• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

[Green Edge] Shayne Bannan, Gerry Ryan and an Aussie Pro Team for 2012?

Page 100 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

42x16ss said:
swuzzlebubble said:
Very interesting, I guess it worked for Porte this year. Could this mean Chaves is going for an Ardennes/TDF two peak season?

He could still race the Sun Tour and have a Giro program but I can certainly see the logic in what you've suggested

42x16ss said:
swuzzlebubble said:
Very interesting, I guess it worked for Porte this year. Could this mean Chaves is going for an Ardennes/TDF two peak season?

That piece has been "on the record" for some time but post Vuelta, Chaves (and team bosses) were "walking back" the talk of him definitely riding the 2017 Tour suggesting that it will be dependant on the route and that he may stick with the Giro/Vuelta double. Hey, he's the team's prime asset and they're sufficiently professional to NOT risk mucking up his season by demanding he do unnecessary races early season just for publicity in their home market.

StryderHells said:
I wouldn't say that Durbridge is leaving just because he's not currently down to start any more races this season, he's had 66 race days and 11,000 k's raced this season which started in the Australian summer, raced the cobbled classics and completed the Tour plus some races after that. It's been a big season already

Very fair comment, it has NOT been the case that he has "shunted off to the minor leagues" post Tour. He's raced San Sebastian, Frankfurt & the 2 Laurentian races (all WT level) and he certainly did have a heavy early season. Yes, I see the case for sending him to Eneco but neither was it a case that he had to be selected.

As to his retention, my view hasn't really changed. There are very sound reasons for OBE retaining him/him staying but neither is it imperative that OBE do so. It may well be that he receive higher "seeding" at another team or at least be promised such. What may actually eventuate .... none of us can know for certain until something is actually said by either party.

I'd be surprised if Chavez rides the TDU as it's a high intensity race, while many GC guys do the the more relaxed Tour of St Louis - Cadel Evans Road Race and the Herald Sun tour are more likely targets ?

Still no news on Impey ?

Matthews and OBE are on good terms - Offered more money at Giant which OBE chose not to match - OBE knew in May that Matthews was leaving and life went on as normal - Can say that OBE have given Matthews plenty of opportunities in 2016 - Anyway think Matthews can still get stronger in the next two or three years.

Interesting that OBE is riding some of the Italian one day races before Lombardia - They are having a serious crack in 2016.

Re:

yaco said:
I'd be surprised if Chavez rides the TDU as it's a high intensity race, while many GC guys do the the more relaxed Tour of St Louis - Cadel Evans Road Race and the Herald Sun tour are more likely targets ?

Still no news on Impey ?

Matthews and OBE are on good terms - Offered more money at Giant which OBE chose not to match - OBE knew in May that Matthews was leaving and life went on as normal - Can say that OBE have given Matthews plenty of opportunities in 2016 - Anyway think Matthews can still get stronger in the next two or three years.

Interesting that OBE is riding some of the Italian one day races before Lombardia - They are having a serious crack in 2016.

But again, why have him racing at all at that time of year if its not in tune with his race schedule ??

Re Impey, no news so far. He WAS incredibly impressive during the Tour which no doubt should have added some extra $$ to his price and I really don't think OBE would be wanting to let him go unless he clearly wants extra $$$ that some other team are throwing at him.

He has been very much at home at OBE so it would probably need something major for him to leave. The most recent hint I have is his reply to Sam Bewley after St14 where Sam Tweeted "Sometimes this team does some really cool ***" which he responded "sometimes ?". Doesn't seem the response of someone who's P'd off with his current team.

Re:

yaco said:

Still no news on Impey ?

If Chaves rides in the Australian summer then it won't be at the TDU that's for sure, it would be the Sun Tour as its a relaxed 4 day+prolouge stage race that would be of little risk to him when comparing it to the TDU. I still think it's a big IF but I'd enjoy seeing him down here especially if they have a Yarra Valley stage again next year as they rode on climbs and roads I spend time riding on regularly :)

I can't see Impey leaving OBE, he deserves more $$$ so I'm guessing that's why we haven't heard anything yet but from all accounts both him and the team look a perfect mix.

StryderHells said:
yaco said:

Still no news on Impey ?

If Chaves rides in the Australian summer then it won't be at the TDU that's for sure, it would be the Sun Tour as its a relaxed 4 day+prolouge stage race that would be of little risk to him when comparing it to the TDU. I still think it's a big IF but I'd enjoy seeing him down here especially if they have a Yarra Valley stage again next year as they rode on climbs and roads I spend time riding on regularly :)

I can't see Impey leaving OBE, he deserves more $$$ so I'm guessing that's why we haven't heard anything yet but from all accounts both him and the team look a perfect mix.
Does Chaves have a partner/family beyond his parents/siblings? If not, then Orica may just bring him over to sign some autographs, take some photos, ride in the team car and have a nice little holiday around some fans who've never gotten to see him in person.

Sagan did something similar a few years ago where he raced the Noosa crit and had some holiday time on the Sunshine Coast.

42x16ss said:
StryderHells said:
yaco said:

Still no news on Impey ?

Does Chaves have a partner/family beyond his parents/siblings? If not, then Orica may just bring him over to sign some autographs, take some photos, ride in the team car and have a nice little holiday around some fans who've never gotten to see him in person.

Sagan did something similar a few years ago where he raced the Noosa crit and had some holiday time on the Sunshine Coast.

That just could be it, it would make more sense than him racing down here

StryderHells said:
42x16ss said:
StryderHells said:
yaco said:

Still no news on Impey ?

