• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro 2013 Stage 11: Tarvisio (Cave del Predil) - Vajont 1963/2013 (Erto e Casso)

tappa_dettagli_tecnici_planimetria_11.jpg

tappa_dettagli_tecnici_altimetria_11.jpg

ukm_11.jpg

The steepest section is of 9% ..200 M downhill to the finish

Will the breakaway survive or the GC guys will want the bonus seconds? The weather is expected to be good.

The GC :-

1 NIBALI Vincenzo Astana Pro Team 38:57:32
2 EVANS Cadel BMC Racing Team 0:41
3 URAN Rigoberto Sky Procycling 2:04
4 WIGGINS Bradley Sky Procycling 2:05
5 GESINK Robert Blanco Pro Cycling Team 2:12
6 SCARPONI Michele Lampre - Merida 2:13
7 SANTAMBROGIO Mauro Vini Fantini 2:55
8 NIEMIEC Przemyslaw Lampre - Merida 3:35
9 POZZOVIVO Domenico AG2R La Mondiale 4:17
10 MAJKA Rafal Team Saxo-Tinkoff 4:21

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Seems perfect for Evans to grab some boni seconds but he doesn't have a team to pull back a breakaway.

Maybe di luca in a break? Don't think he can do it against the GC guys.

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Astana will let the break disappear as far as possible
I expect a highlighter or an android to win. Maybe even a Lampre rider now their GC hopes seem to be gone.

Dazed and Confused said:
Big break going.

Stage 12 is soft (bunch sprint likely), no reason to hold anything back on stage 11.

Mestre FTW.

Mestre isn't in great shape according to himself. Got sick right before the giro so rode hard on the first week to see if he could get his shape back.

I also think this is going for the break, astana will take it very easy on the first climb so they have as many riders as Nibali for the last climb. Since it is a short climb Nibali will only be alone with 3k to go as worst casa scenario imo.

Parrulo said:
Mestre isn't in great shape according to himself. Got sick right before the giro so rode hard on the first week to see if he could get his shape back.

I also think this is going for the break, astana will take it very easy on the first climb so they have as many riders as Nibali for the last climb. Since it is a short climb Nibali will only be alone with 3k to go as worst casa scenario imo.
Glad to hear. I was afraid that the current portuguese scene level was so low that Mestre, a former winner of the Volta, wasn't good enough to even be a decent climber in the breaks of a GT.
Mestre for the win :D

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
If teams decide to chase then Betancur to break away for the win. Otherwise Astana to take it easy and let the break take it. Hopefully a highlighter or Colombian to grab the win.

Not so many teams with GC goals left - means a lot of riders looking for stage glory :

GARMIN! Hesjedal/Danielson/Stetina all potential attackers. Haas doesn't appear to have form.

Andronis : I expect especially Diego Rosa or Emanuele Sella to have a go.

Pirazzi will be in move, but probably burns his matches to take full points on Sella Campiogotto...

Cannondale should try to be present in break too, but is it in their climber's DNA? I'm pessimistic...

Colombia will be present (won't miss two days in a row), but with a 2nd-tier rider who won't contest the victory.

Samu-card has been exhausted - time for Egoi to go for a mountain break :) Possibly Verdugo or Vrecer instead/also. Egoi is actually a good candidate for win and was strong today.

FdJ has no one to protect, but no one to win this kind of stage either. Dismissed.

Trofimov was a real shocker today to finish with Scarponi. Maybe too good for team's chances tomorrow as he will not be let go. Ignatenko or Brutt to join a break - Brutt can't last it, Ignatenko a really longshot.

Stortoni has been strong. If he is given freedom tomorrow, he can be an upset bid. Niemiec will support Scarponi and Scarponi be on defence.

Hansen for 2nd stage win??? If the big climb is not rode too hard, he may actually like ascent to Vajont...

one or two of Pauwels/Golas/Brambilla will also be present - present, but no more. RetirementShack ditto (not Kierlovski - he ain't let any rein)

May be a stage Weening has looked for since tanking on Stage 9. One of big favorites.

Rafa Valls for Vacansoleil and di Luca/Rabottini/Taborre for Vini Fantinis fill up my quota of successful breakaway candidates.

However, IF a breakaway has not gone TOO far away by the top of Sella Campiogotto, I hope Samu to make a sneak attack out of peloton, daredevil descend one more time and grab the stage. He is no longer GC contender so that is plausible.

CAN NOT SEE peloton driven hard on Sella Campiogotto - no way! Breakaway should have enough margin to finish it off in Vajont! Especially as most of GC hopefuls will not be positive about grabbing bonus seconds away from Nibbles/Cuddles if the favourites duke it out for stage honors...

My money would go for Egoi/Samu/Weening/Stortoni/Ignatenko. 5-way split.

seldon71 said:
Rafa Valls for Vacansoleil and di Luca/Rabottini/Taborre for Vini Fantinis fill up my quota of successful breakaway candidates.
[/B]

Taborre is out of this race if I remember correctly. I think that Di Luca wil have to look after Santambrogio, but Rabottini's certainly a possibility.

TRENDING THREADS