• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giant Frame Comparison

Feb 2, 2010
Visit site
Hi

Does anyone know how these frames compare, is the first one a good buy

Giant TCR Advanced Frame '10 & (1500 euros)

Giant TCR Advanced SL Frame '10 (2500 euros)

The difference in price is 1000 euros.

I hope to be buying a new bike soon and will probaly go for
Giant TCR Advanced Frame '10 built with chorus, as I had a giant tcr back in 05 and was very happy with it.

TIA.

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
The TCR Advanced Sl is made from the a bit better carbon (T800). Which makes the frame slightly lighter. Also comes in two models, with an integrated seatpost or with an adjustable post. Whichever model you buy rest assured you'll end up with an amazing bike. To be honest I don't think you can notice difference bitween the Advanced Sl or Advanced. I have tried them all and I can say they are fantastic bikes.

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
I have a 2010 Advanced SL (ISP). It is a very responsive and fast bike. It's very different than my Ridley and my old (2005) TCR C3. The ISP does make a difference in ride quality. It makes the ride much more comfortable, however if your not racing every weekend the Advanced frame will be more than fine.

roady92 said:
Hi

Does anyone know how these frames compare, is the first one a good buy

Giant TCR Advanced Frame '10 & (1500 euros)

Giant TCR Advanced SL Frame '10 (2500 euros)

The difference in price is 1000 euros.

I hope to be buying a new bike soon and will probaly go for
Giant TCR Advanced Frame '10 built with chorus, as I had a giant tcr back in 05 and was very happy with it.

TIA.

Yeegads, for that kinda dough I'd look at Colnago, DeRosa, Merckx......

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Bustedknuckle said:
Yeegads, for that kinda dough I'd look at Colnago, DeRosa, Merckx......

Oh no bike snobbery rears it's ugly head again.

Every review of Giant TCR advanced bikes that I have seen has been extremely positive with some reviewers stating that they rate them amongst the best bikes they have ridden.

Economies of scale enable Giant to produce a high tech frame at a much cheaper price than most others.

Kevin Rudd's Hairdryer said:
Oh no bike snobbery rears it's ugly head again.

Every review of Giant TCR advanced bikes that I have seen has been extremely positive with some reviewers stating that they rate them amongst the best bikes they have ridden.

Economies of scale enable Giant to produce a high tech frame at a much cheaper price than most others.

'Best bikes ridden'? Best orange tasted. prettiest dress, best golf clubs, most lively tennis racquet. Subjective. Does it fit? Does it last? More important questions.

2500 euros($3400) and 1500 euros($2000) aren't 'cheap' frames. For that dough, he should look at other frames besides one manufacturer. Farther than a mass produced frame like trekspeciailzedgiant..I'd rather have something with a bit more panache.

all right men touch gloves and come out fighting. this is kind of like the other
thread about inexpensive wheels. i agree, some hand built wheels are a joy to ride. they are not so inexpensive though. durability for me has never been hand built versus factory built. as far as trek and giant go. super nice bikes. i don't own one, but have buddy's that love them. and one guy is a world hour record
holder in his masters category and former olympian, so i figure he can tell
sh-it from shinola.

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Wheels, WTF!!!

Weren't we discussing how to blow heaps of cash on an over priced Italian bike with extra panache? (Which was prolly made by Giantspecializedtrek anyway...)

Right, I'm off to the store to get me some of that panache.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Minimal Difference

The primary difference between the two frames is the method of construction for the seat stay/seat tube/top tube junction. The TCR advanced uses a conventional lug/tube arrangement whereas the TCR Advanced SL uses a proprietary process Giant calls Fusion to join the tubes through a separate molding process. The result is a frame that is between a 100 or so grams lighter for the Advanced SL.

Other than that, both bikes use very similar geometry, a tapered steer and a press-fit bb. According to Giant, the integrated seat mast iteration of the SL allows for a more compliant ride compared to the full aero seat tube/post setup. Whatever their differences, the bikes are more similar to each other than they are to previous versions of the TCR advanced. After riding both I could tell little substantial difference in ride quality. If you experience the same, save yourself the cash and go with the Advanced.

TRENDING THREADS