• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2020, Stage 3: Enna – Etna 150 km

Boys and girls. First and final volcano finish of Il Grandissimo. The location of the forges of Hephaestus himself. Who will forge a great win atop Mount Etna. Who will forge his One Ring To Rule Them All?

Stage 3: Enna – Etna 150 km
Monday, October 5th, 12:10 CEST

ALT_1280X852_TAPPA-3.jpg

PLAN_852x852_2020_TAPPA-3.jpg

Technical Overview:
The first MTF of the race comes immediately on the first Monday. This short stage starts from the town of Enna, in the middle of the island, and heads east through a sequence of shallow climbs and descents, rarely surpassing 5%, heading towards the highest active volcano in (geographical) Europe. None of these climbs is categorized, as the final climb will easily take all the attention, however some of them would deserve a category. For example, the climb that starts in Paternò and finishes just before Nicolosi measures about 13 km at 4%. It brings to the foot of the mountain (Nicolosi is the starting town of one of the roads that bring uphill), but the riders won’t start the real climbing yet. Instead, they’ll go around the mountain, from south to north through the eastern side. During the process, besides the stunning views, there will be two intermediate sprints, first in Zafferana Etnea and then, after a couple minor climbs, in Linguaglossa, where the climb finally starts. Mount Etna (GPM1, 18.8 km at 6.6%) has recently been a very common sight in the Giro, but often from different sides. The one of today is relatively new, having only been climbed in the 2011 stage, but not all the way to the top, as the road diverges 3 km before today’s finish. Those new 3 km are also the steepest part of the climb, which doesn’t bode well for long-range attacks, but being only stage 3 I think it’s fine. It is definitely a great climb to shake the GC up and to provide a first chance to gauge the strength of the climbers.

UKM_1280X852_TAPPA-3.jpg

The Climbs:
Mount Etna: GPM1, 18.8 km at 6.6%

Yet another ascent to the volcano. This time it’s from the northern side, with a finish at Piano Provenzana. A very regular climb at 7% in the first two thirds, followed then by an easier and a harder section.
WJifi1Y.jpeg

What to expect:
Hopefully attacks in the last 3 km (I would be very surprised if they come before that). Recently the Etna did not see good racing, mainly due to the wind and its usual early placement in the race. We’ll see this time.

volcan-etna_2.jpg

Mount Etna

A lovely Monday treat.

Yates to go and we'll see who can hold on. Will be interesting how G rides if someone attacks early and whether he actively tries to cover or if he just hedges his bets that if he sticks with the bulk of the GC riders and finishes strong each day that his TT will cover the rest.

Reactions: LaFlorecita
Those who have the legs to take time back on Thomas have to do it. This is the toughest MTF in the first two weeks. If Nibali, Fuglsang and Vlasov don't start attacking they will be minutes behind after the second time trial. It's time for action for any climber who wants to win the Giro.

Reactions: sir fly
Boys and girls. First and final volcano finish of Il Grandissimo. The location of the forges of Hephaestus himself. Who will forge a great win atop Mount Etna. Who will forge his One Ring To Rule Them All?
I can only recall the Great One forging his One Ring To Rule Them All but Rujano.
More recent visits to the forges of Hephaestus have made it look like Monte Terminillo on smoke and ashes.

Those who have the legs to take time back on Thomas have to do it. This is the toughest MTF in the first two weeks. If Nibali, Fuglsang and Vlasov don't start attacking they will be minutes behind after the second time trial. It's time for action for any climber who wants to win the Giro.
I'd hope for a Vlasov attack but he can't at the moment, since he left the race today haha.

Reactions: Sandisfan
It is not a hard stage up until the climb. Everybody should be relatively fresh this early in the race.

I think it will be a group with someone maybe grabbing 10-20 seconds. It is not the time to go all-out and gain everything back. I think most is content with seeing how everybody is and not lose more time.

It is not a hard stage up until the climb. Everybody should be relatively fresh this early in the race.

I think it will be a group with someone maybe grabbing 10-20 seconds. It is not the time to go all-out and gain everything back. I think most is content with seeing how everybody is and not lose more time.

Definitely feels likely that it comes to a final kick. However, I do think if someone was really feeling it you could see a really strong argument for testing G and Ineos early, particularly if you are nervy about stages getting cancelled later.

Fuglsang should just disguise himself as Vlasov, and then nobody would bother closing him down.
Perfect ninja tactic

Not even then. He waited till the last km or so on the Etna in 2018 too (and then still gained 30 seconds)
Yates is still the favorite here though. I'd love for Nibali to win it though
He had Chaves to babysit then tbh. But I also don't think so. Think waiting for the final 2km is the most likely. There's a flatish part before the steep section, and riders don't generally attack the first part of a steep section.

UCI messed up this season. Giro 103 is an ancient and wonderful race. I feel so bad looking scheduled events. Today Alphilippe was the proper symbol of french UCI leadership: great, strong and self-satisfied loser...
About Etna I expect a move by Nibali and/or Yates

Just to give dignity to Giro, Vuelta and Classic race. But UCI choose to save the Tour burning all the rest.
A lot of solutions were available also to reduce GT to 2 week, but this will be another controversial topic

Yeah, reducing Grand Tours to two weeks would have been much, much worse. So please don't torch UCI if that was the alternative.

TRENDING THREADS