• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

God dam pop up ads

Ferminal testing polls

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Some of the ads last year were like terrible and could set off epileptic fits if viewed for too long. I disabled Adblock to help speed my computer up but that was a mistake and quickly enabled it.

Firefox with Adblock is the best for stopping that crap.

A

Anonymous

I havnt seen any. But im using opera, dont even need an adblocker installed. :D Why everyone persists with firefox or ie with extensions installed I dont know.

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:
I havnt seen any. But im using opera, dont even need an adblocker installed. :D Why everyone persists with firefox or ie with extensions installed I dont know.

I've never tried Opera, but have Windows XP so I'm not sure that will work on an old OS?

I was thinking of putting Chrome on but worried about feeds not working..

sublimit said:
I've never tried Opera, but have Windows XP so I'm not sure that will work on an old OS?

I was thinking of putting Chrome on but worried about feeds not working..

Opera and Chrome are both fine. If you want to try them without putting a footprint on your machine, try the standalone versions at http://portableapps.com/ and they will run fine out of any folder. Great if you have restricted admin access too!

A

Anonymous

luckyboy said:
Less video-related stuff works on Opera than Chrome for me. Chrome, however, doesn't have a nice bookmarks bar down the side so Opera wins most of the time.

i dont think i could live without opera speeddial now. have over 60 sites on my speeddial. :D
21e20ra.png

i also couldnt live without integrated email

TeamSkyFans said:
i dont think i could live without opera speeddial now. have over 60 sites on my speeddial. :D
21e20ra.png

i also couldnt live without integrated email

That sounds/looks good.

But unfortunately for me I'm terrible with change, had enough problems going from FF3 to 4/5, no status bar!

Moved the thread to the proper forum too.

A

Anonymous

Ferminal said:
That sounds/looks good.

But unfortunately for me I'm terrible with change, had enough problems going from FF3 to 4/5, no status bar!

Moved the thread to the proper forum too.

well get used to it, FF will be at 7 very shortly. I already have Firefox 8 installed. They are aiming to get up to FF11 by the first quarter of next year to come into line with opera (12.5) and IE (Currently IE 10 is at preview stage)

Maybe someone would be so kind to tell us about that irritating phone add? I don't mind all the static flash adds, but this one annoys me - I HAVE noticed the Samsung phone, yes!!!!(And now I'm almost so irritated that I'll never buy a Samsung again:mad:)

Mar 5, 2009
Visit site
If you can send me a screen grab...

Hi all:

I've been asking around our ad operations department and we don't have any client booking for any pop ups ads. It could be that you have a mallware or adware infection but... we use a couple of different ad networks in different regions of the world and one of them might be running the campaign against our wishes. I am in the US and it seems like this pop up ad is appearing in Europe so I'm not seeing it. If I can get a screen grab of the ad or a link to the site the ad refers to, I can ask that it be blocked by the network that's running it.

You can email me either of those things at smedcroft@futureus.com.

Thanks

Michielveedeebee said:
I use Chrome, and every 2 times I open a CN page I get the stupid Samsung add

I don't know what the OP 'just some guy' is using for a browser. And sorry I don't use Chrome. I'm an Internet Exploder user, which has pop-up blocker settings that work pretty well. In IE, if pop-up blocker is turned ON, then specific sites can be defined that allow pop-ups just from them.

That said... back to Chrome... they apparently have pop-up blocker settings. See website GOOGLE CHROME HELPS. Are you using their pop-up blocker, and still have issues?

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
on3m@n@rmy said:
I don't know what the OP 'just some guy' is using for a browser. And sorry I don't use Chrome. I'm an Internet Exploder user, which has pop-up blocker settings that work pretty well. In IE, if pop-up blocker is turned ON, then specific sites can be defined that allow pop-ups just from them.

That said... back to Chrome... they apparently have pop-up blocker settings. See website GOOGLE CHROME HELPS. Are you using their pop-up blocker, and still have issues?

Yes I do, that's exactly why it bugs me so much :p

I used IE for years. But switched to Chrome after I updated to IE 9. IE 9 sucked, really really bad update imo :/

here's a google chrome pop-up issue I found on the web:

I am opening popup window in my application, Edit some data and click on save button but that value is not updated in my parent window?? and also popup window is opening in New window everytime. It is working fine in IE and Firefox. Is there any problem in google chrome to save the value from popup window??

Sounds like you are not alone. Seems like the chrome user cannot prevent pop-ups after a pop-up has appeared once. Could be a browser/OS issue more than a CN issue.

For you Google Chrome users: google is aware of Chrome pop-up blocker not working all the time (http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Chrome/thread?tid=1b94365a745d0c6b&hl=en). They say it will be fixed later in the year. OFC that was posted by a Google employee on 6/22/2010. If you page through the Google/support/forum/Chrome thread above, they say going to the latest version of Chrome (version 5 at that time, but the latest stable version is 13.0 Aug 9 2011) may help. So depending on what version of Chrome you are at, you may benefit from getting the latest stable update. (note - there are beta versions 14 and higher out there.)

Another option if that does not work or you already have the latest version of Chrome... the last post (page 4) in the Google/support/forum/ Chrome thread above thread says this:
(posted 8/7/2011) WHAT WORKED FOR ME.
I posted this forum, and I haven't had pop ups in forever. I am telling you. Download the Google Chrome Extension called "Better Pop Up Blocker". It works wonders, and I haven't had one pop up.

cheers and good luck,
OMA

TRENDING THREADS