• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2020, stage 19: Morbegno › Asti (258k)

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I think the real reason this stage happened was because it was the only reasonable bid for the stage start and they thought they could get away with one.
Of course that's the only reason and we all know it. It's fine. If no town payed for a start we'd be probably left without the Giro d'Italia.
I just don't think the organizers had any major plan in mind when designing it, like testing endurance or hoping someone would bonk tomorrow after today's effort. Because it was pretty clear to anybody that today would have been a no effort for a pro peloton even if the stage was ridden in its entirety.

Sure, they should have thought about it months ago, when the whole route was presented, but I've long given up on the CPA or any cycling association to actually do anything sensible these days.

Of course that's the only reason and we all know it. It's fine. If no town payed for a start we'd be probably left without the Giro d'Italia.
I just don't think the organizers had any major plan in mind when designing it, like testing endurance or hoping someone would bonk tomorrow after today's effort. Because it was pretty clear to anybody that today would have been a no effort for a pro peloton even if the stage was ridden in its entirety.

Sure, they should have thought about it months ago, when the whole route was presented, but I've long given up on the CPA or any cycling association to actually do anything sensible these days.
Yeah, if they had a talk with Vegni right after the presentation and told him that the stage was rather pointless, I'd understand that.

ok just checked the official page. "Restart"?? What the heck? Normally you hear that when red flags are waved in motorsports.
The live update on the official page doesn't reveal much. Mud slide? Riders strike?
Well lunch time over, and work until like forever. Planned to watch the stage late night anyway.
Edit: ok missed the line with neutralization due to weather conditions. Riders surely weren't born at the '88 Gavia stage.

ok just checked the official page. "Restart"?? What the heck? Normally you hear that when red flags are waved in motorsports.
The live update on the official page doesn't reveal much. Mud slide? Riders strike?
Well lunch time over, and work until like forever. Planned to watch the stage late night anyway.

Riders saying 258 km in bad weather is not safe ... basically means they didn't feel like doing 258 km today.

Riders saying 258 km in bad weather is not safe ... basically means they didn't feel like doing 258 km today.

Ridiculous. Just ridiculous.
Riders should have clothings for any weather. I bet more riders are used to training several hours in freezing temps during winter.
I could slightly understand an excuse, if the region suddenly experienced a strange rapid drop in oxygene levels.

• Haha
Reactions: Red Rick
If this decision was unanimous, the peloton could have just started the normal stage length & gone really, really slowly & easy for 100 km (like the final stage of the Tour de France). Everyone could probably understand as well. But if some riders were okay with the initial length, kaboom, they'd attack & the peloton would be forced to ride as normal to maintain the gap.

I want to know how this happened & "who" speaks for everyone else in these sorts of protests.

De Gendt let everyone know that he wanted a day off so they gave him a shorter day..................about time the riders had a win of sorts with organizers.
You mean like in the 2016 Vuelta, when they all agreed to not bother to respect the time limit because of how supposedly hard the race had been, when they'd had a rest day 4 days earlier and a go-slow where they came in half an hour behind the breakaway 2 days prior, but the race organisers were too scared to throw them out?

It was posted on the Cicloweb forum, so I didn't come up with this one. Still, Montoso got repaved last year for the Giro and Pramartino is usually in good condition, so you could use those climbs early on, no problem.

I am from Bagnolo (Montoso is part of the municipality of Bagnolo). The descent from Montoso to Bibiana is too narrow, twisty and bumpy for the Giro. It would be perfect for an attack, but way too dangerous for the current standards of pro races. The alternative is to climb from Bibiana and go down to Bagnolo since the road is wider and in very good condition.

Unfortunately, Vegni decided to skip Montoso and Pramartino. They will go from Saluzzo to Cavour, then straight to Pinerolo. Cavour is just 6 km away from the beginning of Montoso (either side), and Pinerolo is just a couple of km away from the beginning of Pramartino.

You mean like in the 2016 Vuelta, when they all agreed to not bother to respect the time limit because of how supposedly hard the race had been, when they'd had a rest day 4 days earlier and a go-slow where they came in half an hour behind the breakaway 2 days prior, but the race organisers were too scared to throw them out?
Yes that was pretty funny............well..........

Absolutely disgraceful that they keep using covid to justify this when it's pretty obvious they just didn't feel like racing. The divide between teams that wanted to race and teams that didn't is suspiciously similar to the divide between teams that could benefit from racing and teams that couldn't.
Imagine taking the Maglia Rosa and then not wanting to race in it.

TRENDING THREADS