• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Football: Holland - USA

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
ak-zaaf said:
anyone watching? :D

I wish...I am a US citizen who has lived in the Netherlands in the 1980s. My friends have said I am an honorary Dutchman!! I am proud of that. I also like to wear orange...Go Dutch!!

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
I am. Not sure how much this will tell us considering we are missing 6 players.

Friendlies hardly say anything. We'll probably substitute 8 players or something at half-time.
Dutch team is pretty complete though.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
The ball looks like a kid toy

Like one of these:
YET_bal_roodmetwittestippen-01.jpg

A

Anonymous

It was almost like they were pretending to play a game of football.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
People unlucky enough to love soccer in the US should be given free cable/direct w premium packages so they can see what it's supposed to look like. After one of our "major league" teams plays all the fans and players should be sent to prison. Soccer should be banned in the US period. Like our football,good teams should come here to play. We are even better at health care than we are at soccer.It took us over 200 years to start making good beer in the US, we still don't know how to make bread all over the country.If it took us that long with products we use everyday imagine what this soccer learning curve is going to look like. We should merge the WNBA and MLS to form a new league and put it on the sucks network.

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
fatandfast said:
People unlucky enough to love soccer in the US should be given free cable/direct w premium packages so they can see what it's supposed to look like. After one of our "major league" teams plays all the fans and players should be sent to prison. Soccer should be banned in the US period. Like our football,good teams should come here to play. We are even better at health care than we are at soccer.It took us over 200 years to start making good beer in the US, we still don't know how to make bread all over the country.If it took us that long with products we use everyday imagine what this soccer learning curve is going to look like. We should merge the WNBA and MLS to form a new league and put it on the sucks network.

Thank God I was born in a British colony. I even played soccer in college and I still can't stand American soccer.

theyoungest said:
England will win the World Cup, that is if John Terry doesn't screw any more of his team mates' wives. I have no expectations whatsoever for Holland. Maybe Van Persie rises from the dead to become player of the tournament.

:eek:

What on earth gives you that idea? England will be lucky to get by the quarters. They have a great manager, but they have a huge hole at goalkeeper, and their defense is enormously overrated. Rio Ferdinand hasn't played a good game since 2008 and they've got serious issues at fullback. Their midfield is good, if old, but Lampard and Gerrard have never really played well together, given that they both want to try to occupy the same area and role, and it always results in neither being good or effective. They do have quality striking, Rooney is of course a world class player and is in the form of his life, but while Crouch and Defoe are both good players, they can be very hit and miss in terms of performance.

They do have a pretty easy group, but (assuming they top their group) they'll be playing in the 2nd round against the #2 from the Ghana, Germany, Serbia, Australia group, which will not be an easy match (esp. if Ghana or Germany), and in the 1/4ers they'll probably face the French. I don't see them advancing past that point.

Brazil are the clear favorites IMO, and Spain are the #2. After that it gets very murky.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Moondance said:
:eek:

What on earth gives you that idea? England will be lucky to get by the quarters. They have a great manager, but they have a huge hole at goalkeeper, and their defense is enormously overrated. Rio Ferdinand hasn't played a good game since 2008 and they've got serious issues at fullback. Their midfield is good, if old, but Lampard and Gerrard have never really played well together, given that they both want to try to occupy the same area and role, and it always results in neither being good or effective. They do have quality striking, Rooney is of course a world class player and is in the form of his life, but while Crouch and Defoe are both good players, they can be very hit and miss in terms of performance.

They do have a pretty easy group, but (assuming they top their group) they'll be playing in the 2nd round against the #2 from the Ghana, Germany, Serbia, Australia group, which will not be an easy match (esp. if Ghana or Germany), and in the 1/4ers they'll probably face the French. I don't see them advancing past that point.

Brazil are the clear favorites IMO, and Spain are the #2. After that it gets very murky.

I agree with you (for the most part). England wont win, Rooney is by far there best player, but that wont be enough. Seriously Rio is an advantage to other teams.

However, spain gotta be the favorites, their team at the moment is just amazing. Brazil of course will will be up there, they always are, but spain are the team to beat.

Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
I agree with you (for the most part). England wont win, Rooney is by far there best player, but that wont be enough. Seriously Rio is an advantage to other teams.

However, spain gotta be the favorites, their team at the moment is just amazing. Brazil of course will will be up there, they always are, but spain are the team to beat.

YAWN.... Even if the Spanish had better players than the Brazillians (which they don't) you'd still have to ignore the fact that Brazil almost always play great at the WC and the Spanish usually choke, sometimes in a very bad way.

TRENDING THREADS