[Green Edge] Shayne Bannan, Gerry Ryan and an Aussie Pro Team for 2012?

Page 104 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

RedheadDane said:
Did you see Chaves' reaction when Howson one stage 1 - and later the overall - in the Herald Sun Tour?

Now, why would Yates need to tell the team car that Impey won? Usually the people in the team car knows who won. Unless they're actually implementing the no "TV" screens in the cars rule.

The reaction from Chaves at the Herald Sun Tour did seem to be pure joy and it was very evident in that episode of BackStage Pass. Re. the Yates radio message it may have even been meant for the rest of the team, rather than the team car. I can only presume that the riders messages are heard by all and not just a one way transmission to the team car.....does anyone know if this is the case?

Hopefully the "big guns" can be so vigilant about each other at Flanders that Durbridge may get the chance to spoil their party. Not sure he can win De Panne but he should go very close and it will be interesting to see if the rock hard fit riders like Durbridge and Gilbert are in a better or worse position than those "resting" out of De Panne for Flanders.

Speaking of Back Stage Pass, there has been nothing since the Herald Sun Tour. Anyone know if this is a plan or maybe it is an availability problem with Dan Jones, or even a budgetary measure?
 
Flanders team

ORICA - SCOTT (ORS)
AUS
61 HAYMAN Mathew AUS
62 KEUKELEIRE Jens BEL
63 DURBRIDGE Luke AUS
64 DOCKER Mitch AUS
65 JUUL JENSEN Christopher DEN
66 HEPBURN Michael AUS
67 MEZGEC Luka SLO
68 NIELSEN Magnus Cort DEN
 
Re: Re:

blackcat said:
Wilba60 said:
One of the great things about Orica is that the whole team genuinely seem to enjoy sharing the spoils and supporting each other. Check out the very end of this vision of Impey winning in Catalunya. Adam Yates is about 20 riders back and you see him trying to peer over the 20-30 riders in front of him to see the result. Love the look on his face when he sees Impey raise the arm in victory and then straight on to the race radio....I presume to let the team car know.

Great to see Durbridge also getting some excellent results. Wonder what odds he is for PR.
need to slate this back to Matt White. He is the best manager/directeur in the peloton by a ways imo. It does help, that he had the reins, he gets to choose his team squad, so no rider agent will sell him a rider, he first selects his riders for personality and team fit, how they will get along with the anglophone corps, now, it is not really an australian team, it is White's cosmopolitan team. Few australians make the corps scaffolding, only simon gerrans has really stuck to the team ethics. and thrived along with the team.
Stephens is the genius DS, just look at last year's Vuelta. He's an excellent manager of personality as well and works brilliantly with the team as a unit.

White is best with the big picture and long term strategy. He's also a very capable DS though.
 
Re:

Wilba60 said:
Flanders team

ORICA - SCOTT (ORS)
AUS
61 HAYMAN Mathew AUS
62 KEUKELEIRE Jens BEL
63 DURBRIDGE Luke AUS
64 DOCKER Mitch AUS
65 JUUL JENSEN Christopher DEN
66 HEPBURN Michael AUS
67 MEZGEC Luka SLO
68 NIELSEN Magnus Cort DEN
That's a strong and in form squad. I'm not sure if Ronde is the race for them but Roubaix could be the ticket again this season for that team, Durbridge, Keukleire, Hayman, Cort and even Mitch Docker have all been riding well this classics season.
 
Re: Re:

Wilba60 said:
RedheadDane said:
Did you see Chaves' reaction when Howson one stage 1 - and later the overall - in the Herald Sun Tour?

Now, why would Yates need to tell the team car that Impey won? Usually the people in the team car knows who won. Unless they're actually implementing the no "TV" screens in the cars rule.

The reaction from Chaves at the Herald Sun Tour did seem to be pure joy and it was very evident in that episode of BackStage Pass. Re. the Yates radio message it may have even been meant for the rest of the team, rather than the team car. I can only presume that the riders messages are heard by all and not just a one way transmission to the team car.....does anyone know if this is the case?

Hopefully the "big guns" can be so vigilant about each other at Flanders that Durbridge may get the chance to spoil their party. Not sure he can win De Panne but he should go very close and it will be interesting to see if the rock hard fit riders like Durbridge and Gilbert are in a better or worse position than those "resting" out of De Panne for Flanders.

