Germany threaten jail for athletes under new doping law

May 26, 2010
28,144
1
0
The_Captain said:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/30007100

I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere, unless it's old news being rehashed by the BBC.

Jail time does seem to be a rather more effective deterrent than a 6 month holiday in the off season. I just wish that the UK would follow suit.
This law didn't stop their World Cup winning team doping............

Germans love to bash cycling while turning a blind eye to other sports
 
Oct 16, 2010
19,912
1
0
Benotti69 said:
This law didn't stop their World Cup winning team doping............

Germans love to bash cycling while turning a blind eye to other sports
I read about this and indeed it boggles the mind how nobody's thinking for a second about football and the implications this could have.
Imagine the whole friggin Bundesliga players being locked up in jail.
There's not a shred of doubt in my mind that 90% of the Bundesliga are juicing.
Regardless, it sounds like a plausible move that will no doubt scare off a few (outside of football), although the testing system will of course remain laughable as ever, and especially soccer will continue to enjoy a protected status.
 
Aug 10, 2010
6,286
0
0
Make the public--which doesn't generally care much about athletic competition--pay the cost of doping enforcement.
 
Can anyone educated in law explain to me how doping, and winning isn't not prosecuted under obtaining property by deception at the very least, or fraud ?

It seems to me that those offenses cover it very nicely, so a new law isn't necessarily needed.
 
Jul 11, 2013
3,375
0
0
MarkvW said:
Make the public--which doesn't generally care much about athletic competition--pay the cost of doping enforcement.
Is the public not already paying for it as it is?
Just through several channels (indirectly)?

I'am assuming the suggestion is to make it more visible?
(cut the channels down)

What would a template for this look like?
 
Catwhoorg said:
Can anyone educated in law explain to me how doping, and winning isn't not prosecuted under obtaining property by deception at the very least, or fraud ?

It seems to me that those offenses cover it very nicely, so a new law isn't necessarily needed.
Legal tradition? Politically unpopular?

Unfortunately, the trafficking of the drugs is likely not sanctioned very heavily. The new law is crossing an important line though. The politicians at least see the need to enable law enforcement to act on doping positives. I wonder how hard IOC sports and football fought to prevent the law from passing.
 
Jun 21, 2014
19
0
0
Benotti69 said:
This law didn't stop their World Cup winning team doping............

Germans love to bash cycling while turning a blind eye to other sports
So how would a law introduced after the World Cup stop the German team from winning?
How does the law "bash cycling while turning a blind eye to other sports" ?

Guess you're just trying to get your postcount to 13k. :rolleyes:
 
May 24, 2011
41
0
0
Yeah, a year in chokey alongside murderers, rapists and investment fund managers, no young talent silly enough to dope deserves that (or anybody else who knows anything about it as this law implies), and it's not really what millions of people pay their taxes for.
This is the kind of rubbish uptight German lawmakers come up with while the UCI refuses to grow some balls and deal with doping as it should.
 
Jun 30, 2014
7,060
0
0
DirtyWorks said:
Legal tradition? Politically unpopular?

Unfortunately, the trafficking of the drugs is likely not sanctioned very heavily. The new law is crossing an important line though. The politicians at least see the need to enable law enforcement to act on doping positives. I wonder how hard IOC sports and football fought to prevent the law from passing.
A year ago the president of the German Olympic Sports Confederation said in an interview that there was no need to introduce such an anti doping law...
 
Oct 16, 2010
19,912
1
0
the law seems to be all about 'being seen to do the right thing', a couple of months after the same government obstructed the publication of a research report outlining widespread doping practices in German sports (including soccer) from the 60s to present.
 
The Tibetan Hat said:
Yeah, a year in chokey alongside murderers, rapists and investment fund managers, no young talent silly enough to dope deserves that (or anybody else who knows anything about it as this law implies), and it's not really what millions of people pay their taxes for.
This is the kind of rubbish uptight German lawmakers come up with while the UCI refuses to grow some balls and deal with doping as it should.
100% agreed. Good post.
 
Oct 16, 2010
19,912
1
0
The Tibetan Hat said:
Yeah, a year in chokey alongside murderers, rapists and investment fund managers, no young talent silly enough to dope deserves that (or anybody else who knows anything about it as this law implies), and it's not really what millions of people pay their taxes for.
This is the kind of rubbish uptight German lawmakers come up with while the UCI refuses to grow some balls and deal with doping as it should.
LaFlorecita said:
100% agreed. Good post.
what does the UCI have to do with this?
 
sniper said:
the law seems to be all about 'being seen to do the right thing', a couple of months after the same government obstructed the publication of a research report outlining widespread doping practices in German sports (including soccer) from the 60s to present.
Really? That's really ****ed up, even for the normal standard doping corruption

German propaganda has begun again:eek:
 
Oct 16, 2010
19,912
1
0
Red Rick said:
Really? That's really ****ed up, even for the normal standard doping corruption

German propaganda has begun again:eek:
it roughly went down like this:
the government first ordered research to be done, but then when first results started coming in they decided to obstruct the continuation of the research and the publication of the results.
i will post a link later.
 
