• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
Does Floyd Landis still maintain that he did not use testosterone during 2006 Tour? I remember in the week following his confession/revelations, he stated that he was not using testosterone but growth hormone. What is his explanation for the positive test? None of the recent interviews that I've seen/read have covered the topic-- they seem to only ask questions that they feel he wants to answer. If this has already been covered please point me in the right direction.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
He most definitely DENIES using what he tested positive for....even though he admits doing plenty of other things. Probably the reasoning is legal problems surrounding a full admission.

As Lemond the great says...... "I believe MOST of Floyd Landis' statements..."

........Care to help us out with the parts you don't believe in, Greg???

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:
He didn't try to explain his positive. He said he knew it would look silly if he tried. Assuming he's telling the truth, a theory out there is that he got a contaminated blood bag. So it would be the same case as Contador.

I was thinking the exact same. On the other hand, it would still be his own blood, wouldn't it? So he did then dope himself with the testosteron some time before the Tour, when drawing the blood, correct?

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:
He didn't try to explain his positive. He said he knew it would look silly if he tried. Assuming he's telling the truth, a theory out there is that he got a contaminated blood bag. So it would be the same case as Contador.

Hmmm... who would have the justification and means to ensure a bag got contaminated...

sniper said:
I was thinking the exact same. On the other hand, it would still be his own blood, wouldn't it? So he did then dope himself with the testosteron some time before the Tour, when drawing the blood, correct?
Yes, Landis admitted he doped with testosterone, just not during the Tour (willingly, at least).

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:

That's quite the contaminated blood bag. What was his ratio again? 11:1?

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Polish said:
Inspector Bordry and the AFLD's?

Isn't that what Floyd argued?

Of course! We all know that's how much the French hate the Yanks! I was actually thinking of someone who may have a bit more spite as a prime motivator, but I admire your quick trigger finger...

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
I just think it's hilarious that he's confessing and "coming clean", yet he refuses to admit to the very thing that caused all of this in the first place. And nobody questions him on it because he is now the "saviour of the sport"

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Most likely the testosterone was in his system from when he banked his blood, he may of thought it was completely out of his system but did he test it? Now that he has admitted to blood doping the question to be asked is if he tested his blood when he stored it for such substances. If he did test it and it came back negative then maybe it was re-introduced to the stored blood, if he did not take it as he states.

I think he had it in his system when he stored it and when he re-infused himself with the stored blood it got back in his system.

Still some reporter (hint hint CN) should ask him that.

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
ElChingon said:
Most likely the testosterone was in his system from when he banked his blood, he may of thought it was completely out of his system but did he test it? Now that he has admitted to blood doping the question to be asked is if he tested his blood when he stored it for such substances. If he did test it and it came back negative then maybe it was re-introduced to the stored blood, if he did not take it as he states.

I think he had it in his system when he stored it and when he re-infused himself with the stored blood it got back in his system.

That would make perfect sense if his ratio wasn't so ridiculous. What did he do, extract the blood while wearing 15 testosterone patches?

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Altitude said:
That would make perfect sense if his ratio wasn't so ridiculous. What did he do, extract the blood while wearing 15 testosterone patches?

How much would cost to 'tweak' a test result, if you had an in with the right people? As much as a Sysmex machine?

Altitude said:
I just think it's hilarious that he's confessing and "coming clean", yet he refuses to admit to the very thing that caused all of this in the first place. And nobody questions him on it because he is now the "saviour of the sport"

Funny, this thread would seem to provide ample evidence of him being questioned, as do all of the previous threads on the topic.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Altitude said:
It isn't a popular position to take in the clinic. Floyd's work in all this constitutes an assassination job. Of which is one aspect of Omerta that actually makes a bit of sense. Considering FL can come out and lie again by claiming Bruyneel popped his dopey cherry. He is, not so subtly, cherry picking who he wants to go down within his story.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
ElChingon said:

Uh. That's off limits due to ongoing litigation.....

May 18, 2009
Visit site
scribe said:
It isn't a popular position to take in the clinic. Floyd's work in all this constitutes an assassination job. Of which is one aspect of Omerta that actually makes a bit of sense. Considering FL can come out and lie again by claiming Bruyneel popped his dopey cherry. He is, not so subtly, cherry picking who he wants to go down within his story.

You don't know that....all you know is what was leaked in the emails.

That being said, it is easy to see that this whole ordeal is not about "coming clean" lol. If he was riding for RS we wouldn't be talking about this right now. If LA slipped him a few hundred thousand under the table to STFU this wouldn't be happening. I still don't know why LA didn't take care of him. :confused: Bad move 20/20.

He is also lying IMO about the testosterone because of legal issues. How convenient the only thing he cannot admit to, of the grocery list of PEDs, is the thing he got popped for. :rolleyes:

Yes, this is all about revenge.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704911704575326753200584006.html

"Mr. Landis said he had taken testosterone while training for the Tour. But, as he told officials for his Phonak team, he hadn't done so during the race. The next day, Mr. Landis said, team officials advised him to give a press conference to deny taking testosterone during the race. Mr. Landis flew to Spain, where a pair of Spanish lawyers had arranged what he thought was a meeting with a single reporter. Instead, he said, they ushered him into a giant press conference and handed him a statement that had been translated from Spanish. Mr. Landis tripped on the odd wording as he read the statement aloud. He said he realized immediately he had come off badly.

Minutes after the press conference ended, Mr. Landis said, he got a phone call. It was Mr. Armstrong.

Mr. Armstrong's message was simple, Mr. Landis said: If anyone asked if he had taken performance-enhancing drugs, he should respond "absolutely not," and stop talking. Mr. Landis said Mr. Armstrong advised him to get a lawyer and to not say anything else.

So, his own admissions support the theory of inadvertent testosterone in an in-tour transfusion/blood-bag. Floyd may literally be telling the truth, didn't use Testosterone during the tour and didn't realize his autologous transfusion was tainted.

And, interesting that Lance allegedly offered the same advice he has personally followed for years. Its worked so far for him - but makes his accusations that Landis is a liar pretty hypocritical, considering that he himself may be a pathological liar.

Pseudologia fantastica

"Pathological lying is falsification entirely disproportionate to any discernible end in view, may be extensive and very complicated, and may manifest over a period of years or even a lifetime."

Pseudologia fantastica may also present as false memory syndrome, where the sufferer genuinely believes that fictitious events have taken place, regardless that these events are fantasies. Such as winning seven tours "clean," at this point he may actually believe it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudologia_fantastica

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Getting Test from a transfusion is very unlikely

As I understand it Test usually resides in the Plasma, which is spun out in the blood doping process leaving just RBC.

The fact is the IRMS test showed Floyd used test throughout the Tour.

Race Radio said:
Getting Test from a transfusion is very unlikely

As I understand it Test usually resides in the Plasma, which is spun out in the blood doping process leaving just RBC.

The fact is the IRMS test showed Floyd used test throughout the Tour.

Another theory up in smoke thanks to RR.

How about this one, he can't admit to it because he told his team he hadn't - perhaps some financial, liability, or some contractual issues. Though, as I remember, the team was complicit and according to Floyd sponsored his doping regiment? Maybe Phonak has receipts?

TubularBills said:
Another theory up in smoke thanks to RR.

How about this one, he can't admit to it because he told his team he hadn't - perhaps some financial, liability, or some contractual issues. Though, as I remember, the team was complicit and according to Floyd sponsored his doping regiment? Maybe Phonak has receipts?

I don't think he would lie about this now purely for monetary reason - he hasn't got any anyway! And you can't cut the hairs of a bald man...

To me it does actually seem like he genuinely doesn't know where the testo came from during the tour. He's completely up front with the fact he used it prior to the Tour and that he used other stuff during the Tour.

If he's lying about it now it must be something more problematic than simply money - maybe to do with all the hoo-hah around the lab-hacking, claims of fraud and so on?

I also think it's interesting he still very much has a beef with the authorities about how dope cases are run. Although he's happy to say "yeah, I did it", he clearly feels accused cyclists are treated unfairly in the process.

Before this thread, I thought that the whole "I didn't dope in Mercury or when I was 2nd in the Dauphiné" thing was more unbelievable than the bit about the testosterone. Maybe Landis, like other doped riders, needs to think he could do it clean or something.

TRENDING THREADS