
Merlier is also listed for UAE Tour right now, so it might simply be a training ride for him in Oman. Maybe he doesnt finish it.

Yes, he's riding the UAE tour. There is enough days between them to ride both (Cav is doing it too), but I do think the Saudi - UAE Tour (Like Groenewegen) is a better combination for sprinters now that Oman has 4 uphill finishes.

View: https://www.instagram.com/p/CtYq4dXMC51/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

'Some of you may have seen from my social media that I underwent a medical procedure on Friday.
The last 12 month has not been easy for me, with a persistent saddle sore causing me a lot of discomfort on the bike.
It sounds obvious, but a saddle sore it's a big problem when you spend a lot of time on your bike
With the support of the Soudal quickstep medical team, I underwent a procedure carried out by Dr antonino cassisi, who is a renowned expert in this field and has treated many other leading cyclists, with great success.
Dr Cassisi has advised me that the procedure went well and that I will need 4 weeks off the bike to recover from the procedure.
I am hoping this is a permanent solution, and I can get back to enjoying racing and training with my teammates
It is disappointing to miss part of my season. I am hoping that I can maybe ride a few races at the end of the season.
I want to thank Cassisi and the Soudal quickstep medical team for their care and for everybody that has sent me kind messages and good wishes. I hope to see you all on the road soon'.

@SHAD0W93 @QueenStagiaire @Salvarani @SafeBet @Logic-is-your-friend @Andy schleck @Samu Cuenca