• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

[Green Edge] Shayne Bannan, Gerry Ryan and an Aussie Pro Team for 2012?

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
ingsve said:
Well, at least they show they can think rationally and not have their head in the clouds. You only need to look at the results from this year to see that this was a no-brainer. Goss and Gerrans winning/podium in big classics (with Sutton and Hayman riding well) while Porte not showing any promise at all so far and the other aussies with possible GT potential are way to young.

I think what riders they eventually get will determine mostly on what teams will put up the most fight. I could imagine that for example Sky might be willing to let a few of their guys go since they are currently on the limit of allowed riders on the roster and they probably have a few more brits they would want to make room for as well as Henao. I think Gerrans, Hayman and Sutton might all be primary targets while Henderson might also be a secondary target. If I were Sky I would try to keep Hayman rather than the other ones. The thing that might keep Sutton at Sky is possibly the family connection.

Porte finished finished seventh in his first grand tour......last year's Giro. How is that not showing promise ? The guy gets written off before his career has barely started !

ingsve said:
Well, at least they show they can think rationally and not have their head in the clouds. You only need to look at the results from this year to see that this was a no-brainer. Goss and Gerrans winning/podium in big classics (with Sutton and Hayman riding well) while Porte not showing any promise at all so far and the other aussies with possible GT potential are way to young.

I think what riders they eventually get will determine mostly on what teams will put up the most fight. I could imagine that for example Sky might be willing to let a few of their guys go since they are currently on the limit of allowed riders on the roster and they probably have a few more brits they would want to make room for as well as Henao. I think Gerrans, Hayman and Sutton might all be primary targets while Henderson might also be a secondary target. If I were Sky I would try to keep Hayman rather than the other ones. The thing that might keep Sutton at Sky is possibly the family connection.

Hayman yes, and Gerrans too for me. He's a proven stage winner.

May 25, 2010
Visit site
movingtarget said:
Porte finished finished seventh in his first grand tour......last year's Giro. How is that not showing promise ? The guy gets written off before his career has barely started !

Delivering on his potential (from that Giro) I think is what ingsve is trying to get at.

Well riding in support of Contador won't provide many opportunities but I think Porte can do okay in the TDF. Top 15 or 20 maybe. I think his best years are to come. Kreuziger has been a work in progress for quite a while now and still has age on his side. But as we have seen before, riders that get good results early in their careers sometimes don't kick on to the next level or even match their earlier results. Too early to tell for Porte.

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Ferminal said:
Nice to see Will Walker get a role with the team.

(saw it from their twitter, not sure if/where it's been reported)

Any relation to jonnie - he ended up at flying V I think?

Ps any results for Jonnie Walker this year ?

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Iirc he's Johnny's older brother who was even a bigger talent than he but had to stop cycling for medical reasons.

EDIT: yes is him, heart condition. can't find the article on the SBS sight.

Might mean Johnnie comes over from FlyV now.

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Who said it was a day of rest?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/greenedge-shopping-for-riders-on-tour-de-france-rest-day

beep! beep!

x2_7399177

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
Jerry Jayco has the money and the passion to make it happen, also the money to hire the best managers and riders.

Australia hasnt had a Cycling patron since the late Sir Bruce Small (Malvern Star, once the best bike in the world before it became known as kids brand) who funded Oppy and other riders who raced in Le Tour in the 20s and 30s and all over the world.

We should all throw ourselves at the feet (wheels?) of the next Jayco Caravan we see, its funding out new team!

Gerry would have already forked out several hundred thousand dollars getting this beast off the ground.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
mickkk said:
Jerry Jayco has the money and the passion to make it happen, also the money to hire the best managers and riders.

Australia hasnt had a Cycling patron since the late Sir Bruce Small (Malvern Star, once the best bike in the world before it became known as kids brand) who funded Oppy and other riders who raced in Le Tour in the 20s and 30s and all over the world.

We should all throw ourselves at the feet (wheels?) of the next Jayco Caravan we see, its funding out new team!

Gerry would have already forked out several hundred thousand dollars getting this beast off the ground.

Apparently Jayco was founded by a Mr Bontrager. Tenuous link in there..;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jayco,_Inc

May 25, 2010
Visit site
gerrans for the win said:
only real one who would be upto the level is jonathan cantwell, but think greenedge has enough of those kinda riders in the team already

Johnny Walker? Rode the Vuelta last year. Bernie Sulzberger is alright. Aaron Kemps. Michael Frieburg is a gun from the track like Meyer and Bobridge, he's an absolute talent.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
mickkk said:
Maybe he liked the name?

"the company was founded in 1976 by Gerry Ryan...and continues to be a family business to this day".

Not that I'm really that bothered...but I will correct you on that;;)

Jayco is based in Middlebury, Indiana. The company was founded in 1967 by Lloyd Jay Bontrager, at the suggestion of his wife, Bertha. The company name is derived from his middle name..."J". The Jayco Company was founded on the premise that "We treat our customers like family".

In 1975, Jayco Australia Ltd was founded by Gerry Ryan

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Andy99 said:
HA! So, they've had to resort to stickering up a bus in an effort to convince riders that the team is 'for real' this time..:)

They have 60-70% of their riders and I don't think it is fair that GreenEdge are getting stuck with the reputation that Pegasus has because of their failures. Completely different, better and more reliable organisation. I have no doubt in my mind they will get the job done.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
They have 60-70% of their riders and I don't think it is fair that GreenEdge are getting stuck with the reputation that Pegasus has because of their failures. Completely different, better and more reliable organisation. I have no doubt in my mind they will get the job done.

Yeah, I know that ;) and I wish them well.

Though all the hype around Pegasus did set an unfortunate precedence and its hard to resist a little tease ;)

No doubt it was in the back of their mind to. Otherwise would they really need to ponce around in a coach?

TRENDING THREADS