• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giulio Ciccone thread

After his exploits this year he surely deserves his own thread. When I picked him for my CQ team I knew he'd be good but I have just loved the way he has gone after his goals this year. I don't think even he could have imagined being in yellow. Chapeau young man. With Bardet having a tough time at least I can enjoy this fella.

He has a conundrum now though. Does he try to hang onto yellow? Or give away loads of time so that he can go for the KOM jersey instead?

Re:

tobydawq said:
No conundrum.

You don't give the most coveted jersey away voluntarily, unless you are planning on wearing it in Paris.

But Alaphilippe may very well relieve him from wearing it in the weekend.
I can see it being quite an exciting battle between the 2 of them for bonus seconds and maybe even a stage win or 2 over this weekend, with the ultimate prize being to have the tv cameras follow your every move on the BAgneres and possibly even Tourmalet stages.

armchairclimber said:
After his exploits this year he surely deserves his own thread. When I picked him for my CQ team I knew he'd be good but I have just loved the way he has gone after his goals this year. I don't think even he could have imagined being in yellow. Chapeau young man. With Bardet having a tough time at least I can enjoy this fella.

He has a conundrum now though. Does he try to hang onto yellow? Or give away loads of time so that he can go for the KOM jersey instead?

I had the same idea today of making a thread about him. Beat me to it. I love the tenacity and drive he has. He will win many stages in years to come.

Re:

armchairclimber said:
It is tricky for Ciccone. His team is behind LRP. His usual MO is get in the break and collect mountain points. Now he has the biggest role in cycling unexpectedly. I hope the team help him to defend it for a few stages at least.
Trek will probably be happy about the attention they get with the jersey and Segafredo are probably super happy with and Italian guy wearing it, so they'll probably try to defend it for a few days.

fuiers said:
armchairclimber said:

I had the same idea today of making a thread about him. Beat me to it. I love the tenacity and drive he has. He will win many stages in years to come.
I was thinking the same thing. Also surprised that Teuns doesn't have one. This forum can be weird about which riders get a thread sometimes.

Logic-is-your-friend said:
fuiers said:
armchairclimber said:

I was thinking the same thing. Also surprised that Teuns doesn't have one. This forum can be weird about which riders get a thread sometimes.

Haha, one minute later your wish was granted :lol:

Edit: Actually, it may just have been a few seconds...

Re: Re:

Mayomaniac said:
armchairclimber said:
It is tricky for Ciccone. His team is behind LRP. His usual MO is get in the break and collect mountain points. Now he has the biggest role in cycling unexpectedly. I hope the team help him to defend it for a few stages at least.
Trek will probably be happy about the attention they get with the jersey and Segafredo are probably super happy with and Italian guy wearing it, so they'll probably try to defend it for a few days.

Yeah, forgot about the Italian connection. Great. I hope he has a few days in the jersey at least.
It would be funny as hell if he just decided to try and get in the break anyways.

Would be interesting to see if he just follows wheels to keep ahead of the GC favourites. Seems to be confident in the mountains. His team have a decision to make - either switch support to Ciccone or continue fully supporting Porte. Would like to see the team fully supporting him as I don't think Porte has the legs at the moment,

Let's not forget he's got the Giro in his legs and this is his first season not only riding back to back GTs but even two GTs in one year.

I knew he was something special after his stage win in the 2016 Giro, but I was afraid the heart surgeries he went through could hinder his development.
He's from Chieti, my girlfriend's mother hometown, so that's another reason for me to cheer for him.

Sometimes he gives me the same feelings Michele Scarponi used to give me. A passionate, funny young man who always tries hard. Could be his heir actually.

armchairclimber said:

Why not both? ;)

Nah, he's got to hang on. You don't give up THE jersey voluntarily.
Also essentially he's in France to help Porte, right? The longer he keeps yellow the more opportunity Porte has to do whatever his legs allow him.

Impressive cyclist though for sure, and he seems like a nice guy too. Very easy to support someone like him.

spalco said:
armchairclimber said:

Why not both? ;)

Nah, he's got to hang on. You don't give up THE jersey voluntarily.
Also essentially he's in France to help Porte, right? The longer he keeps yellow the more opportunity Porte has to do whatever his legs allow him.

Impressive cyclist though for sure, and he seems like a nice guy too. Very easy to support someone like him.
He said that he'll try to keep the jersey as long as possible, but that Porte is the captain and the gc rider that he and the team will work for. He seems to have a decent relationship with Porte, they did a training camp in the Sierra Nevada before the Ardennes and one in Isola 2000 before the Tour.
Purito used to be his idol, his favourite active rider is Valverde.

Ciccone will definitely be the most interesting italian rider in this tour. Viviani hit-or-many misses, Nibs will enjoy the ride, Aru...sorry Fabio
My hope is that he will end up having a better career than De Marchi.....hype is difficult to stop once unleashed!

PS: I don't think he's related to Madonna :D . Madonna's grandparents were from a village called Pacentro (province of L' Aquila) whereas Ciccone is from the city of Chieti (province of Chieti)
The Ciccone surname is pretty equally distributed throughout Abruzzo (202 families overall).

TRENDING THREADS