• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro Stage 9: Benevento – S.Giorgio del Sannio 215 kms

How is this still not up right now, it's the best designed stage of the year???
I already feel pity on those in the peloton who will undergo some vintage Kazahk butchering

Astana to creathe chaos, havoc and annihalation. Groups will finish scattered, broken and riders will be crying for their mommies. Aru to try and dislodge Contador and fail. Small group to break free from the main contenders and contest the stage victory

Kreuziger and Rogers better be useful tomorrow

Stage 9: Benevento – S.Giorgio del Sannio 224 kms

0QxUwxGh.png

tappa_dettagli_tecnici_planimetria_09.jpg

Start time: 11:15, May 17th

Analysis:
Just before the rest day, a very tough and quite long hilly stage. Benevento and S.Giorgio del Sannio are very close to each other, so the peloton will take a long tour of the area. It's tricky from the get go, with lots of ups and down in the first 20 kms, which will probably favour a big battle for the breakaway. After that, a flat section and an uncategorized climb of roughly 10 kms at 4%, before the first obstacle of the day, the GPM2 Monte Terminio (20 kms at 4.2%). After its descent, another climb, the way more serious Colle Molella (GPM1, 9.5 kms at 6.3%), featuring 3 kms at 9.4 %. This climb is also known as Lago Laceno, which is the village that hosted already a few stage finishes (the last one in 2012). After the descent, the bunch will face two false flats, that rarely go over 5%, and then start climbing the key point of the stage: the GPM2 Passo Serra (3.6 kms at 8%). This is a very irregular climb, that features a central part of 2 kms at 9.4%. The pass tops at 12 kms to go. The descent ends around 5 kms to go, and after 2 kms uphill again at 5%, the road finally flattens out for the last 3 kms.

tappa_09_S02.jpg

tappa_09_S04.jpg

giBE41d.png

l6tDiv0.png

Expectations:
Tough to call. This comes just after the first gc battle, and before a rest day. I expect the breakaway to take it, but some of the big guys or the attackers could try to keep it together and attack on Passo Serra. It should be fun.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Best stage profile of the giro, there's no way this can be boring. Contador really needs a good team here.

Many crazy things can happen here. Astana has to go full genius here, they can't wait.

Now this is a stage where your team can help you. Sky and, in particular, Astana will try to get into the early break. Astana have got plenty of pieces to play with, so look out for bridging attacks from Landa and Cataldo when the going gets tough. Rogers and Kreuziger will have to earn their pay tomorrow. I can see Movistar capitalising on the ensuing chaos and landing another stage win. I'll go with Visconti.

Re: Re:

search said:
Netserk said:
http://www.lasicilia.it/articolo/giro-9a-tappa-percorso-modificato

Stage length is 224km due to some roadwork. Eshnar, do you know where along the route it is changed?

here is the new profile

0QxUwxGh.png

so some flat parts have been added before the first climb and on the top of the 2nd one
Thanks search :)

Where did you find it?

@Red Rick, please copy/paste instead of quote, so the images don't become smaller.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Astana if they are smart will play this for Landa or Cataldo, to put some pressure on Maglia Rosa, cause Aru will hardly drop Contador. But if Sky decides to chase, it's a chance for Visconti/Amador then.

Edit: I'm talking about GC battle, for a stage win could be breakaway

Big break tomorrow ...LL Sanchez, Zardini, Slaghter, Hansen. Paterski, Chaves, + + +

And I think Astana will make it very hard from the off ...
Porte said that 'Astana could smell blood today "

They know they are the strongest team and theyhave the ability to isolate Contador and possibly Porte

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
Wouldn't mind if they showed first 50km so we could witness a great fight for getting away. This could be more thrilling than some finishes :D Hope Astana will go mental to have numbers in a breakaway (ex. Cataldo + Sanchez + Tiralongo ).