Speaking of Back Stage Pass, there has been nothing since the Herald Sun Tour. Anyone know if this is a plan or maybe it is an availability problem with Dan Jones, or even a budgetary measure?
Part of a plan, apparently working on something big and should be back for the Giro (it's somewhere on the Orica-Scott Facebook page).
 
Re: Re:

StryderHells said:
Wilba60 said:
Flanders team

ORICA - SCOTT (ORS)
AUS
61 HAYMAN Mathew AUS
62 KEUKELEIRE Jens BEL
63 DURBRIDGE Luke AUS
64 DOCKER Mitch AUS
65 JUUL JENSEN Christopher DEN
66 HEPBURN Michael AUS
67 MEZGEC Luka SLO
68 NIELSEN Magnus Cort DEN
That's a strong and in form squad. I'm not sure if Ronde is the race for them but Roubaix could be the ticket again this season for that team, Durbridge, Keukleire, Hayman, Cort and even Mitch Docker have all been riding well this classics season.
Magnus Cort has not been very good, otoh Christopher Juul was seventh in Strade Bianche and should be the most suited in that team for RVV but I guess the crash yesterday could be a problem.
 
Re: Re:

StryderHells said:
Wilba60 said:
Flanders team

ORICA - SCOTT (ORS)
AUS
61 HAYMAN Mathew AUS
62 KEUKELEIRE Jens BEL
63 DURBRIDGE Luke AUS
64 DOCKER Mitch AUS
65 JUUL JENSEN Christopher DEN
66 HEPBURN Michael AUS
67 MEZGEC Luka SLO
68 NIELSEN Magnus Cort DEN
That's a strong and in form squad. I'm not sure if Ronde is the race for them but Roubaix could be the ticket again this season for that team, Durbridge, Keukleire, Hayman, Cort and even Mitch Docker have all been riding well this classics season.
Durbridge can top 10 at RVV, though agree the team is best suited to PR - Mezgec has been riding surprisingly well and he is the one Orica should put in the break - Do you see how well Edmondson skipped over the Muuy first time in stage one of De Panne - Now I understand why people have been talking up Edmondson for the hilly classics.

Chaves is riding Pais Vasco and my understanding is he will ride Fleche Wallone and LBL - Orica believes he can do well at Fleche.
 
Re: Re:

ciranda said:
StryderHells said:
Wilba60 said:
Flanders team

ORICA - SCOTT (ORS)
AUS
61 HAYMAN Mathew AUS
62 KEUKELEIRE Jens BEL
63 DURBRIDGE Luke AUS
64 DOCKER Mitch AUS
65 JUUL JENSEN Christopher DEN
66 HEPBURN Michael AUS
67 MEZGEC Luka SLO
68 NIELSEN Magnus Cort DEN
That's a strong and in form squad. I'm not sure if Ronde is the race for them but Roubaix could be the ticket again this season for that team, Durbridge, Keukleire, Hayman, Cort and even Mitch Docker have all been riding well this classics season.
Magnus Cort has not been very good, otoh Christopher Juul was seventh in Strade Bianche and should be the most suited in that team for RVV but I guess the crash yesterday could be a problem.
I am unsure that Cort has the characterstics for the hilly, cobbled classics - He can definitely feature at PR in the future as he skips well over the cobbles.
 
Re: Re:

yaco said:
ciranda said:
StryderHells said:
Wilba60 said:
Flanders team

ORICA - SCOTT (ORS)
AUS
61 HAYMAN Mathew AUS
62 KEUKELEIRE Jens BEL
63 DURBRIDGE Luke AUS
64 DOCKER Mitch AUS
65 JUUL JENSEN Christopher DEN
66 HEPBURN Michael AUS
67 MEZGEC Luka SLO
68 NIELSEN Magnus Cort DEN
That's a strong and in form squad. I'm not sure if Ronde is the race for them but Roubaix could be the ticket again this season for that team, Durbridge, Keukleire, Hayman, Cort and even Mitch Docker have all been riding well this classics season.
Magnus Cort has not been very good, otoh Christopher Juul was seventh in Strade Bianche and should be the most suited in that team for RVV but I guess the crash yesterday could be a problem.
I am unsure that Cort has the characterstics for the hilly, cobbled classics - He can definitely feature at PR in the future as he skips well over the cobbles.
I think he should be able to perform well in the classics with hellingen as well. Just think about his Strade Bianche in his first year. And in the queen stage of the Tour of Denmark he has shown tremendous progress as well and last year he was in the top five. Last year I even saw him ride on from a standstill in the middle of the Koppenberg, which is not something everyone can do.

