• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro predictions:

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
1. Sastre
2. Pellizotti
3. Basso

:p

/edit:
Or this one:

Sastre
Uran
Cunego
Kolobnev
Iglinksy
Taaramae
Arroyo
Ulissi
Sioutsou
Seeldrayers
Intxausti
Evans

:)

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
ak-zaaf said:
1. Sastre
2. Pellizotti
3. Basso

:p

/edit:
Or this one:

Sastre
Uran
Cunego
Kolobnev
Iglinksy
Taaramae
Arroyo
Ulissi
Sioutsou
Seeldrayers
Intxausti
Evans

:)

Do you just sit up at night thinking of news ways to annoy me?:D

Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
Dunno if your serious but I have a feeling mollema is gonna be a big hit at the giro, really make a name of himself.

1. Pellizotti
2. Sastre
3. Evans
4. Basso
5. Mollema
I was of course being slightly overoptimistic, I think you are too, but he could do well... although top-10 would already exceed my expectations.

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
José Rujano will win the Giro this year

Just look at him this year, he's better than in 2005, when he had the title in the hand, and loose it because mechanical problems at the ITT...

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
1) Evans
2) Sastre
3) Pellizotti

Evans will beat Sastre, since--unlike the 2008 Tour--this time their teams will be pretty equal. If Evans had just had one guy to help in the mountains he would have won that Tour.

Wallace said:
1) Evans
2) Sastre
3) Pellizotti

Evans will beat Sastre, since--unlike the 2008 Tour--this time their teams will be pretty equal. If Evans had just had one guy to help in the mountains he would have won that Tour.

Evans would have won in 2008 if he simply would have had a DS who was smart enough to tell him to time trial to the top of Alpe d'Huez instead of farting around with the Schlecks and their group's changes in pace.

Wallace said:
1) Evans
2) Sastre
3) Pellizotti

If you mean by "pretty equal" that both teams have a serious lack of climbing domestiques, you're right. That's why I don't completely understand Evans' move to BMC: as bad as Lotto was for him, at least they have the odd rider who is capable of going up a hill with the twenty-or-so strongest.

Wallace said:
1) Evans
2) Sastre
3) Pellizotti

I agree, but I think the Giro climbs favour Sastre over Evans. Only 36.3k of ITT's with one of those a hill climb hurts Evans vs. Sastre and the other climbers. Not sure what to expect of BMC in the TTT.

IMO Evans is more built for the Tour than the Giro because of his time trialing abilities and lack of explosiveness on the climbs. Unfortunately for him his peak years have come when he was on a bad team and coincided with the arrival of Berto

1. Sastre
2. Pellizotti
3. Evans

El Oso said:
I agree, but I think the Giro climbs favour Sastre over Evans. Only 36.3k of ITT's with one of those a hill climb hurts Evans vs. Sastre and the other climbers. Not sure what to expect of BMC in the TTT.

IMO Evans is more built for the Tour than the Giro because of his time trialing abilities and lack of explosiveness on the climbs. Unfortunately for him his peak years have come when he was on a bad team and coincided with the arrival of Berto

I am going to bet that Evans has changed a little. We saw him ride more aggressively in the mountains last year. It never relly paid off last year. It won't help against riders like Contador or Valverde, but Sastre and Pellizotti are no Contador and Valverde.

The course does not suit Evans nearly as well as last year's Giro did, but Evans is a really solid, consistent rider. I think he might be able to pull off the win.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
I am going to bet that Evans has changed a little. We saw him ride more aggressively in the mountains last year. It never relly paid off last year. It won't help against riders like Contador or Valverde, but Sastre and Pellizotti are no Contador and Valverde.

The course does not suit Evans nearly as well as last year's Giro did, but Evans is a really solid, consistent rider. I think he might be able to pull off the win.
Hope your right!
BroDeal said:
Evans would have won in 2008 if he simply would have had a DS who was smart enough to tell him to time trial to the top of Alpe d'Huez instead of farting around with the Schlecks and their group's changes in pace.

I think he went as hard as he could. You could tell from the bottom of the climb he looked weak.

luckyboy said:
Except Pellizotti = whichever Liquigas GT guy

Agreed as to Nibali and Kreuziger. I'm not sure if clean Basso is a podium guy. Top 10, yes, but not podium, he'll crack and lose time on one or two of the climbs. Going with Pellizotti because of last year's podium.

BroDeal said:

I hope and think he has as well. His attacks at last year's Tour and Ardennes classics were just at foolish locations. However, his attack at Worlds was obviously perfect. It was good to see him riding aggressively at TDU. I'm hoping it was a case of being on Lotto which, other than Gilbert's romp last fall, seemed to be a curse. Hard to attack in the Tour when the other teams are ganging up on you and there are no teammates in sight (2008).

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
El Oso said:
Agreed as to Nibali and Kreuziger. I'm not sure if clean Basso is a podium guy. Top 10, yes, but not podium, he'll crack and lose time on one or two of the climbs. Going with Pellizotti because of last year's podium.

I hope and think he has as well. His attacks at last year's Tour and Ardennes classics were just at foolish locations. However, his attack at Worlds was obviously perfect. It was good to see him riding aggressively at TDU. I'm hoping it was a case of being on Lotto which, other than Gilbert's romp last fall, seemed to be a curse. Hard to attack in the Tour when the other teams are ganging up on you and there are no teammates in sight (2008).
+1

Or are in breakaways (2009)

TRENDING THREADS