• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 124 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Interesting and rather rare: 2 months without a start before TdF.
It's nothing new for him. In 2019 he had only one race day (NC RR) between the end of the Giro (June 2nd) and the start of the Vuelta (August 24th). That's almost 3 months. And there's a reason for that decision. After the Giro he was physically and mentally completely drained. He needed a long rest from competition and it ended being a good decision as he won that Vuelta later in the year.

This season there's a different reason, with a look towards the future. He usually has no problems getting into racing rhythm after a block of training. On the other hand in the past he had some fatigue issues towards the end of a GT, mainly because he raced too much and too hard during his approach to a GT. He and the team will try a different approach this time, to keep the freshness and be competitive also after the Tour, as the Olympics are a big goal for Primož, too.

I don't necessarily like their plan, but I understand why they are doing this. I'd like to see him competing at least in the TT National Championships against Pogačar, though. But probably it won't happen. Maybe he wants to keep under the radar his Roglstomp 3.0 TT edition until stage 5 of the Tour, who knows;)

Maybe he wants to keep under the radar his Roglstomp 3.0 TT edition until stage 5 of the Tour, who knows;)
Yes yes yes :) That’s what I’m expecting as well. Each season Roglic reveals some big improvement. 2017 it was: “not only can I win TT but Galibier as well”. 2018 it was: “look at me - the GC contender”. 2019 it was: “steep, long and high altitude climbs suit me just fine”. Last year it was Roglstomp - revealed in the national championship….

This year, I fully expect him to win at least the first TT. If he manages to add this improvement without sacrificing other qualities, it should be a very interesting tour…

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
It's nothing new for him. In 2019 he had only one race day (NC RR) between the end of the Giro (June 2nd) and the start of the Vuelta (August 24th). That's almost 3 months. And there's a reason for that decision. After the Giro he was physically and mentally completely drained. He needed a long rest from competition and it ended being a good decision as he won that Vuelta later in the year.

This season there's a different reason, with a look towards the future. He usually has no problems getting into racing rhythm after a block of training. On the other hand in the past he had some fatigue issues towards the end of a GT, mainly because he raced too much and too hard during his approach to a GT. He and the team will try a different approach this time, to keep the freshness and be competitive also after the Tour, as the Olympics are a big goal for Primož, too.

I don't necessarily like their plan, but I understand why they are doing this. I'd like to see him competing at least in the TT National Championships against Pogačar, though. But probably it won't happen. Maybe he wants to keep under the radar his Roglstomp 3.0 TT edition until stage 5 of the Tour, who knows;)

Roglic and Pogacar won't take more than a handful of seconds out of each other across the ITTs, they will cancel each other out and then it will be decided in the mountains.

Yes yes yes :) That’s what I’m expecting as well. Each season Roglic reveals some big improvement. 2017 it was: “not only can I win TT but Galibier as well”. 2018 it was: “look at me - the GC contender”. 2019 it was: “steep, long and high altitude climbs suit me just fine”. Last year it was Roglstomp - revealed in the national championship….
Hopefully this years improvement is 'look, I've learned how to wear a helmet'.

This is great approach, Primož will win this year's Tour. He is just going to the race like Lance did back in the days. Racing until April, and then just train and rest. No injuries and pressure and other ***. Just you, your legs and preparation. Primož will be punching everyone. Who cares about that *** race, Dauphine. Eh

Did Armstrong not always do Dauphine too?

it seems jumbo is keen to avoid any showdowns between rog and pog in slovenia, because it would be strange for roglic not to even ride nationals
I think it makes perfect sense. There are two possible outcomes: he could either lose against Pogacar which would set him back psychologically or he could win while showing his cards. Usually together with Roglic winning national championship would come a psychological setback for Pogacar but I think Tadej is very specific in terms than he doesn’t actually have a psyche which could be set back since he is in fact a robot :)

On a more serious note, I think this preparation should work for Roglic. He was always great from the beginning of competition period and this years tour starts fairly easily - it might be better coming in undercooked a bit. I think it has nothing to do with the Olymics and everything to do with TDF.

I think it makes perfect sense. There are two possible outcomes: he could either lose against Pogacar which would set him back psychologically or he could win while showing his cards. Usually together with Roglic winning national championship would come a psychological setback for Pogacar but I think Tadej is very specific in terms than he doesn’t actually have a psyche which could be set back since he is in fact a robot :)

On a more serious note, I think this preparation should work for Roglic. He was always great from the beginning of competition period and this years tour starts fairly easily - it might be better coming in undercooked a bit. I think it has nothing to do with the Olymics and everything to do with TDF.

