• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Greatest Ronde van Vlaanderen in the last Decade?

Greatest Ronde van Vlaanderen in the last Decade?

• 2013 (Winner: Cancellara)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Been a while since i made a thread lol. Inspired by hitch's latest thread about best year in the latest decade and the fact that i rewatched the RVV from the last few years.

So what's the best RVV in the last 10 years?

The question mark shouldn't be necessary since it's obvious nonetheless it's really enjoyable to just talk about that RVV of 2011. Prob the best classic i've ever watched live, i'm only 22 but still what a great race.

I miss the Muur :(

Let's hope the RVV 2014 will be better than those 2 latest editions...

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
2011 was by far the most entertaining and i am watching for more than 20 years. Icing on the cake was Bjarnes reaction in the teamcar when Nick won :D

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
That's why I don't understand part of the criticism on the new course.

Not really related, but since we're in memory lane anyway, and it only just predates this decade: remember the epic 2001 failure? (both in the peloton with all the favorites not being able to catch the early attack, and in Dekker's sprint).

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
But back on topic:
I really enjoyed 2010. Only direct confrontation Boonen vs Cancellara ever.
Both Devolder's wins were really nice. I think I prefer his second one though
I was chearing so much for Hose in 2007, it still hurts to see that sprint again
All of Boonen's wins were great.

I think my two favorite edititions did not make the list though: 2002 (Tafi) and 2003 (Van Petegem). Not sure if they were indeed that great, or if being a 14 year old everything is just more fun, but I still remember those more vivid as any edition in the poll.

1. 2011 (very, very entertaining and the way Cancellara took the last part of Haaghoek + Leberg (after Boonen pushed on Haaghoek) was breath taking)
2. 1995 (same, last hour was like one big finale between favorites. Organisers should watch, the Zottegem-Brakel part, without too many big hills, was were all attacks were placed)
3. 2008 (Devolder pulling for hours and pulling it off)
4. 1985 (epic race with epic weather)
5. 2005 (first for Boonen, a thrill to watch!)

found this:
http://www.sporza.be/cm/sporza/videozone/retro/retro_voorjaarsklassiekers/retro_rvv

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Devolder's back to back victories stand out in my view.
Especially the first. He's shown how a hardworking domestique, if he's able to create a chance, should exploit the opportunity. Also, it was a genuine Flemish scenography that year.
But every edition was impressive in its own manner.
There's only few unused plots in the past decade.

I would say when I am old and senile, the last cycling moment I will forget will be the Swiss champion versus the Belgian champion on the Muur.

For that reason, I go for 2010.

2008 and 2011 were entertaining races. Last year was muck.

2011 was legendary. Tommeke going on Leberg, but Cancellara instantly putting on an extra gear, flying away from everyone. And on the Muur, when the gap suddenly started going down from something like 40" to 15" in half a minute, I was like 'WTF, this can't be true' and then the moment Cancellara and the peloton caught in the same shot. I couldn't believe it :eek:

The camera's in the team cars also made that edition one to remember for a long time. Of course Bjarne's reaction when Nuyens won. Wilfried Peeters about Cancellara when the Leopard DS (Nygaard?) asked him to let Chavanel take some pulls: "he's just too strong". Or Sergeant to Gilbert after Bosberg: "the time trial of your life!".

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Jspear said:
Yep, I second that. The motor controversy was pretty funny. I believe one of his comments was "It's so stupid I'm speechless."

remarkable:D
it even appeared in first pages of tabloids around europe.no comment:eek::D

My all-time personal favorite (2002) isn't included (for obvious reasons) so I will go with 2011. A great race, it had everything from Chavanel's attack 80kms out to his superb effort to hang on to Cancellara in the last 40kms to BMC's team time trial leading into the Muur to the favorites bridging out to the leading duo of nowhere on the Muur to Gilbert's fine effort on the Bosberg to the cat and mouse game in the last kilometers to Cancellara somehow finding the energy for one final dig. Even when the race seemed set to be a straightforward sprint between Cancellara, Chavanel and Nuyens there was one last twist with Flecha's desperate attempt to come back with 1km to go which helped Boonen come within touching distance of the trio. In turn this forced Cancellara to open up the sprint from too far out producing a surprise winner. The only problem someone could find with the race is the winner, as Cancellara and Chavanel would both have made worthy winner but Nuyens taking it is in a way oddly fitting. Indeed that such a tactical race was won by the smartest/luckiest (in the sense that the only attack he followed all the day was the winning move) rider of the day is no coincidence.

2010 is a great edition too. However, once Boonen and Cancellara got away, it was always going to come down to the ascent of the Muur. These two are in a league of their own when it comes to cobbles classics so you knew nobody was going to bridge up to them and Cancellara's only shot at dropping Boonen in a one on one in the final kilometers was the Muur. Even though the Swiss delivered in emphatic style, that race simply doesn't have nearly as many highlights as the action-packed two-hour finale of 2011. The Swiss national champion dropping the Belgian national champion on the Muur will remain an iconic picture of the Ronde for years to come, much more so than Nuyens winning sprint or any particular moment of the 2011 race for that matter, 2011 was more enjoyable to watch as a whole and it isn't even close in my book.

All races on the lists have some redeeming qualities except 2012 and 2013. I am glad that, that awful course is gone. What an embarassement it was for (one of) the most entertaining one day races in the world :eek:

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
I feel people are overrating 2011 a bit. Ofcourse it was a brilliant race from Geraardsbergen on, but the hour before was a real borefest and most of the teams had already practically given up

Roderick said:
I feel people are overrating 2011 a bit. Ofcourse it was a brilliant race from Geraardsbergen on, but the hour before was a real borefest and most of the teams had already practically given up

Well the forum had certainly given up. Everyone was already looking to Paris roubaix.

Moondance said:
GAME OVER!

Better luck next year peloton.

rghysens said:
cancellara gone...
for victory

Cobblestones said:
Wow that was exciting.

Bala Verde said:
and the race is over..

Ferminal said:
Was going to post the same words... If they don't catch him in 2km it is.

TeamSkyFans said:
Is that it then. All over?

beer_thirty said:
Game, set, and match folks.

zapata said:
this is ridiculous.

Ildabaoth said:
Great... and Paris-Roubaix will be so interesting too...

Fourier said:
the race for 2nd is now on!

Jamsque said:
Well, no-one is going to chase him down, so the only way Canc doesn't win now is if Chav can hold his wheel. I don't see that happening.

Teddler said:
Race over, why does Cancellara have to make the best races of the year boring, can't he just toy with them till 10kms to go and keep it interesting?

palmerq said:
the race for 2nd will be pretty good at least :S

Cobblestones said:
They're not even chasing.

nvpacchi said:
see you Monday guyz

Animal said:
Yes, race over.

Thoughtforfood said:
It doesn't matter. Canc will not be caught.

Granville57 said:
This is stupid...:(

Sparta said:
so dissapointing

hoolaparara said:
Yip, nobody in Australia has to worry about lack of sleep anymore.

Fourier said:
2nd = Boonen
3rd= EBH

Animal said:
Only if they can ride faster than him.

Which they can't.

Apart from two wise cycling fans that is ;):p

roundabout said:
The Hitch said:
This aint over.

The group WILL work together.

+1. I don't trust the timing, but the gap hasn't really gone out (yet).