But based on his performances thus far in the Flanders classics, not much suggests that he will be an important factor here, I'll give you that. I have been very disappointed with his season until now (except of course for his to victories in Spain) but hopefully he just needed one more season in the classics before he can be in the finales.
 
Re: Re:

ciranda said:
StryderHells said:
Wilba60 said:
Flanders team

ORICA - SCOTT (ORS)
AUS
61 HAYMAN Mathew AUS
62 KEUKELEIRE Jens BEL
63 DURBRIDGE Luke AUS
64 DOCKER Mitch AUS
65 JUUL JENSEN Christopher DEN
66 HEPBURN Michael AUS
67 MEZGEC Luka SLO
68 NIELSEN Magnus Cort DEN
That's a strong and in form squad. I'm not sure if Ronde is the race for them but Roubaix could be the ticket again this season for that team, Durbridge, Keukleire, Hayman, Cort and even Mitch Docker have all been riding well this classics season.
Magnus Cort has not been very good, otoh Christopher Juul was seventh in Strade Bianche and should be the most suited in that team for RVV but I guess the crash yesterday could be a problem.
I wasn't talking about Cort being a factor in the sense of competing in the finish, I was talking about him playing a valuable role as a teammate and in that sense I believe he has been riding well, that's why I also mentioned Mitch Docker.
 
Re: Re:

yaco said:
ciranda said:
StryderHells said:
Wilba60 said:
Flanders team

ORICA - SCOTT (ORS)
AUS
61 HAYMAN Mathew AUS
62 KEUKELEIRE Jens BEL
63 DURBRIDGE Luke AUS
64 DOCKER Mitch AUS
65 JUUL JENSEN Christopher DEN
66 HEPBURN Michael AUS
67 MEZGEC Luka SLO
68 NIELSEN Magnus Cort DEN
That's a strong and in form squad. I'm not sure if Ronde is the race for them but Roubaix could be the ticket again this season for that team, Durbridge, Keukleire, Hayman, Cort and even Mitch Docker have all been riding well this classics season.
Magnus Cort has not been very good, otoh Christopher Juul was seventh in Strade Bianche and should be the most suited in that team for RVV but I guess the crash yesterday could be a problem.
I am unsure that Cort has the characterstics for the hilly, cobbled classics - He can definitely feature at PR in the future as he skips well over the cobbles.
You don't need to be unsure about that, going uphill fast is his best quality, it's the doing sprint stages *** that is completely wrong.
 
Re:

RedheadDane said:
So... seems they haven't had the best of luck in de Panne.
Only started six, Juul-Jensen out during the stage after his crash, and apparently Keukeleire out too...
Actually seven were listed to start - Cort withdrew the day before, Juul-Jensen DNF in stage 1 and Keukeliere DNS in stage 2 - They can only hope Durbridge podiums in the ITT which he should.

Juul-Jensen replaced by Edmondson for RVV - Edmondson showed in stage 1 he can write on hilly, cobbled terrain - Surprised that Edmondson never rode the full classics season.
 
Re: Re:

yaco said:
RedheadDane said:
So... seems they haven't had the best of luck in de Panne.
Only started six, Juul-Jensen out during the stage after his crash, and apparently Keukeleire out too...
Actually seven were listed to start - Cort withdrew the day before, Juul-Jensen DNF in stage 1 and Keukeliere DNS in stage 2 - They can only hope Durbridge podiums in the ITT which he should.

Juul-Jensen replaced by Edmondson for RVV - Edmondson showed in stage 1 he can write on hilly, cobbled terrain - Surprised that Edmondson never rode the full classics season.
he turned pro in 2016, he´s learning, and it seems he does fast
 
Re: Re:

yaco said:
RedheadDane said:
So... seems they haven't had the best of luck in de Panne.
Only started six, Juul-Jensen out during the stage after his crash, and apparently Keukeleire out too...
Actually seven were listed to start - Cort withdrew the day before, Juul-Jensen DNF in stage 1 and Keukeliere DNS in stage 2 - They can only hope Durbridge podiums in the ITT which he should.