National road race this year is basically flat (one small hill on the circuit). It is made for the sprinters. And I don't think disturbing your preparation at altitude is worth it just to do a TT. He can easily simulate it anywhere.

He has shown that he is usually flying right off the gun when coming straight of altitute camp. Romandie 2019, Vuelta 2019, Tour de l'Ain 2020 and Paris Nice this year were all directly after an altitude camp. And form seemed preety good in all of those cases.

Training camp in Tignes with his son

E3L3Tc_WQAEQW5L

I say yes.

He'll be a perfect mix of time trial ability, mountain sprint & tactical awareness (born out of experience). Add the fact his team will be devoted to him entirely & I believe this is his year.

If he is to beat Pogi he probably won't do it in mano a mano in the mountains. He should try to gain time in different circumstances: maybe use some teams dynamics (attacks by Ineos & Jumbo) forcing Pogacar to do more work and isolating him, maybe attacking on a descent. Two flat TTs can give Rogla some advantage over Pog which may be crucial in this Tour (but it's not certain esp. the one at the end of the race). Of course he will have to match Pog's attacks in the mountains (this is a difficult part but if he and JV are in great form it's doable). That being said we don't know exactly what form Rog and Pog will bring to the Tour. If Pog is weaker than last year it will be easier for Rog but what if he's stronger? (well that would be scary for anyone but we are talking about a guy who still 22 yo)

Last edited:
If he is to beat Pogi he probably won't do it in mano a mano in the mountains. He should try to gain time in different circumstances: maybe use some teams dynamics (attacks by Ineos & Jumbo) forcing Pogacar to do more work and isolating him, maybe attacking on a descent. Two flat TTs can give Rogla some advantage over Pog which may be crucial in this Tour (but it's not certain esp. the one at the end of the race). Of course he will have to match Pog's attacks in the mountains (this is a difficult part but if he and JV are in great form it's doable). That being said we don't know exactly what form Rog and Pog will bring to the Tour. If Pog is weaker than last year it will be easier for Rog but what if he's stronger? (well that would be scary for anyone but we are talking about a guy who still 22 yo)
If their relative performance remains as it was last year, Roglic should prevail. I'm sure he would have prevailed last year already had he known beforehand he needs 2 minutes for TT. Roglic missed quite a few opportunities to put time into Pogacar while Pogacar missed none. It was until Grand Colombier that Roglic did not consider Pogacar a real threat (as it was evident in the TJV documentary where Roglic was explaining Pogacar what's the best approach to tackling Colombier). This year it will be just the opposite - Roglic considers Pogacar his one and only threat now. So I think with the help of his stronger team, Roglic should have Pogacar covered. I'm more concerned about what he might miss while fixating on Pogacar (Yes Carapaz, I'm looking at you).

If their relative performance remains as it was last year, Roglic should prevail. I'm sure he would have prevailed last year already had he known beforehand he needs 2 minutes for TT. Roglic missed quite a few opportunities to put time into Pogacar while Pogacar missed none. It was until Grand Colombier that Roglic did not consider Pogacar a real threat (as it was evident in the TJV documentary where Roglic was explaining Pogacar what's the best approach to tackling Colombier). This year it will be just the opposite - Roglic considers Pogacar his one and only threat now. So I think with the help of his stronger team, Roglic should have Pogacar covered. I'm more concerned about what he might miss while fixating on Pogacar (Yes Carapaz, I'm looking at you).

Roglic got over a minute in crosswinds on Pogacar due to a crash, I highly doubt even if he considered Pogacar his biggest threat he would have been able to get the time that Pogacar would take in the ITT.

Roglic got over a minute in crosswinds on Pogacar due to a crash, I highly doubt even if he considered Pogacar his biggest threat he would have been able to get the time that Pogacar would take in the ITT.
That's true but you have to look at the big picture... Would Roglic have let Pogacar go on the Peyresourde had he not lost time in the echelons? Ok maybe he couldn't follow - it's a possibility - but still, I don't remember Pogacar ever dropping Roglic when Roglic was racing against him. There were quite a few opposite occasions.

TRENDING THREADS