• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Giro d'Italia 2021 stage 11: Perugia – Montalcino 162 km

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

???

• Poll?

Votes: 11 12.6%
  • No

Votes: 12 13.8%
  • Yes

Votes: 10 11.5%
  • Maybe

Votes: 12 13.8%
  • Bag?

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • Rain?

Votes: 14 16.1%
  • Button?

Votes: 8 9.2%
  • Ban poll

Votes: 14 16.1%
  • Delete OP

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • Vin(cenz)o

Votes: 24 27.6%

• Total voters
My predictions are mostly the exact opposite of what will happen so i'm telling that nothing will happen besides maybe Carthy/Yates/Martin being in trouble/shipping a significant amount of time. I feel like the results of Strade Bianche are a bit overrated. otherwise Bardet would have a similar if not better chance of destroying everybody plus Bernal because he was 2nd in 2018 Strade.

Reactions: Sandisfan
It would make little sense for Bettiol to do something that could put Carthy in difficulty or help others gain time on him.

Yes, that's what I thought, too. If someone like Bernal goes and Carthy can't follow anyway, fine, then Bettiol could follow. But he surely won't be allowed to attack and drag other GC contenders with him when Carthy can't follow him. And if they go and Carthy can't follow immediately it's probably Bettiol's task to keep him as close as possible. So unless Carthy cracks or crashes early... I don't see it.

• Wow
Last time the Giro hit those roads:

View: https://youtu.be/BCg3pywV1D8
I recall. Basso (won that Giro) and Nibali (3rd) both lost over 2 minutes to Evans (5th) in that stage.

Love the fact that there's way more sterrato this time (according to the profiles on PCS)

My predictions are mostly the exact opposite of what will happen so i'm telling that nothing will happen besides maybe Carthy/Yates/Martin being in trouble/shipping a significant amount of time. I feel like the results of Strade Bianche are a bit overrated. otherwise Bardet would have a similar if not better chance of destroying everybody plus Bernal because he was 2nd in 2018 Strade.

Bardet is technically very good and for me his SB result was no fluke. In 2018 S-B weather I definitely would have expected him to be one of the best on the stage outright.

• Wow
I'm so f*cking hyped, but I hate how realistic it feels that nothing happens whatsoever. I have just no idea whether this will be an absolute bloodbath, or if all gc contenders will just rather wait for the mountains. In any case, no rain is bad news.
That feels utterly unrealistic to me. It's not like the cobbled Tour stages where it's entirely flat and all the flat domestiques put their GC leaders in their back pocket. And Passo del Lume is harder than anything in Strade Bianche. Plust it's a much more uneven and tired peloton

Will the roads be bone dry or has there been recent rainfall in the area? If the former is the case, then the dust adds another layer of difficulty to the stage.

If Passo del Lume is remotely as selective as Monte Sainte Marie (let alone harder like Red Rick says), then there will be carnage regardless of the weather. It's almost certain that Ineos will put on the pressure in one form or the other. Equally as certain is that some GC contenders will lose big time, maybe even someone we don't expect to - it is the first stage following the rest day after all.

Sorry, i don't buy the hype. It'll be a good stage but there's no terrain for carnage as some people suggest. I think it'll end up in a reduced bunch sprint with most of GC guys bar someone like Carthy or similar together. My eyes are a bit more focused towards the stage after as this "piccolo Mortirolo" does remind me a lil bit of Passo Serra 2015 and there might be 4 or 5 GC people gaining 30s or more on the rest. Mind you, my prediction are often the exact opposite to what actually happens.

That feels utterly unrealistic to me. It's not like the cobbled Tour stages where it's entirely flat and all the flat domestiques put their GC leaders in their back pocket. And Passo del Lume is harder than anything in Strade Bianche. Plust it's a much more uneven and tired peloton
Passo del Lume is brutal, yeah, but then the hard part is basically 50km from the finish. That's what's worrying me. As much as sterrato makes races harder, the reason Strade Bianche tends to blow up on sections with an easier profile is in part because the riders are willing to let it blow up and I'm just not as confident that teams will ride that way in a gt too. What gc rider will be willing to attack 50 km from the finish this early in a gt, and if the answer is nobody then the question becomes, can the race explode as we are hoping it will, just because some helper is setting a high enough pace? I'm simply unsure.

Passo del Lume is brutal, yeah, but then the hard part is basically 50km from the finish. That's what's worrying me. As much as sterrato makes races harder, the reason Strade Bianche tends to blow up on sections with an easier profile is in part because the riders are willing to let it blow up and I'm just not as confident that teams will ride that way in a gt too. What gc rider will be willing to attack 50 km from the finish this early in a gt, and if the answer is nobody then the question becomes, can the race explode as we are hoping it will, just because some helper is setting a high enough pace? I'm simply unsure.
In the race for positioning and nothing else we trust.