• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 108 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The thing that makes it more interesting is that it’s not just Pog v. Rog, and UAE v. TJV. Ineos will have cards to play, and even though they won’t have the best rider in the race they could still have the strongest team and they do know how to win.
Exactamundo! Ineos with a left hook could probably win it.

Last edited:
I think this was great. I had picked pog to win this, but chapeau to rog. great tactical win and an epic fail by uae - pog would have been up there and likely won the stage had they not hesitated in favor of mcnulty at first. tho it is questionable that pog would have been able to do enough to make up his time deficit in GC...

i definitely admire rog's perseverance and sportsmanship. even though i do not find him a particularly exciting rider and still do not think the TDF will even be close...

gaudu continues to make steps.

I think this was great. I had picked pog to win this, but chapeau to rog. great tactical win and an epic fail by uae - pog would have been up there and likely won the stage had they not hesitated in favor of mcnulty at first. tho it is questionable that pog would have been able to do enough to make up his time deficit in GC...

i definitely admire rog's perseverance and sportsmanship. even though i do not find him a particularly exciting rider and still do not think the TDF will even be close...

gaudu continues to make steps.
Not likely.

Tbh, before Roglic become dominant force he was quite the attacking rider. I remember a romandie where he and a young Bernal kept trading accelerations a long way form the finish.

It's just that for most of 2020/2019, it wasn't needed for him to attack from afar. Less incentive.
I also remember him being way too aggressive in Il Lombardia. How often did that happen?

He is looking immense, clearly number one right now and the best team. UAE had a very strong team on paper and and Jumbo Visma a "weak" team and arguably does a lot of errors but still dominating. I fear that Tdf will be very one-sided this year

More exciting than all of his 2020 races combined. Le nouveau Roglic est arrivé!

I would like to start a petition to put Frans Maassen in the TJV team car during the Tour de France!

Another fun fact. Maassen and Niermann, the DS duo here in Itzulia is the same duo that was present at the Tour (and Vuelta) last year. Fortunatelly since the pee-gate in the Giro, Addy Engels has been absent from the races Roglič participates in haha.

I guess that silly talk about how boring rider Roglic is now ends.
Not really. This victory was great and taking his fait into his own hands that far from the finish by going on the attack showed real panache BUT it's not really something new that riders act vastly different during gt's compared to small stage races. I mean, if you want to see great offensive racing by Roglic there is enough to look at in the past as well, just not when he was competing for gt victories. If this kind of aggression translates to the tour I'm happy but I doubt it will. I think his tdf approach will be exactly as passive as it was last year.

What stage and what a final 50km of racing. Really great to see such exciting racing and great to see such a champion as Roglic win it in the end. Chapeau!

EyoXBSmXEAEkbDl

Eyocl3qXIAADARm

EyoG00NWYAAche0

EyoT9AnXMAE0HNy

Not really. This victory was great and taking his fait into his own hands that far from the finish by going on the attack showed real panache BUT it's not really something new that riders act vastly different during gt's compared to small stage races. I mean, if you want to see great offensive racing by Roglic there is enough to look at in the past as well, just not when he was competing for gt victories. If this kind of aggression translates to the tour I'm happy but I doubt it will. I think his tdf approach will be exactly as passive as it was last year.
Also Completely different team now and the Tour, this time he was forced to do a lot more by himself. not really comparable

TRENDING THREADS