Juul-Jensen replaced by Edmondson for RVV - Edmondson showed in stage 1 he can write on hilly, cobbled terrain - Surprised that Edmondson never rode the full classics season.
Doesn't change the fact that they only started six and now they're four.

And why would Edmondson write on hilly, cobbled terrain? That would be a very weird thing to do. You mean ride? :p
 
Edmondson has been the revelation of this week - Coped well with the hills and climbs - To top it off finished 9 seconds behind Durbridge in the ITT - Excellent efforts for a second year rider who is in effect nearly a first year rider, seeing he spent half of 2016 riding track.
 
Re: Re:

greenedge said:
Wilba60 said:
RedheadDane said:
Did you see Chaves' reaction when Howson one stage 1 - and later the overall - in the Herald Sun Tour?

Now, why would Yates need to tell the team car that Impey won? Usually the people in the team car knows who won. Unless they're actually implementing the no "TV" screens in the cars rule.

The reaction from Chaves at the Herald Sun Tour did seem to be pure joy and it was very evident in that episode of BackStage Pass. Re. the Yates radio message it may have even been meant for the rest of the team, rather than the team car. I can only presume that the riders messages are heard by all and not just a one way transmission to the team car.....does anyone know if this is the case?

Hopefully the "big guns" can be so vigilant about each other at Flanders that Durbridge may get the chance to spoil their party. Not sure he can win De Panne but he should go very close and it will be interesting to see if the rock hard fit riders like Durbridge and Gilbert are in a better or worse position than those "resting" out of De Panne for Flanders.

Speaking of Back Stage Pass, there has been nothing since the Herald Sun Tour. Anyone know if this is a plan or maybe it is an availability problem with Dan Jones, or even a budgetary measure?
Part of a plan, apparently working on something big and should be back for the Giro (it's somewhere on the Orica-Scott Facebook page).
So any hints on what the big "plan" is? Maybe Dan Jones is ready for a Matt Hayman sequel at Paris-Roubaix where he is part of a small lead group that includes Luke Durbridge and Hayman leads him into the last km and Durbridge takes out the classic :) Good to see Durbridge get the win on the final stage of De Panne and Orica looks strong for Flanders with Durbo in form and hopefully the DNS of Keukeleire was to freshen him for Sunday rather than any illness or injury. The team set up according to the Orica website is;

Belgian Jens Keukeleire, who has been ORICA-SCOTT’s best placed finisher in four of the team’s five starts at the cobbled classic, enters the race with the confidence and motivation from a narrow second place at Gent-Wevelgem less than one week ago.

The 28-year-old is joined by Australian Luke Durbridge who has also this year stamped his authority as a classics rider thanks to fourth place finishes at Dwars Door Vlaanderen and E3 Harelbeke in the last two weeks.

“I think when you look at team we have, we started with guys with a lot of potential but not very much experience in these cobbled classics,” Lapage explained. “All they needed was the opportunity to get that experience and now what we are seeing is their growth year by year because of that.”

“Luke and Jens both deserve our protection but we are also seeing our other guys performing better. It shows where we are as a team and that everyone is willing to fight for each other.”

2016 Paris-Roubaix winner Mathew Hayman and experienced Classics rider Mitch Docker will join the duo to form a formidable leading four.

New Zealand’s Sam Bewley, young Dane Magnus Cort, Slovenian speedster Luka Mezgec and under-23 Flanders winner Australian Alexander Edmondson will complete the line up as crucial workers in a race where positioning and immediate assistance is crucial.
 
Re: Re:

yaco said:
RedheadDane said:
So... seems they haven't had the best of luck in de Panne.
Only started six, Juul-Jensen out during the stage after his crash, and apparently Keukeleire out too...
Actually seven were listed to start - Cort withdrew the day before, Juul-Jensen DNF in stage 1 and Keukeliere DNS in stage 2 - They can only hope Durbridge podiums in the ITT which he should.

Juul-Jensen replaced by Edmondson for RVV - Edmondson showed in stage 1 he can write on hilly, cobbled terrain - Surprised that Edmondson never rode the full classics season.
Edmondson did have a high placing at Junior RVV so there has always been an inkling that this may be fertile ground in future. However, he lost the majority of 2016 season due to track commitments and one suspects that rather than give him just a full cobbles immersion, rather they are looking at giving him a wider cross-section of racing experience for this year. The fact they we are already seeing a couple of brave showings indicate that barring the unforseen, they'll be extending the deal at the end of this season.
 
