• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Former world champions in the Tour this year.

The post about national champion bands on jersey sleeves made me think of the rainbow bands that former world champions are allowed to wear and that in the past at least you saw them on a lot of riders who had won junior/U-23/MTB/track worlds etc. I'm not sure if the rules have changed or not but you don't see that as much anymore.

Edit: The rules have been changed and you are now only allowed to wear the bands during the type of event you won the world championship for.

I'm wonder how many riders in the current Tour peloton is a former world champion in any cycling event and would thus be allowed to wear a rainbow stripe on their sleeve if the old rules still applied.

Here is what I have come up with:

Thor Hushovd
Fabian Cancellara
Cadel Evans
Tom Boonen
Jakob Fuglsang
Stuart O'Grady
Mark Cavendish
Bradley Wiggins
Gertaint Thomas
Bert Grabsch
Peter Velits
Gerald Ciolek
Adriano Malori
Lars Boom
Mikhail Ignatiev
Janez Brajkovic
Roman Kreuziger
Tomas Vaitkus
Jürgen van den Broeck
Danny Pate
Yaroslav Popovych
Damiano Cunego
Ivan Basso
Vasil Kiryenka
Matthew Goss
Mark Renshaw
Jose Ivan Gutierrez

If anyone knows someone else who is a former world champion please let me know and I'll add them to the list. I'm not too familiar with junior and U-23 Track and MTB results so there might be some from those types of races.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
ingsve said:
Edit: The rules have been changed and you are now only allowed to wear the bands during the type of event you won the world championship for.

I think that's a shame.
You were a World champion cyclist at one point. You should always be aloud to wear those stripes on any bike.

TRENDING THREADS