• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d Italia 2014 fantasy game

May 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I have made a team at http://win14me.com/en/ in there Giro game. Does anybody wanna make a private league?

My team is

Captain: Cadel Evans (looks really strong)
Sprinter: Marcel Kittel
lieutenants: Ulissi and Rabotttini
Climbers: Stefano Pirazzi and Kiserlovski
Support Riders: Chris Anker Sørensen, Tom Veelers and Enrico Battaglin

My coach is Garmin - Sharp.

Could be fun to hear other teams

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Sounds good to me. For now I've got:

JRod
Kittel
Aru, Niemiec
Cunego, Pirazzi
Dehaes, G Caruso, Slagter
Astana

However, I will change this when I have more time. Anything with transfers requires looking at stages in detail. For instance, I think Astana will do well in the Team classification but not in the early stages.

I agree Evans is looking good but like many others I question him still being strong in the third week. I may well switch to him before the start for early stages but swap halfway through.

May 29, 2013
Visit site
Can Evans Win

can Evans really win this and will he loose the jersey because of his team isnt that strong?

I was lucky to have evans as my captain so i am earning pretty good on him, but 8. stage was suited for him and he wasent looking that strong.

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
Just joined. Was initially with another group of mates but they lost interest so joined this group. Ruvu75 is the man to beat, by the look of it. Making up 566.00 will be very difficult but I will try. I find this game pretty refreshing because you can do more than just sit and watch. Good luck everyone.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
That hurt a little, trades didn't go through yesterday, I think i navigated away before confirming. I wouldn't have gained places, but i would have held. Kind of cool game, but now having played the strategy becomes kind of obvious, but there is still some struggle timing your choices.

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
karlboss said:
That hurt a little, trades didn't go through yesterday, I think i navigated away before confirming. I wouldn't have gained places, but i would have held. Kind of cool game, but now having played the strategy becomes kind of obvious, but there is still some struggle timing your choices.

Yeah, same happened to me a few days ago. You get no warning - you just get cut off after a while or when the deadline has passed.

As longer the game goes on as harder it is to make up ground as most teams have the same riders. However, the stage points are much higher than the GC points and if you swap and gamble for stage wins you can come back with a some luck. I guess that's the tactics you use when you have nothing to loose.
There are a few other factors that can make a difference - team wins are very hard to predict and can make a difference. And there are the support riders to play with and make a difference.
And your transfer strategy - lots of transfers to gain points with changes in GC, or stay with a team and safe transfer costs. It is also interesting that the transfer costs rice as the game goes on as riders get more and more value. So lots of factors to play with which makes it an intriguing game in my opinion.

PS: I am team CrossEyed, by the way - not trading under my usual user name "mutschi".

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
Can't believe how long Morabito is hanging on in top 10. Nice little earner for me and earned me the extra few bucks to win a few stages in the game.

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
Arrrg, missed deadline again :mad:
Since when is Arrendondo available as a rider? I looked him up at least 4 times in the past and he was never there. And suddenly all the teams have him. Did they add him later? Or was I just blind. I think by missing the deadline a 2nd time I just lost the game - no Mezgec, no Arredondo. Will cost me dearly.

mutschi said:
Arrrg, missed deadline again :mad:
Since when is Arrendondo available as a rider? I looked him up at least 4 times in the past and he was never there. And suddenly all the teams have him. Did they add him later? Or was I just blind. I think by missing the deadline a 2nd time I just lost the game - no Mezgec, no Arredondo. Will cost me dearly.

He's in there all the time, but he was named Julian Moreno in the beginning.
Seems like they've added Arredondo now. But he was available from the start.
First I searched for 'Arredondo' and found nothing.
Then I looked at the Trek selection in the riderslist and there he was :)

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
Ruvu75 said:
He's in there all the time, but he was named Julian Moreno in the beginning.
Seems like they've added Arredondo now. But he was available from the start.
First I searched for 'Arredondo' and found nothing.
Then I looked at the Trek selection in the riderslist and there he was :)

I saw Julian Moreno but didn't connect the dots. Well, lost 100.000 there but was lucky Mezgec didn't score so it could have been worth. No idea how to gain 600.000 though. The top teams are almost identical now. I think we are playing for 2nd now. Like the GC riders in the Giro towards the end I have to decide if I play to defend my podium or take huge risks in order to win.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
So I imagine I and many others have almost exactly the same team now, and will only make minor changes until the Mountains, and then the winner of the game will be whoever guesses right on when Jersey's change hands which will likely be accompanied by stage wins.
Are the rules for the points jersey the same as previous years ie not favouring sprinters?

May 29, 2013
Visit site
Damm that Evans is gold. Luckily i had him trough the hole game. I am as surprised as you that morabito is still on top10. but i think he is gonna be sacrificed to much later on to hold on. maybe top20 if he is in really good shape.

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
karlboss said:
So I imagine I and many others have almost exactly the same team now, and will only make minor changes until the Mountains, and then the winner of the game will be whoever guesses right on when Jersey's change hands which will likely be accompanied by stage wins.
Are the rules for the points jersey the same as previous years ie not favouring sprinters?

No, the rules have changed in favor of the sprinters.
Maybe I was wrong in calling it hard to win. Just pulled back almost 100.000 despite loosing Ulissi from top 10 and making a mistake (I swapped Brambilla for Mezgec on a stage like this - how stupid can I be?). So I am not giving up on winning yet. Still a lot of stages to come. Riders have a bad day - see Ulissi. The Game is on. Ruvu has to make all the right moves to keep the lead.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
mutschi said:
No, the rules have changed in favor of the sprinters.
Maybe I was wrong in calling it hard to win. Just pulled back almost 100.000 despite loosing Ulissi from top 10 and making a mistake (I swapped Brambilla for Mezgec on a stage like this - how stupid can I be?). So I am not giving up on winning yet. Still a lot of stages to come. Riders have a bad day - see Ulissi. The Game is on. Ruvu has to make all the right moves to keep the lead.

Picking the day evans crumbles may be crucial.