Re: Re:

dirkprovin said:
yaco said:
RedheadDane said:
So... seems they haven't had the best of luck in de Panne.
Only started six, Juul-Jensen out during the stage after his crash, and apparently Keukeleire out too...
Actually seven were listed to start - Cort withdrew the day before, Juul-Jensen DNF in stage 1 and Keukeliere DNS in stage 2 - They can only hope Durbridge podiums in the ITT which he should.

Juul-Jensen replaced by Edmondson for RVV - Edmondson showed in stage 1 he can write on hilly, cobbled terrain - Surprised that Edmondson never rode the full classics season.
Edmondson did have a high placing at Junior RVV so there has always been an inkling that this may be fertile ground in future. However, he lost the majority of 2016 season due to track commitments and one suspects that rather than give him just a full cobbles immersion, rather they are looking at giving him a wider cross-section of racing experience for this year. The fact they we are already seeing a couple of brave showings indicate that barring the unforseen, they'll be extending the deal at the end of this season.
Think Edmondson being re-signed is a given - Interesting to see how Orica approach the TDF ( their bogey race ) with Chaves' ongoing injury concerns - At least a month before Chavez can race again and there is little stage racing in May - As much as Chaves goes well off a limited preparation doubt he can only race Dauphine or Suisse and go into the TDF.
 
Re: Re:

yaco said:
dirkprovin said:
yaco said:
RedheadDane said:
So... seems they haven't had the best of luck in de Panne.
Only started six, Juul-Jensen out during the stage after his crash, and apparently Keukeleire out too...
Actually seven were listed to start - Cort withdrew the day before, Juul-Jensen DNF in stage 1 and Keukeliere DNS in stage 2 - They can only hope Durbridge podiums in the ITT which he should.

Juul-Jensen replaced by Edmondson for RVV - Edmondson showed in stage 1 he can write on hilly, cobbled terrain - Surprised that Edmondson never rode the full classics season.
Edmondson did have a high placing at Junior RVV so there has always been an inkling that this may be fertile ground in future. However, he lost the majority of 2016 season due to track commitments and one suspects that rather than give him just a full cobbles immersion, rather they are looking at giving him a wider cross-section of racing experience for this year. The fact they we are already seeing a couple of brave showings indicate that barring the unforseen, they'll be extending the deal at the end of this season.
Think Edmondson being re-signed is a given - Interesting to see how Orica approach the TDF ( their bogey race ) with Chaves' ongoing injury concerns - At least a month before Chavez can race again and there is little stage racing in May - As much as Chaves goes well off a limited preparation doubt he can only race Dauphine or Suisse and go into the TDF.
Why is the TDF Orica's bogey race? They've had stage wins and also had Yates perform above expectations in last years edition
 
Re: Re:

yaco said:
dirkprovin said:
yaco said:
RedheadDane said:
So... seems they haven't had the best of luck in de Panne.
Only started six, Juul-Jensen out during the stage after his crash, and apparently Keukeleire out too...
Actually seven were listed to start - Cort withdrew the day before, Juul-Jensen DNF in stage 1 and Keukeliere DNS in stage 2 - They can only hope Durbridge podiums in the ITT which he should.

Juul-Jensen replaced by Edmondson for RVV - Edmondson showed in stage 1 he can write on hilly, cobbled terrain - Surprised that Edmondson never rode the full classics season.
Edmondson did have a high placing at Junior RVV so there has always been an inkling that this may be fertile ground in future. However, he lost the majority of 2016 season due to track commitments and one suspects that rather than give him just a full cobbles immersion, rather they are looking at giving him a wider cross-section of racing experience for this year. The fact they we are already seeing a couple of brave showings indicate that barring the unforseen, they'll be extending the deal at the end of this season.
Think Edmondson being re-signed is a given - Interesting to see how Orica approach the TDF ( their bogey race ) with Chaves' ongoing injury concerns - At least a month before Chavez can race again and there is little stage racing in May - As much as Chaves goes well off a limited preparation doubt he can only race Dauphine or Suisse and go into the TDF.
Re Chaves, I think there may need to be a readjustment of schedules re the GTs. Rather than leaving it far too late, reset one of the Yates for the Tour i/o Giro and set Chaves for the Vuelta. Whilst not ideal, make the call now rather than be faced with a last minute "fait accompli".
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY