• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Froome's Acceleration on the Bike ??

Originally Posted by horsinabout
I think that the acceleration (by eye) was enough for me believe that there is some bike technology involved, simply because I cannot come up with any other explanation. Doping alone would not and has never produced such an "unnatural" ride in it's appearance. I just find it hard to believe you haven't heard rumours.

From BERZIN - Administrator..
I stated this earlier, either here or on a different Clinic thread.

Froome, from the looks of it, probably had a motor in his bike, the same one Armstrong and Cancellara used at different points in their career.

During the initial acceleration on Mont Ventoux, it seemed as if Froome couldn't keep up with the cadence, then settled down and got in sync with it.

The change in cadence was just too ridiculous to have been caused by anything else. And in all my years of watching cycling races, I've never seen such a thing. Only then and only with Froome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eiN2vfGKhk

This clip is really good as it repeats his accelerations.

I,m certain RR answered Horsinabout's question about whether or not he had heard rumours about Froome using a motorised bike. RR's post then disappeared when I went back to re-read it.

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
In a word...

34416044.jpg

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
The acceleration does not look ridiculous to me, at all. Edit: ok from a performance point of view, it looks extraordinary, but not like he can't keep up, or whatever the theory is.

And his hands did not move from the tops when he accelerated for a number of seconds.

I don't see a mismatch between cadence and acceleration. With Cancellara it did look very odd. I don't know if in the case of Cancellara it can mean he has an electric engine in his bike. Seems very easy to discover as well as rationalize internally.

Dear Wiggo said:
The acceleration does not look ridiculous to me, at all. Edit: ok from a performance point of view, it looks extraordinary, but not like he can't keep up, or whatever the theory is.

And his hands did not move from the tops when he accelerated for a number of seconds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eiN2vfGKhk

at 7 seconds his right hand clearly moves to the top of the hood...and again at 2.06.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
why is armchairclimber's post being fully ignored?
In another thread he said the Guardian will soon be running a story on Froome's 'o-to' motor. Something about humiliating Murdoch, and leaked designs.
Was that a joke? didn't sound like it.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I think Ventoux attack looks ET only for guys who never rode a bike or use their bikes to go to McDonald's. It was an acceleration, great one, Ullrich like style, but if you look at the images you'll see a fat out-of-form Contador still 15 meters behind even after one minute.
For me this one is far more impressive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIRIAinJo0E

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
I had a discussion about engines in bikes with two cycling friends, both aircraft engineers, following the Beijing Olympics.

I was met with incredulity. Told that it would be impractical due to weight issues, more so for a three week stage race with mountains.

Well I think what you do is make it lighter (Formula 1 technology?). This may reduce the effectiveness of any electrically powered device, but sufficient to add enough of a kick to what we witness with Froome's attack You can also compensate more by making the rider as light and as powerful as possible, Froome enter stage left!

Then as it is impractical for the whole of a three week stage race, you use it at choice times, like on Vonteux, to accelerate away.

And in the videos you can see the technology is available. So should we put 2 and 2 together?

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Cycle Chic said:
I,m certain RR answered Horsinabout's question about whether or not he had heard rumours about Froome using a motorised bike. RR's post then disappeared when I went back to re-read it.

I have heard no rumors of Froome using a motorized bike, did not write a post about it so it nothing disappeared

TRENDING THREADS