• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro 2018 stage 18: Abbiategrasso – Prato Nevoso 196 km

Eshnar said:
STAGE 18: Abbiategrasso – Prato Nevoso 196 km

May 24th

G18_T18_Pratonevoso_alt_jpg.jpg

OuakBGK.jpg

Technical Overview:
The final mountain block opens with quite a disappointing stage, although probably it's justifiable due to what's coming next. The first 160 km of this stage have very little to offer: only the climb of Novello (GPM4, 5.4 km at 4.6%) stands out. After this long stroll in the Po Valley, however, the road will begin to head uphill into the Alps. The mountain top finish of Prato Nevoso (GPM1, 13.9 km at 6.9%) it's quite a good climb, consistently tough and regular, without particularly steep ramps.

Final km
wtpHRP1.jpg

The Climbs:
Novello (GPM4, 5.4 km at 4.6%)
No profile. Just your typical GPM4.

Prato Nevoso (GPM1, 13.9 km at 6.9%)
Very consistent, tough but without going crazy. Last time a GT finished here, it was actually the Tour, in 2008. For some reason the profile is not on the website. I had to take it from the Garibaldi, which has an abysmal resolution.
ABrC82f.png

What to Expect:
Well, this is a one-climb MTF, so just expect the favourites to attack within 5 km to go. If we are lucky, that is.

seLsEBx.jpg

Prato Nevoso

Re: Giro 2018 stage18: Abbiategrasso – Prato Nevoso 196 km

I can only foresee 3 possible winners:

The Magic Kenyan
Marvel SimonY
CancellARU

I'd add Superman Lopez, but the 3 above seem to be flying, so is hard to place him among them in an equal fashion so....

Breakaway. Froome has his Zoncolan win, Yates is in pink, everyone else seems to be to afraid of Yates to bring back the break.

The steep pitches come too early in the climb for a proper skirmish, and it would take gigantic stones for a GC guy to blow things up tommorow with friday and saturday as they are.

Re:

Escarabajo said:
An unipuerto stage!
It would have been nice to place a couple of cat 2 climbs just to make it interesting.
That wouldn't really help, would it? Its coming down to the last 5-6 km of this climb anyways. The Zoncolan stage had lots of small, steep climbs beforehand and was actually quite a hard stage. Unless its at the start of the stage obviously, then its changing the dynamics of the race.

Re: Giro 2018 stage18: Abbiategrasso – Prato Nevoso 196 km

Well, these kind of stages have been quite interesting in the past and often more exciting than mtf's after tough mountain stages. However in this case I fear simply nobody will be willing to make the climb hard. Maybe Dumoulin will try to create an Oropa like scenario, maybe Froome has his Zoncolan legs back or maybe someone else will surprise me. But I think the most likely scenario is no serious attacks before the last two or three kilometers

TRENDING THREADS