Mar 10, 2009
1,296
0
0
The Tibetan Hat said:
Yeah, a year in chokey alongside murderers, rapists and investment fund managers, no young talent silly enough to dope deserves that (or anybody else who knows anything about it as this law implies), and it's not really what millions of people pay their taxes for.
This is the kind of rubbish uptight German lawmakers come up with while the UCI refuses to grow some balls and deal with doping as it should.
Always the UCI? What would you call balls? Something illegal? Cycling is still leading the anti doping processes. So as Balless as you think, it is still doing more than any other sport.
Or just let this clinic run anti doping? I am sure that after just a few weeks you guys would make such a mess of it that doping would just have to be made legal because no one is left to ride a bike if the standards of this group led the way.
It is hardly a question of balls but process and technology. Maybe if all sports pooled their efforts like cycling has done we might get the magic test(s) The trouble isn't UCI balls but the general lack of anti doping support outside of cycling. Clean up football, tennis, American pro sport and cycling will have very big ones.
 
Master50 said:
Cycling is still leading the anti doping processes..
Leading how? Leading suppressing doping sanctions?

Buried in this story is what's really going on:
Along with the usual presentations by Organising Committees and Commissions, one word raised time and time again during the Assembly was "autonomy". Something also repeatedly highlighted by Bach, making sure all NOCs are free from Government interference is a key focus for both the IOC and ANOC, with the recent UN Directive on the autonomy of sport hailed as a key breakthrough.

http://www.insidethegames.biz/blogs/1023726-nick-butler-anoc-is-becoming-increasingly-significant-under-sheikh-ahmad

That's not the actions or words of an organization protecting the integrity of sport. That's an organization ensuring the freedom to dope without consequences.
 
Dec 7, 2010
5,507
0
0
The Tibetan Hat said:
Yeah, a year in chokey alongside murderers, rapists and investment fund managers, no young talent silly enough to dope deserves that (or anybody else who knows anything about it as this law implies), and it's not really what millions of people pay their taxes for.
Well, I've great news for all those unfortunate souls who may fear ending up in such horrid circumstances.

There's a way to avoid it entirely. :)
 
Jul 15, 2013
550
0
0
The Tibetan Hat said:
Yeah, a year in chokey alongside murderers, rapists and investment fund managers, no young talent silly enough to dope deserves that (or anybody else who knows anything about it as this law implies), and it's not really what millions of people pay their taxes for.
This is the kind of rubbish uptight German lawmakers come up with while the UCI refuses to grow some balls and deal with doping as it should.
generally rapists and murderers are kept apart. As are non-violent criminals like a doper. More chance of an open prison being locked up with fund managers and white-collar criminals. The law is intended to stop doping in the first place primarily, not to punish after the fact. Don't have an issue with it, seems to have a positive effect (for want of a better term) in France
 
HIF I A said:
So how would a law introduced after the World Cup stop the German team from winning?
How does the law "bash cycling while turning a blind eye to other sports" ?

Guess you're just trying to get your postcount to 13k. :rolleyes:
Any basic doping law should have stopped the Germans from winning the world cup if the were remotely serious about anti doping.
 
Mar 10, 2009
1,296
0
0
DirtyWorks said:
Leading how? Leading suppressing doping sanctions?

Buried in this story is what's really going on:
Along with the usual presentations by Organising Committees and Commissions, one word raised time and time again during the Assembly was "autonomy". Something also repeatedly highlighted by Bach, making sure all NOCs are free from Government interference is a key focus for both the IOC and ANOC, with the recent UN Directive on the autonomy of sport hailed as a key breakthrough.

http://www.insidethegames.biz/blogs/1023726-nick-butler-anoc-is-becoming-increasingly-significant-under-sheikh-ahmad

That's not the actions or words of an organization protecting the integrity of sport. That's an organization ensuring the freedom to dope without consequences.
Maybe by doing anything they are doing more than most. In the land of the cynics I don't expect much evangelical rah rahs but cycling is not the worst and a lot closer to the leader since they are so heavily pushed by constant scandals. Now if you guys would just move on to another sport maybe they might get some of the heat. Who is dirty in Football? Merican or Euro.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY