• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Gravel bike section

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I'm in for Alexi Vermeulen for Unbound. Man had a pretty good weekend at the US Road Nats.

Edit: Aaaaaand, I just saw he is skipping to try to qualify for the Olympics.
The article I read makes it clear he is skipping Unbound to attend his brother's wedding. This gave him more time to prepare for USA TT nats, but he finished 7th there so he will not be going to Paris.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChewbaccaDefense
I remember the Gravel WC thread, and posts about how if a top level Pro Tour rider comes here, they'll easily win Unbound (I am a huge fan of Mohoric, and actually thought he'd win)...how'd that work out? I'm elated for Morton. He now lives about 20 miles from me, and trains on the same roads and routes (he just puts them all together in one ride). US gravel is another type of monster. Maybe send more Pro Tour riders next year, the flint hills needs to be fed.

I remember the Gravel WC thread, and posts about how if a top level Pro Tour rider comes here, they'll easily win Unbound (I am a huge fan of Mohoric, and actually thought he'd win)...how'd that work out? I'm elated for Morton. He now lives about 20 miles from me, and trains on the same roads and routes (he just puts them all together in one ride). US gravel is another type of monster. Maybe send more Pro Tour riders next year, the flint hills needs to be fed.
I wish him the absolute best. He gave some kids some Jelly Belly swag in front of me and half dozen other people. I have been a fan since!!
The sport has taken many steps up and so have the racers. Early to say, but maybe finally an American classic and American monument..

First few minutes are a good interview from a guy I like more and more
View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vWJ3XnrdvQc&pp=ygULYmVuIGRlbGFuZXk%3D

I wish him the absolute best. He gave some kids some Jelly Belly swag in front of me and half dozen other people. I have been a fan since!!
The sport has taken many steps up and so have the racers. Early to say, but maybe finally an American classic and American monument..

First few minutes are a good interview from a guy I like more and more
View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vWJ3XnrdvQc&pp=ygULYmVuIGRlbGFuZXk%3D
Mohoric is such a class rider. Again, it's clear that he just loves to ride his bike.

Reactions: jmdirt
Yeah, watched it and was glad to get the recap, but with that much in production going on, I feel like a live broadcast should happen.
I don't disagree, but I've known Kimo Seymour for a number of years and have spoken with him many times about expanded live coverage of the Lifetime series. I don't want to speak publicly for him, but the reasoning he has laid out for it not happening "yet", are legitimate and not necessarily tied to $$$$.

• Haha
Reactions: jmdirt and kingjr
So, this happened...

Yeah...they wouldn't have drawn any attention if they were in CA, so don't judge all of us. There are still some places in the US where being gay in public might get you beaten up or killed.

I will note that this year, the anti-European attitude was in full display online. I engaged in a bit, in that I was happy a WT pro didn't come here and take an easy victory (which I feared might happen, with Mohoric attending...even though I love Mohoric), but evidently, it was a bit more virulent than that, and I regret that some people are that xenophobic. My pleasure was in the course defying some European fans insistence that WT riders would come destroy the field. I have submitted in the past that US gravel races are not like what I have seen as far as gravel races in Europe. Mohoric confirmed this as well. It's a different ballgame, as they say here, and the guys making a living off of doing it here, deserve more respect than they receive from some cycling fans in Europe.

None of that justifies xenophobia.

Last edited:
Reactions: jmdirt
If you had @ed a mod at the time of the OP, or any time since, you probably could have had your section some time ago. I happened to stumble upon it a couple of days ago, mentioned it to the Admins, and Hey Presto!

Is it worth my while going through this thread and extracting elements of the discussion into separate threads? Some guidance would be nice (ideally with dates of the posts) and an indication of what the events were (other than the World's, I've never knowingly watched a gravel race, so names etc that might be obvious to you will not be to me). Equally if there are threads that were put in PRR or alsewhere for lack of a home, point me at them.

Enjoy your space: I'm not likely to spend a lot of time here, so if there are problems report them: don't expect me to stumble across them. But better still, don't create issues.

Happy scrabbling around in the dust.

Yeah...they wouldn't have drawn any attention if they were in CA, so don't judge all of us.
I heard a bit about this from someone that is definitely close to these two. Yes, some extremely nutty individual was offended that they were sitting in a restaurant and watched people get naked in the parking lot and freaked out, but when approached by the police in the restaurant, they (the riders) pretended they didn't speak English. Pissed the cops off. Not a smart move.