• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro's Unluckiest Rider?

Aug 11, 2009
Visit site
After the crash-filled and chaotic first-half of the race, there are more than a few candidates for the dubious distinction of unluckiest rider in this year's Giro. But, my vote would be for Michele Scarponi. One can debate endlessly about whether Liquigas or Astana should have shut down that giant breakaway. But, Liquigas had an amazing Giro, anyway, and Vino didn't have the legs in the third week to hold a top GC position. Scarponi, however, had the legs for a podium finish. Really tough luck for him; really tenacious riding by Arroyo.

This thread isn't in The Clinic, so please don't respond that so-and-so was "unlucky" to race against dopers. But, I'd love to hear other thoughts about who lost out in this year's Giro good fortune lottery.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
5 crashes happened in front of him and brought him down. 3 punctures.
And that was just the first week.

I think Sastre wins this hands down.

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
issoisso said:

I was going to say the same. Sastre was nursing his discomfort due to the crashes throughout the Giro and never felt entirely healthy.

I'd also add:

-Greipel's illness rendering him moot for all but one of the Sprint stages.

-For sentimental reasons, Gibo Simoni was a bit unlucky to not win a stage in his last Giro, but then again that has more to do with his not having the legs rather than any sense of bad luck.

A

Anonymous

trompe le monde said:
-For sentimental reasons, Gibo Simoni was a bit unlucky to not win a stage in his last Giro, but then again that has more to do with his not having the legs rather than any sense of bad luck.

agreed, although he maybe didnt have the legs for the stage, he SHOULD have been first over the climb. moment completely lacking in class from Tschopp. The most dissapointing part for me, of what was otherwise a wonderful giro.

I guess there is no place for sentiment in pro cycling, either that or Tschopp is just an arsehole

Aug 11, 2009
Visit site
issoisso said:

No doubt, Sastre had more than his share of bad luck. I went for Scarponi because Sastre being allowed to ride in that breakaway almost seemed like some sort of karmic retribution to me. When he got the time back, I actually thought he might go on to win the Giro with all of those mountains still to ride. But, in hindsight, I think you're right that he was nursing those bruises all along--even after the good fortune of gaining the time back--and surely that hurt a lot in the final week.

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:
agreed, although he maybe didnt have the legs for the stage, he SHOULD have been first over the climb. moment completely lacking in class from Tschopp. The most dissapointing part for me, of what was otherwise a wonderful giro.

I guess there is no place for sentiment in pro cycling, either that or Tschopp is just an arsehole

I'm glad someone else noticed that. It was clear that Tschopp had the legs to win the stage, but he could have gifted Simoni the Gavia; that would have been very classy and far more memorable. I like the gutsiness of a number of the Bbox riders, but that was easily the lowlight of the Giro for me.

Steampunk said:
I'm glad someone else noticed that. It was clear that Tschopp had the legs to win the stage, but he could have gifted Simoni the Gavia; that would have been very classy and far more memorable. I like the gutsiness of a number of the Bbox riders, but that was easily the lowlight of the Giro for me.
Really? How clear could it have been at the top of the Gavia when he only ended up winning by 16 seconds?

A

Anonymous

dgodave said:
Really? How clear could it have been at the top of the Gavia when he only ended up winning by 16 seconds?

well it was clear he was in a better position to win the stage than simoni i think is what he meant. It looked like he had the legs to go all the way, where it was obvious that simoni didnt. Simoni was after one last hurrah and the cima coppi and that heartless sod took it away from him.

Makes hincapie not getting yellow look like a playground scuffle in comparison.

If ferrari could dope riders with class i think there a few who could do with visiting him.

May 5, 2009
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:
moment completely lacking in class from Tschopp. The most dissapointing part for me, of what was otherwise a wonderful giro.

completely ridicolous. this is cycling. Tschopp is a poor little domestique who has not won one a Grand Tour or Pro Tour stage. The big ones were approx. a minute behind them. Under normal circumstances, Tschopp knew he will be caught in the final climb. So he gave all to have at least the Cima Coppi. Fair fight man against man. Interestingly, Simoni has no problems with this in contrast to you. But then again, what am I wasting my time with a guy who calls a domestique hard fighting for a small success an a..hole. poor, just poor, sorry. no respect.

May 5, 2009
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:
well it was clear he was in a better position to win the stage than simoni...

gimme a break. a no name domestique with one stage win in his entire career in a nameless course somewhere in Africa and Gibo Simoni. and you say "the domestique in a better position to win" with a final climb of 10km and the big ones a bit more than a minute behind. So why were the betting quotes for Simoni substantially lower than Tschopp's at that moment? Hey and big guns like Vino who wanted stage win at any price less than a minute behind (Vino quotes also lower at that time). In hindsight, it is so easy.

The poor domestique's who are treated ****, paid **** shall make presents to the successful riders if they are not good or fast enough to win?

Luckily Simoni himself doesn't see it this way. Respect. He said that he was disappointed that they had worked so hard and were not able to increase the gap, so he was expecting they will be caught by the top GC riders and that's why he gave all for the Cima Coppi, but it was not enough. In hindsight, he said, he should have stayed with Vino's group and saved energy for the last climb to have a chance for the stage win, but on the Gavia he estimated they have almost no chance to get through with only over a minute on the Liqi-express.

ok. let' stop hijacking this thread.

my choice for the unluckiest rider goes also to Bruseghin. maybe also Sastre to some extent. and of course Cadel - unlucky to have an almost non existing and weak team...

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
I feel sorry for Evans, if he had one team mate on stage 3 he wouldn't have lost that 46sec, & would have been only 4sec of the podium after today.

Christian Vandevelde: Two years, two fractures, one week out if six.

Eyeballs Out said:
Good for Tschopp. Simoni wanted to win - he wasn't good enough - end of story. Simoni isn't being a whiney little ***** about it (probably because he'd have done exactly the same) so I'm not sure why everyone on here is

If you had bothered to look, all Simoni said of Tschopp and the Cima Coppi: "That's bike racing", making you the whiny little *****.

Mellow Velo said:
Christian Vandevelde: Two years, two fractures, one week out if six.

If you had bothered to look, all Simoni said of Tschopp and the Cima Coppi: "That's bike racing", making you the whiny little *****.

Err.. that's what I said. See above

Simoni is not whining or looking for sympathy and frankly deserves a lot better than this nausiating pity

Tschopp, as a rider struggling to make a career for himself on a small team, deserves a whole lot better

Oct 5, 2009
Visit site
Irish2009 said:
I feel sorry for Evans, if he had one team mate on stage 3 he wouldn't have lost that 46sec, & would have been only 4sec of the podium after today.

Who had control over what team he went to?

Feel bad for him because he made a poor choice..

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
The Tour de L'Aude - second biggest stage race for women - has a Prix de Malchance (Bad Luck Award, for those who don't like French) every stage. Every tour should have that.

TRENDING THREADS