Agree 100% with Stryder re Impey; I suspect it would take "an offer he couldn't refuse" for him not to re-sign. If this plays out as expected, I would also not be surprised if he follows on from the likes of Gerrans & Albasini and rides out his career at OBE.

Chaves DOES have a better half called Natalie. She has turned up to a couple of races and was also included in a BSP back in 2014 where she cooked up some Colombian delicacy.

Some valid points re the Chaves to AUS conundrum. TBH, the single reason for OBE to bring him out would be for PR & whilst bringing him during the "off-season" might tick a few corporate boxes, it will not tick the box called "public exposure".

The prime window for public exposure is categorically TdU which has the mass exposure that Herald Sun tour lacks. Cuddles Race (WT next year) will probably fit somewhere between. Much as I'd love to see the little fella turning a pedal out in a race out here, I'm battling to see a defensible case for him doing so if its not ideal for his season.

For the last 2 years, OBE has had a full team camp in South Africa during Feb. Maybe they can bring Chaves out for some PR during TDU before packing him off to RSA. Whilst not sure I'd send Chaves to Noosa; the Noosa multi-sport festival is a worth-while event and perhaps OBE could do worse than encourage some of their riders to turn up.

dirkprovin said:
StryderHells said:
42x16ss said:
StryderHells said:
yaco said:

Still no news on Impey ?

Agree 100% with Stryder re Impey; I suspect it would take "an offer he couldn't refuse" for him not to re-sign. If this plays out as expected, I would also not be surprised if he follows on from the likes of Gerrans & Albasini and rides out his career at OBE.

Chaves DOES have a better half called Natalie. She has turned up to a couple of races and was also included in a BSP back in 2014 where she cooked up some Colombian delicacy.

Some valid points re the Chaves to AUS conundrum. TBH, the single reason for OBE to bring him out would be for PR & whilst bringing him during the "off-season" might tick a few corporate boxes, it will not tick the box called "public exposure".

The prime window for public exposure is categorically TdU which has the mass exposure that Herald Sun tour lacks. Cuddles Race (WT next year) will probably fit somewhere between. Much as I'd love to see the little fella turning a pedal out in a race out here, I'm battling to see a defensible case for him doing so if its not ideal for his season.

For the last 2 years, OBE has had a full team camp in South Africa during Feb. Maybe they can bring Chaves out for some PR during TDU before packing him off to RSA. Whilst not sure I'd send Chaves to Noosa; the Noosa multi-sport festival is a worth-while event and perhaps OBE could do worse than encourage some of their riders to turn up.
I wouldn't send Chaves to Noosa, that was just an example of how Chaves could come over here, but based around the TDU in a non-riding capacity. Orica usually just sends Hepburn (a Brisbane boy) and one or two Neo Pros to Noosa. Last year it was Edmondson, this year it will probably be Schultz if he's signed as he's a Brisbane boy as well.

42x16ss said:
StryderHells said:
yaco said:
Durbridge is riding Duo Normand a duo TT race with Svein Tuft on Sunday - They won the race in 2012.

Had a feeling they would saddle up for this event again, looking at the startlist I can't see anyone beating them unless they are badly out of shape
Aren't they both doing World's TT? There's going to be a pretty big gap to second.

Ah yes they are! Well then they should destroy this field then

Managed to chat to Bewley for 20 seconds after the cyclothon in HK - His season is finished after 84 race days Was interesting to see the riders pack up their bikes after the race - The saving grace was their hotel, The Intercontinental Grand Stamford was all of 20 metres away.

42x16ss said:
I wouldn't send Chaves to Noosa, that was just an example of how Chaves could come over here, but based around the TDU in a non-riding capacity. Orica usually just sends Hepburn (a Brisbane boy) and one or two Neo Pros to Noosa. Last year it was Edmondson, this year it will probably be Schultz if he's signed as he's a Brisbane boy as well.

Nick Schultz has signed with Team Caja Rural-RGA (2 years)

claude cat said:
42x16ss said:

Nick Schultz has signed with Team Caja Rural-RGA (2 years)

Good move by Schultz. Ready for a step up to PCT level and Canada Rural has a race program that suits his characteristics.

Re: [Green Edge] Shayne Bannan, Gerry Ryan and an Aussie Pro

StryderHells said:
Finally Durbridge extends for 2 more seasons http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/durbridge-pens-two-year-extension-with-orica-bikeexchange/ hopefully he can build on his good form in the cobbled races from this season

A good retention. With the additional cobbled races on next year's WT, and Hayman a likely retirement at the end of 2017, he is likely to get more opportunities as leader/protected rider. It will be interesting to see what his race program will be for next year and whether he will be given the nod to pursue more ITT goals (be they national title and/or at stage races).

This only leaves Impey "unannounced". If we are to take his personal communications/Twitter as any guide, they strongly point to him staying as a rider who is leaving is far less likely to speak in terms of "our team". His rides at the Tour certainly indicated his versatility and immense ongoing value to the team as they continue their GC pivot.

Re:

Alexandre B. said:
Chaves will do the Giro, according to an interview with DeportesRCN.
(I didn't find anything on their site, but here's my source : http://www.cyclingpro.net/velopro/road/esteban-chaves-coche-le-giro-2017)

So the Yates will probably do the Tour and Chaves will race the Vuelta afterwards.

Don't be surprised if Kreuzeger is a priority at the TDF as the parcours suits his characteristics - Definitely one of the Yates will ride the TDF but no certainty both will - No big surprise that Chavez rides the Giro as he has a good record in Italy. Chavez will be very popular when he rides in Australia and of course it is good for OBE's brand.

TRENDING THREADS