• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro 2014 Route Rumours

Like every year, here's the thread where I (and hopefully many others) will collect all the rumours about the next Giro route.

The presentation will be in October so it's still a lot early, but I have already a few rumours.

***EDITED***
Possible route (officially confirmed stages are bolded):

1. Belfast - Belfast 22 km [TTT]
2. Belfast - Belfast 218 km [flat]
3. Armagh - Dublin 187 km [flat]

Rest

4. Giovinazzo - Bari (or Bari - Taranto) [flat]
5. Taranto - Viggiano [uphill]
6. Sassano - Montecassino (or Salerno - Frosinone) [uphill (or flat/hilly)]
7. Frosinone - Foligno [hilly/flat]
8. Foligno - Montecopiolo (Eremo Del Carpegna) [MTF]
9. Lugo - Sestola (Passo Del Lupo) [MTF]

Rest

10. Modena - Salsomaggiore [flat]
11. Collecchio - Savona [flat/hilly]
12. Barbaresco - Barolo 46 km [ITT]
13. Fossano - Rivarolo [flat]
14. Aglié - Oropa [MTF]
15. Valdengo - Montecampione [MTF]

Rest

16. Ponte Di Legno - Val Martello [MTF]
17. Sarnonico - Vittorio Veneto [flat/hilly]
18. Belluno - Rifugio Panarotta [MTF]
19. Bassano - Monte Grappa [MTT]
20. Maniago - Zoncolan 167 km [MTF]
21. Gemona - Trieste 169 km [flat]

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't like a double Zoncolan. Manghen-Pampeago-Pampeago stage is still in dark corner of my mind. And if we don't have a strong team initiative, whilst they climb Zonc for the 1st time the tempo will be so slow that it can turn out to be another shameful day. I'm absolutely sure the peloton can tuck up a very sparing rhythm on Zonc (~10-11 km/h) to come over the top without excessive losses among helpers.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
I just hope they take some kind of precautions with the route just in case we get adverse weather again. Would be horrible to see the mountain stages ruined again. Maybe have some backup stages ready just in case or something.

Anyways, of the rumors so far, I like the sound of a couple stages celebrating Pantani and Zoncolan sounds good.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Afrank said:
I just hope they take some kind of precautions with the route just in case we get adverse weather again. Would be horrible to see the mountain stages ruined again. Maybe have some backup stages ready just in case or something.

Anyways, of the rumors so far, I like the sound of a couple stages celebrating Pantani and Zoncolan sounds good.

It's better to develop an alternative block of Appenines mountain stages just in case of bad weather in Dolomites.

Arent they going to do the 2 stages we didn't get this year? Odds of a second winter like this are low.

Crostis, no don't asphalt it:p

2 Zoncolans in 1 stage? OMG that is gonna be insane. Even if the first pass was 100km before the first it would still kill everyone.

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
No Zoncolan please, it's getting boring. I prefer some underused climbs like Passo Nigra, Passo delle Erbe, Passo del Vivione, Passo di Croce Dominii or Passo Coe.

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Arent they going to do the 2 stages we didn't get this year? Odds of a second winter like this are low.

Crostis, no don't asphalt it:p

2 Zoncolans in 1 stage? OMG that is gonna be insane. Even if the first pass was 100km before the first it would still kill everyone.

I fear it would kill the motos as well :D

If they're going to persist with the French stages then please, in the name of all that is holy do two things for me. 1) stay the hell away from Alpe d'Huez; 2) either precede or succeed this stage with a proper Valle d'Aosta mountain stage. Maybe with a finish at La Thuile or Courmayeur after Colle San Carlo, or an MTF at Pila-Ciel-Blu, preferably with Sant-Pantaléon and definitely, definitely Tze Core. This could also precede or succeed the Oropa stage, obviously.

On similarly named underused climbs, The Cà San Marco into a Morbegno descent finish please. Maybe we can get Castrin for real next year (I'd love to see it used), maybe between Mendola and Monte Giovo. Passo Pennes needs a reuse, and the biathlon fan in me still desperately wants the Passo Stalle. And if we have to do the Zoncolan, then approaching it from the East and doing the Austrian side of Naßfeldpass/Pramollo, Cason di Lanza and Sella Ligosullo would be a brutal stage, but the drawback is that it would take us to Sutrio rather than Ovaro.

You'd also expect a fairly low Cima Coppi next year, after this year's issues, so the likes of the Agnello might have to wait.

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
On similarly named underused climbs, The Cà San Marco into a Morbegno descent finish please. Maybe we can get Castrin for real next year (I'd love to see it used), maybe between Mendola and Monte Giovo. Passo Pennes needs a reuse, and the biathlon fan in me still desperately wants the Passo Stalle. And if we have to do the Zoncolan, then approaching it from the East and doing the Austrian side of Naßfeldpass/Pramollo, Cason di Lanza and Sella Ligosullo would be a brutal stage, but the drawback is that it would take us to Sutrio rather than Ovaro.

Please go for it in the race design thread. :D

Lupetto said:
Please go for it in the race design thread. :D

I haven't actually done a Giro yet. I do have most of one (and it might be appropriate here as the Cima Coppi as of yet is fairly low), but the problem with Italy is there are just TOO MANY options!

I am about to start posting a Vuelta which is a compromise peace offering from me to Javier Guillén, trying to find a route which will keep both of us happy. Maybe when I've finished posting that up I'll finally have a Giro there to post.