• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Stage 20: Bormio - Passa del Tonale (178km)

Ok folks. Last road stage of the Giro. Looks tough, Gavia is big. Basso FTW.

alt_20new_600.jpg

pla_20new_600.jpg

Jun 27, 2009
Visit site
I like the Italian trio from today to make another go on the Gavia and then fight amongst themselves for the podium placings on the Tonale.

Arroyo and Evans will have to hope one of Scarponi, Basso, or Nibali have a bad day.

Overall it looks good for Basso but anything can happen on a stage like this.

Moondance where's the literary flourish in your stage description? :D

I can see cunego finally taking a win though, wouldn't be surprised if he took it a little easy today to allow himself to go for the stage tomorrow

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Hoping someone like Sastre or Vino will try a kamikaze long range attack.

By the way, it's "Passo", not "Passa" :)
Don't copy from CN.com, they have it wrong.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
After seeing Basso descent today, you gotta assume they will tear it up on the gavia again.
I can't wait to watch a doping accusation frenzy tomorrow :)

Go Sastre ! :D

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Moondance said:
I am so not doing this for the Tour

If you're an intelligent person like I think you are, you won't set foot in this forum for the entirety of July :)

The fanboys will be beyond the impossible. And I don't just mean the Armstrong ones. (At least in my experience the Contador fanboys managed to be far less rational last year)

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
So after the last 3 weeks they decide to top it off with this stage just for kicks and giggles. Crazy.

I think what we are starting to see is just how hard it is for everyone to keep it together for a full 3 weeks anno 2010. Which means that this ain't over yet, as they all looked spent yesterday, towards the end.

Penultimate stage and everyone in the top still has their work cut out to secure their placing or improve upon it.

Though it might be nice to revisit my pre-giro predictions and to see how they had survived:

1. Sastre
2. Evans
3. Garzelli
4. Pozzovivo
5. Vino

Only Evans and Vino are riding the Giro as I had pictured it. Sastre not there, Garzelli was my dark horse entry, he needed to ride exceptionally well to be there, and he hasn't - miles off the pace. I figured a good early breakaway might let him cling onto this spot - seems Arroyo is filling those boots now. Pozzovivo did 10 stages with a fracture and dropped out. **** happens.

Both Basso and Nibali are riding well above where I had them. Vino had shown he still had it to be almost there. Maybe I should have figured out that Basso too would then have what it takes. I thought Nibali would do very well, but would be too young for 3 weeks even if he had prepared to be here in peak form, which he hadn't. The kid has grown up it seems if this is what he can do as a call-up.

From a personal interest pov, not sure who has impressed me more, Kruijswijk or Mollema. Rabo has a lot to look forward to if this is the Dutch generation coming through (if they remain on their team). As a unit, for a young leaderless team (with 2 riders that were not supposed to be here), they have done good. Just 19 minutes off the pace from Liquigas in the team rankings, that is impressive, all the more if you see where the rest ranks. Shame the team here was indeed too weak to make one single attempt count, but I'd still be pretty chuffed with how the riders came through these 3 weeks, if I was Rabo.

How are people's predictions holding up?

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
aarnold517 said:
Moondance where's the literary flourish in your stage description? :D

I can see cunego finally taking a win though, wouldn't be surprised if he took it a little easy today to allow himself to go for the stage tomorrow

Would like to see that, but don't think he would have been saving energy for a stage win tomorrow when he arrived at about 5 minutes today. if he'd rolled in at 20 minutes, I might suspect that, but I think he's just doing what he can to retain his GC placing.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Moondance realy appreciated your work all throughout the Giro, I'm stating it now because I don't know if I'll be in the forum when you put on the next topic.

For tomorrow, I think Liqui will try to ensure everything stays together and let Basso attack again on the Gavia, mainly because he needs at least 1'30" going into that descent if he wants to keep the pink jersey

Eat your heart out, Poor de France. Got any climbs like this along the Paris Périphérique?

t20s01.jpg

t20s02.jpg

t20s03.jpg

t20s04.jpg

Now der bad news. Just checked out the Passo di Gavia Meteo and yup, snow forecast for the am, heavy rain in the pm.

icefire said:
Let's just hope there's not a single off-road descent. The South side of the Gavia is a really fearful road to ride downhill.

Basso? Brown shorts, never mind pink jersey, IMO. He'll be terrified of the Gavia Descent from this side.

TRENDING THREADS