• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Fausto Masnada Grinta Appreciation Thread

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I was reasonably happy with Oman performance. I would like if it was less anonymous, but the courses prevented attacks.

The constant shortening of stages, the cold and wet weather, the explosive stages all went against Fausto, and he still took a 16th overall. His level is not always so good in the first race after a long break. So it's a good start.

In muscat classic he did a good attack but couldn't snap the elastic, and then had to work for the team.

This weekend Fausto will race the two French .pro classics, ardeche and drome. It's good opportunities for him, because quickstep team is not so strong, so he can be a main card, but again will probably will be really cold which he doesn't like.

There are some top riders in these races, Hirshci, woods, skejmose, madouas, gregore, bardet, kron, Van gils, Gall, APP. A good test for Fausto..

My main hope is for a proper uninterrupted season with a full race programme and opportunities. We didn't really get that since 2020, which was covid anyway.

Last edited:
Ok it was a pretty bad weekend at those french races. I know Fausto doesn't like at all the cold, but still not good performances. Not a great start of the season after altitude camp. But he doesn't do his best performances after a long break.

Tomorrow Fausto start on Tirreno Adriatico, his first participation since his 6th overall in 2020. But that addition was more warm, in September. Nevertheless I am excited to see him in these big races again.

The stages are long which suit Fausto. Stages 3,4 and 5 will be good for looking for opportunities, the courses suit him. There is no real GC leader in quickstep. If he had better form than he showed in February I would be really excited. A top 10 plus stage win would be possible. Hopefully we see him in the attack.

He's always sick and staying healthy is an integral part of being a good pro cyclist. So yeah I've lost hope.

Italian riders nowadays are so frail, they rarely perform in bad weather, they fall sick very often and struggle to recover or regain a good shape.
I know heat training is the new cool but Italian riders should try a cold training protocol and see if it works better.

He's always sick and staying healthy is an integral part of being a good pro cyclist. So yeah I've lost hope.

Italian riders nowadays are so frail, they rarely perform in bad weather, they fall sick very often and struggle to recover or regain a good shape.
I know heat training is the new cool but Italian riders should try a cold training protocol and see if it works better.
I agree completely and don't have much to add..

I saw Fausto saying, he only likes it when it's June or later and 25+ degrees, for me this seems a limiting mindset. He's probably not the only one like this, but it annoyed me a bit. Anyway some of the problems aren't his fault .

It's sad to look back, a guy who I saw as a big talent and a big character became somebody that I hope can just stay healthy for a bit and show himself at races. Now he has no contract for next year and is unable to do anything except fight to stay in the bunch.

In the next few months he has to deliver something.

Wtf was going on at quickstep in 2021?

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
I have insights into Fausto's training numbers. Every week he does the Bergamo Alta at full power. Last week he did it in 2:59 minutes, but his goal is to do it in about 1:47 before Lombardia comes around. The hype is real, he's gonna win big this year!"

*As long as the imposter Klaas Lodewyck isn't his DS
Bergamo alta at full power? Scientists all over Europe will be very confused this summer when seismic activity is detected in lombardy more than once

TRENDING THREADS