• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2015 Stage 20: Saint-Vincent – Sestriere 199km

Page 38 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 18, 2015
Visit site
Re: Giro d'Italia 2015 Stage 20: Saint-Vincent – Sestriere 1

damian13ster said:
With that logic, Wiggins 2012 was a fail. Makes sense. In fact, that was even worse because Wiggins TT was incredible and Froome waggling his finger at Wiggins on every climb.

Yeah, I was always arguing that Wiggins is very worthy of the GT win, but other people jumped on me.
Wiggins is great on cobbles, insane on track, best in the world in GT and was climbing very well. I think people like that are the most worthy GT winners.

And now Contador won by climbing very well but being far from the best. TTing well but not even winning that, and because best climber in the race wasn't allowed to go and expose him until stage 20.

Cance: Landa was held back entire race. I know he didn't have a chance to close the gap on a single stage but if he was allowed to do that 2-3 times this Giro....

But you know what, it doesn't matter. All that will be remembered is who won. You can over analyze every race and find something to fit a narrative, but in the end Contador will be in the Pink, and go down as the overall winner.

Re:

jilbiker said:
Bertie I am very sure was dealing with allergies from the dust. I know Bertie has issues with dust and pollen. The dirt road was the issue. We will hear from Bertie but unless he wants to hide it from his rivals, that will will the reason given. I am glad he was able to limit the damage. This was not a cracking , it was allergies and reaction to excessive dust, not the first time I have seen this happen to Bertie.

Indeeed.

I just wonder how he didn't drop blind dead from so much dust.

Re:

The_Cheech said:
What I really do not understand is certain people´s stubborn tendency to make Landa more than he is.

Who in their right mind would think that an Italian manager, in an Italian race, with a proven talent like Aru, would allow someone like Landa to ride outside of the team´s goals.

WHY, for the life of me, WHY are we even talking about it?

What Landa has to do now is sign with another team that will let him ride as the leader and then take it from there.
And learn how to TT....

Re: Re:

BigMac said:
jilbiker said:
Bertie I am very sure was dealing with allergies from the dust. I know Bertie has issues with dust and pollen. The dirt road was the issue. We will hear from Bertie but unless he wants to hide it from his rivals, that will will the reason given. I am glad he was able to limit the damage. This was not a cracking , it was allergies and reaction to excessive dust, not the first time I have seen this happen to Bertie.

Indeeed.

I just wonder how he didn't drop blind dead from so much dust.

Arf! :D

irondan said:
huge said:
Total fail for Astana today. Definitely. Aru above all. What a disappointment.
Great ride from Berto, as usual. He just didn't care. Thinking already of TdF. Clearly the strongest.
Yep, what a dissappointment. Went up against the best stage racer of his generation and took 2nd overall with 2 mountain stages. lol.

Aru was never going to be a close challenger to Contador in the first place

ggusta said:
Moose McKnuckles said:
jilbiker said:

LMAO

I was thinking tainted granite dust on the unpaved portion of the road.

Boonen stopped and snorted a line.

May 20, 2014
Visit site
Reading all this criticism about Astana team tactics, but I'm not really sure how they could have played it much better to put enough time on Alberto. They needed Kangert to bridge on the decent so that he could pace on that false flat, he tryed but couldn't do it, and dropped back to Contador. So Landa dropped back instead for pacing. But neither Aru nor Landa is great TT'ist and nobody else was working with them, so they couldn't get much time on Alberto. So what else should or could they have done there to put 5 minutes on Contador?

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site

No_Balls said:
IamIronMan said:
whittashau said:
I'm shocked at the stupidity of people in this thread. Why would Astana ride for Landa if he is leaving?
Right, why let the guy who is CURRENTLY on your team try to win the Giro, or at least another stage and the blue jersey. I'm shocked at the stupidity of people in this thread.

Nothing beats self-proclaimed intelligent voices of reason write something that absurd you have to read twice to believe.

Why is what I wrote absurd? Clearly they're trying to build their team around Aru. Surely it's in their best interest to back him over some guy who is about leaving the team. Also, maybe winning the Giro with a Spanish rider that is leaving the team maybe isn't a big deal for them?

Is there logic in them putting all their resources into Landa? Sure there is, but for people to cry foul over Astana backing Aru is stupid too.

There's always a chance that this might be Landa's biggest and only opportunity to be close to winning a grand tour, I hope there'll be more, I like him, but no guarantee he can find such form outside Astana.
And btw, Aru always strike me as childish and naïve. He's hard to like, but not bad enough to dislike.

TRENDING THREADS