• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Favourite quotes

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
What are your favourite quotes? They can be philosophical, humourous, political or on any topic that you can think of.

NOTE: We already have a thread for famous forum quotes, so leave those for that thread.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
"If you set out to be liked, you would be prepared to compromise on anything at any time, and you would achieve nothing" - Margaret Thatcher

"The man who never made a mistake, never made anything" - A lot of different people are attributed to variations of this quote.

Just remember what ol' Jack Burton does when the earth quakes, and the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake. Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big ol' storm right square in the eye and he says, "Give me your best shot, pal. I can take it."

--Jack Burton

Look what would I do? With my record I can't even work civil service or join the damn army. If I quit now, then I took all this chance for nothing and I go back to being nothing. Working some jive job for chump change day after day. Well if that's all I'm supposed to do then they gonna have to kill me 'cause that ain't enough.

--Youngblood Priest

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Mario Andretti: If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

My version of actions are louder than words: "Solutions, not noise pollution"

Winston Churchill: If you're going through hell, keep going.

Winston Churchill: Never, never, never give up.

Winston Churchill: I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.

Winston Churchill: The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

Many great quotes by both Winston Churchill and Mark Twain.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Here's some more favourites:

"If you are not free to choose wrongly and irresponsibly, you are not free at all" - Jacob Hornberger

"Consensus: the process of abandoning all beliefs, principles, values and policies in which no one believes but to which no one objects" - Margaret Thatcher

"I think we have gone through a period when too many children and people have been given to understand "I have a problem, it is the Government's job to cope with it!" or "I have a problem, I will go and get a grant to cope with it!" "I am homeless, the Government must house me!" - Margaret Thatcher

"Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment."
Buddha

"Health is the greatest gift, contentment the greatest wealth, faithfulness the best relationship."
Buddha

"Religion is the opium of the people"
Karl Marx

"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening - but this wasn't it" - Groucho Marx.

Also "I find television very educational. Every time someone switches it on I go into another room and read a good book."

In fact, all things Groucho. The Marx Brothers are possibly the greatest comedy troupe of all time.

the asian said:
"Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment."
Buddha

"Health is the greatest gift, contentment the greatest wealth, faithfulness the best relationship."
Buddha

"Religion is the opium of the people"
Karl Marx

Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people".

Full quote is better, and shows what he actually meant by it ;)

(not trying to be a duche, but the quote is put in the wrong context so many times that we need to set it straight.)

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
A few of my favourite cycling-related quotes:

"Treachery and old age shall overcome youth and skill." - Coppi?

“The hardest part about going training is putting on your socks”.- cycling coach, David Sanders

"But to say that the race is the metaphor for the life is to miss the point. The race is everything. It obliterates whatever isn't racing. Life is the metaphor for the race."
- Donald Antrim

"Road racing imitates life, the way it would be without the corruptive influence of civilization. When you see an enemy lying on the ground, what's your first reaction? To help him to his feet. In road racing, you kick him to death." - Tim Krabbe in 'The Rider'.

"Oui, mais pas de femme tous de suite". Stephen Roche (after collapsing and being unconscious after stage, as a response to if he was OK).