• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Floyd as Deep Throat?

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Anyone else getting some eerie 1974-ish vibes from all this stuff? And what was that quote-- "Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it"?
Let's see. . . if Floyd is Deep Throat and Walsh and Ballester are Woodward and Bernstein. . .gee, who can we cast as Nixon?

A

Anonymous

Thom Weisel?

bu_ipomarket24_c_21j.jpg

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Oh, good call. . . he's the guy who OWNED that company that Lance just worked for, right? Gotta like the jowls, though; quite Nixon-esque!

A

Anonymous

I am not sure I see Floyd as the Linda Lovelace type...in fact, I am positive I don't want to see that.

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
The difference between Deep Throat and FLandis is that Deep Throat was a hero of sorts but FLandis is just a scorned, lying, thieving, hypocrit trying to get revenge. Whether or not he takes down the Lords of Doping, he is not a hero. Let's not lose sight of who and what FLandis really is and what his motives are.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Slo & Old said:
The difference between Deep Throat and FLandis is that Deep Throat was a hero of sorts but FLandis is just a scorned, lying, thieving, hypocrit trying to get revenge. Whether or not he takes down the Lords of Doping, he is not a hero. Let's not lose sight of who and what FLandis really is and what his motives are.

True enough; I've always thought if anyone deserved praise in this stuff it's Jesus Manzano. Wonder what he's doing now-- he could be Archibald Cox for us.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Slo & Old said:

What Floyd is, is the latest of a long line of drug cheat cyclists to come clean. Because I'm not Floyd, I don't claim to know what his motives really are. Do you? If so, how exactly?

Armstrong OTOH is a far richer, far more famous drug cheat cyclist who still won't come clean and hides behind his "I'm saving the world from cancer" shtick every time he's asked a difficult question. He's arguably far more of a lying, thieving hypocrite than Floyd - just not scorned . . . yet.

HV is a stuffed shirt, the former head of the corrupt UCI, and still involved with the arguably-more-corrupt IOC. HV retired shortly after presiding over the golden years of EPO abuse (while doing nothing about it) and made sure that his hand-picked successor had no meaningful competition for the job. HV, the UCI as a whole, and McQuaid (as evidenced by his recent comments) have no real interest in the fallout that will likely come if/when the true extent of systemic doping within cycling becomes known to the general public.

I'm not asking people to see Floyd as a hero - but I give him respect for dragging his a$$ through the mud to expose the problem for what it is. The same thing cannot be said of Lance, Hein, or the UCI.

Slo & Old said:

Well, everyone's got their flaws.

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
powerste said:
What Floyd is, is the latest of a long line of drug cheat cyclists to come clean. Because I'm not Floyd, I don't claim to know what his motives really are. Do you? If so, how exactly?

Floyd is the one who likes to quote the Bible lately. How about this quote for shedding light on Floyd's motives, "by their fruits ye shall know them".

Anyone who cheats, especially Armstrong, should be hammered to the fullest extent of the law. But Floyd should get the same punishment that all the other dopers get. Here are Floyd's fruits that reflect his motives:

1) Doped at USPS because he chose to. Nobody forced him. To suggest otherwise is drinking the Kool-Aid.
2) Took doping to Phonak and spread the corruption.
3) Won the 2006 TdF using PEDs (a criminal offense), after other GC contenders were busted prior to the start and after the Sith Lord of Doping had retired.
4) Lied under oath (a criminal offense) multiple times.
5) Stole innocent people's money to fund his litigation based on lies of innocence (a criminal offense).
6) Stole people's money selling a book that was completely full of lies. Nice read. Not criminal but should have been.
7) Lied to his closest friends and confidents who spent their personal fortunes and hundreds of hours of time defending him. Totally abused Dr. Kay.
8) Tried to use "the truth" to blackmail the other thugs in the peloton as recently as May (blackmail is also a criminal offense).
9) Sold his story to the Wall Street Journal, out of the goodness of his heart.

So, before we cannonize St. Floyd, let's look at the truth that he now claims to love so well. I think it is fair to say at best, he is a theif in a den of thieves. If Armstrong, Hincapie, Leipheimer, Zabriskie, et al deserve to go to the pinstripe hotel, Floyd ought to be there to greet them.

Feb 21, 2010
Visit site
Slo & Old said:
powerste said:

Floyd is the one who likes to quote the Bible lately. How about this quote for shedding light on Floyd's motives, "by their fruits ye shall know them".

Anyone who cheats, especially Armstrong, should be hammered to the fullest extent of the law. But Floyd should get the same punishment that all the other dopers get. Here are Floyd's fruits that reflect his motives:

Slo & Old said:
1) Doped at USPS because he chose to. Nobody forced him. To suggest otherwise is drinking the Kool-Aid.

I think Landis' confessional illustrates it as they were requiring it and he was welcoming it. Two wrongs but not all on Floyd.

Slo & Old said:
2) Took doping to Phonak and spread the corruption.

Who else on Phonak has it been shown that Floyd facilitated their doping?

Slo & Old said:
3) Won the 2006 TdF using PEDs (a criminal offense), after other GC contenders were busted prior to the start and after the Sith Lord of Doping had retired.

Which criminal law? A French one? If so, then, yes, and he was convicted and served the imposed sanction.

Slo & Old said:
4) Lied under oath (a criminal offense) multiple times.

Please show us all where in that arbitration, which has no power to subpoena, hold in contempt, impose physical sanction, a person can be prosecuted for criminal perjury...

Slo & Old said:
5) Stole innocent people's money to fund his litigation based on lies of innocence (a criminal offense).

One journalist keenly pointed out it was not called the Floyd Innocence Fund... Basing on the idea he was presumed innocent (his right), I really don't see the "criminality" of it, please cite some law to back up your claim.

6) Stole people's money selling a book that was completely full of lies. Nice read. Not criminal but should have been.

Slo & Old said:
7) Lied to his closest friends and confidents who spent their personal fortunes and hundreds of hours of time defending him. Totally abused Dr. Kay.

You presume this to be the case. Any proof?

Slo & Old said:
8) Tried to use "the truth" to blackmail the other thugs in the peloton as recently as May (blackmail is also a criminal offense).

I read the emails released by TRS, no blackmail was there. Is there another citation you can provide?

Slo & Old said:
9) Sold his story to the Wall Street Journal, out of the goodness of his heart.

Really? You have "PROOF" the WSJ paid Landis for the story? Please provide it. As far as anyone has ever known, the WSJ does not "pay" for stories.

Slo & Old said:
So, before we cannonize St. Floyd, let's look at the truth that he now claims to love so well. I think it is fair to say at best, he is a theif in a den of thieves. If Armstrong, Hincapie, Leipheimer, Zabriskie, et al deserve to go to the pinstripe hotel, Floyd ought to be there to greet them.

The difference, as I see it, is he is the one who finally gave it all up. For his reasons may be many, and are subject to all of our own interpretations, it is probably for a dozen or so motivations. If it is simply your desire to hold Landis accountable, like the others, you surely must also concede the price he has already paid for those mistakes. If you do not, then your ignorance is only exceeded by your wordcount.

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Here's a low word count comment for thought. If Armstrong came out with a mia culpa statement, would people make excuses for him? I wouldn't.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Slo & Old said:
Here's a low word count comment for thought. If Armstrong came out with a mia culpa statement, would people make excuses for him? I wouldn't.

My response would depend on what he actually said/did - if his mea culpa included credible explanations of the gory details of systemic doping, the omerta, UCI's role in (at best) ignoring it or (at worst) covering it up, etc etc, then LA's stock in my eyes would skyrocket (not that that actually matters to anyone else :D )

As I said before, I'm not lobbying to have Floyd sainted. But I do appreciate that his actions may shed some light on a problem that is much bigger than him. And his steps have cost him personally - he's clearly burned a lot of bridges and basically has no career prospects in cycling.

For Lance to come clean AND expose the bigger uglier truth would be huge. I wouldn't make excuses for him, anymore than I am for Floyd. But I would have tremendous respect for him for making that decision and appreciation if it helped uncover the whole stinking s**theap.

TRENDING THREADS