• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Grands Prix Cyclistes de Canada (Québec & Montréal) - 1.WT2

Ooo Canada, GP Cyclistes' home and native land. True bicycle love, in all thy CN Forum readers command.

logo-grand-prix-cycliste-uci-world-tour.png

10th Grand Prix Cycliste de Québec: Québec-Québec (201,6 km) on Friday Sept 13th
10th Grand Prix Cycliste de Montréal: Montréal-Montréal (219,6 km) on Sunday Sept 15th

QUEBEC-CIRCUIT.png

GPC_parcours19_MTL_EN_V05-1030x796.jpg

The laps in Québec have always been the (slightly) easier of the two Canadian races. Compared to the circuit in Montréal it might have the more demanding final, but overall clearly less climbing with 3000 against 4750 altitude metres. Montréal is also noticeably longer with 219,6 kilometers, while Québec ends at 201,6 kilometres. Apparently it's the longest edition of the Sunday race ever (both being usually around 200), while last year's appears to be the shortest.

Watch out for attacks on the Côte de la Montagne (3,3 km to go) on Friday or the Camilien-Houde and the Polytechnique on Sunday. Both the Grande Allée and the Avenue du Parc have proven to be exciting finishes for a late solo or an uphill bunch sprint.

Last year

Cr%C3%A9dit-@P%C3%89T%C3%89-PHOTOGRAPHIE-3-foto-V%C3%A9ronique-Lavoie.jpg

In 2018, Canada got conquerred by Michael Matthews. A hungry 'Bling' won, in the absence of Peter Sagan, both Québec and Montréal with Greg Van Avermaet (almost as usual) twice on the podium. The pair of them will be favourites this weekend again.

1 Matthews Michael 5:04:17
2 Van Avermaet Greg
3 Stuyven Jasper
4 Roosen Timo
5 Konrad Patrick

1 Matthews Michael 5:19:27
2 Colbrelli Sonny
3 Van Avermaet Greg
4 Naesen Oliver
5 Roosen Timo

Favourites & competitors

So, we mentioned Bling and GVA already. The Australian defends his titles and is tailor-made for these races, with the ability to survive the climbs well and having one of the fastest kicks after such a route. Qualities we find in the Belgian as well, though he is more the allrounder and less the lethal sprinter. But he is always in the running: 1 victory, 7 podium finishes and 12 times in the top ten!

Two other obvious contenders are Peter Sagan and Julian Alaphilippe. The latter is this season's biggest star and he should be building up towards being top dog at the upcoming world championships. And, ... well ... Peter is Peter, always a danger and multiple winner in Canada already.

Other names you should highlight on the startlist are Canadian Woods, Colbrelli, Ulissi, Kwiatkowski, Costa, Mohoric, Bettiol, Asgreen, Impey, Valgren and the following Belgians: Naesen, Vanmarcke, Wellens, Stuyven, ... and this young kid named Remco Evenepoel.

Click for the startlist of Québec and Montréal.

Julian Alaphilippe & Peter Sagan
Michael Matthews, Greg Van Avermaet & Tim Wellens
Sonny Colbrelli, Remco Evenepoel, Oliver Naesen & Diego Ulissi

Extra

Estimated finish time: 16.15 (CEST 21.15)
Weather conditions: just under 20° Celsius with sunny spells and less than 20 % chance of rain

(same for both races)

Last edited:
I've attending GPC Montréal for the last 4 years. Once (2016 I guess) the weather played havoc with the race (and the TV). For 2 out of the other 3 editions, the race was a 40 rider sprint, and rather boring.
The organizers have tried to slightly modify the circuit but fail to make it more challenging. This year the extra 20 Km are there to test the riders
I keep bitching as last year:
  • Adding one Km before Polytechnique, give time for the teams to organize and chase. Better go south on Cote de Neiges until The Boulevard, or Cedar and then U turn.
  • The last years addition (Claude Champagne, which isn't 800m@4% but rather 400m@2.5%) is useless for a WT race. Courcelette or Pagnuelo might be a better choice (slightly harder and 600m closer to finish)

If I were to redesign, I would give just a couple of laps including Westmount (Mt Pleasant- Belvedère), at least to soften the legs of domestiques and weak sprinters.

:disrelieved:Not even a single like or reaction for my topic efforts

Anyway: excited to see the outcome tonight. Love to watch cycling in the evening.
I'll give you a like. :)

Apparently they've been around for some years, but I've never heard of these two Canadian races before. They have such an awesome lineup I simply must watch! (I'll hopefully be able to watch one way or another, TIZ seems to be working ok so far.)

I used to think of these as tough races and a nice addition to someone's palmeres, but they seem somehow less now? Is it the courses that have changed or the riders (or just me :rolleyes:)? Would still love to go watch them someday, since they are at least on the same continent I am.

I used to think of these as tough races and a nice addition to someone's palmeres, but they seem somehow less now? Is the courses that have changed or the riders (or just me :rolleyes:)? Would still love to go watch them someday, since they are at least on the same continent I am.
They were fun until everyone realised they were glorified reduced sprint races 90% of the time.

TRENDING THREADS