[Green Edge] Shayne Bannan, Gerry Ryan and an Aussie Pro Team for 2012?

Page 14 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 16, 2009
27
0
0
GreenEDGE - First signings!

Jack B and Meyer Bros. What a surprise. Good start to the team - some points come with Cam. I reckon we'll be reading about Matt Goss and Leigh Howard pretty soon.
 
Oct 27, 2009
161
0
8,830
happy happy happy days...

glad didn't have to wait till mid august for that one... While it is a shame regarding HTC its a pretty good time to be GE coming onto the scene.

Looking forward to seeing Leigh Howard with GE along with Goss as everyone sems to think... anyway guess we will wait and see how many HTC crew go along...
 
Jul 7, 2011
85
0
0
bit of a worry no GC riders have been linked to GE.... but those 3 are almost the best young kids coming through the ranks outside of tanner...

hope they don't bother about LLoyd... he will trick them into thinking he can ride for GC an top 10 :rolleyes:
 
Jul 7, 2011
85
0
0
ingsve said:
Well, it's hard to tell from his palmares since most races he has won have been in Africa but he did finish 6th in Tour de l'Avenir so he can certainly defend himself in climbs. He's perhaps not a climber per se but he seems to handle more than just the flats. And he's also not terrible at ITTs it seems, no specialist by any means but also not terrible like Rodrigues for example.
thanks for the info,,, i do like to see teams sign kids from differnt part of the world an not just all of one country....
 
Mar 13, 2009
2,890
0
0
gerrans for the win said:
bit of a worry no GC riders have been linked to GE.... but those 3 are almost the best young kids coming through the ranks outside of tanner...

hope they don't bother about LLoyd... he will trick them into thinking he can ride for GC an top 10 :rolleyes:
a bit of a worry no GC rider? who would you suggest? If it were my team and I were aiming to develop aussie cycling, I'd ask Cadel and when he says no ignore GC altogether.
 
Jun 16, 2009
19,657
1
0
AussieGoddess said:
Is a good start.

I do hope they get Matt Goss, and I also hope that Renshaw comes too. There is room for both without Renshaw conceding all to lead out Goss.
I am 85% dure Matt will go to GreenEdge. He seems a logical choice for that team. With him and meyer, the points qualification to get into the World Tour will be no problem.

gerrans for the win said:
bit of a worry no GC riders have been linked to GE.... but those 3 are almost the best young kids coming through the ranks outside of tanner...

hope they don't bother about LLoyd... he will trick them into thinking he can ride for GC an top 10 :rolleyes:
Does every team really need a gc rider? I think they get a few decent stage racers but they will predominantly be a sprinter and classics team.
 
Aug 26, 2010
364
0
0
Originally Posted by gerrans for the win
bit of a worry no GC riders have been linked to GE.... but those 3 are almost the best young kids coming through the ranks outside of tanner...

hope they don't bother about LLoyd... he will trick them into thinking he can ride for GC an top 10
Strongly disagree. If they have a strong lead out going to the Giro and the Tour next year then he would be the perfect other card to have to shoot for the climbers jersy. It would get the GE jersy on the Tele in the mountains, is realistic, seems something he likes doing, and doesnt require a whole team for support like a GC rider would. It would give GE a second prong in their attack ion the GT's. And If any of Gerro/Docker/Clarke/Tanner/norris end up at GE then there would be many opportunities to try and get into breaks on those stages where there are mtns points up for grabs and where there is apossibility of braks staying clear. Going for sprints and the climbers jersy diversifies risk and is a tangible goal to ensure GE is everpresent in the GT's. With no GC rider it frees riders up to be agressive.

so whats the word on haussler anyone? does his contract end this year?
Yes he signed a 2 year contract with Garmin last year so he will not be at GE this yr unfortunately. But with Hushovd leaving he should be a protected rider in an extremely strong classics team so its not all bad.
 
Jul 7, 2011
85
0
0
can understand the points made about a GC rider but still nice to have a guy bring in good finishs/prize money an media in OZ imo..,

was concerned there might have to many sprinters in one team, but with haussler signed for 2012 they might fit in around goss...davis an co will deal with it :p
 
There will always be too many sprinters on any aussie team since 70% of all top cyclists produced from australia have been some type of sprinter.

My guess is that GE will look fairly similar to HTC which was a team that had lots and lots of sprinter type riders but at the same time a lot of them were forged into other roles. Remember for example that Eisel started out as a sprinter on Française des Jeux but has become part of the leadout/cobbles in later years. I'm sure you'll see the same thing at GE.
 
Jun 16, 2009
19,657
1
0
ingsve said:
There will always be too many sprinters on any aussie team since 70% of all top cyclists produced from australia have been some type of sprinter.

My guess is that GE will look fairly similar to HTC which was a team that had lots and lots of sprinter type riders but at the same time a lot of them were forged into other roles. Remember for example that Eisel started out as a sprinter on Française des Jeux but has become part of the leadout/cobbles in later years. I'm sure you'll see the same thing at GE.
Agreed, If all the rumours are true about who is coming to green edge then there will be lots of sprinters in that team.

i hope they don't put too much emphasis on Davis and Mcewen. Those guys are too unreliable (especially davis)and Davis is known to be lazy.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
auscyclefan94 said:
I am 85% dure Matt will go to GreenEdge. He seems a logical choice for that team. With him and meyer, the points qualification to get into the World Tour will be no problem.
As things stand if you add together Goss and Meyers points, they would be 16th in the rankings, ahead of Ag2r, quickstep and Vaconsoliel
 
Aug 26, 2010
364
0
0
Roumers thread suggesting Simon Clarke to Greenedge. Would be a great signing. Stacks of future potential and been killing it this year. One of my favourite riders - always on the attack and searching for the breaks. Potential to lead in some stage races in future too if GE want him to.
 
Jul 7, 2010
395
0
0
I think cycling Aussies would prefer to see Goss given a shot, BUT I also think they would love the idea of a successful Aussie team, which Cav would bring. And as loads of young Aussies are from a track background, and sprinter mould, Cav could be a great inspiration for them.

So he wouldn't be a bad signing.

If Cav + Renshaw went to GreenEdge, and they missed out on Goss, I would be ok with it.

Goss + Renshaw would be perfect, but I'd prefer Cav + Renshaw to JUST Goss.
 
Jul 30, 2009
1,621
0
0
abbaskip said:
I think cycling Aussies would prefer to see Goss given a shot, BUT I also think they would love the idea of a successful Aussie team, which Cav would bring. And as loads of young Aussies are from a track background, and sprinter mould, Cav could be a great inspiration for them.

So he wouldn't be a bad signing.

If Cav + Renshaw went to GreenEdge, and they missed out on Goss, I would be ok with it.

Goss + Renshaw would be perfect, but I'd prefer Cav + Renshaw to JUST Goss.
I can see this happening. Goss, Renshaw, Cav.

If the money us there, I reckon there is more chance of this than Cav to sky.

It would be a strange juxtaposition to enjoy an 'aussie' win. ;)
 
Apr 8, 2009
1,003
0
0
I don't believe this would happen BUT would LOVE to get Tony Martin probally one of the best TT's around
 
Andy99 said:
I can see this happening. Goss, Renshaw, Cav.

If the money us there, I reckon there is more chance of this than Cav to sky.

It would be a strange juxtaposition to enjoy an 'aussie' win. ;)
I don't really see why Goss would sign up to be the second sprinter on any team at this point. The guy has won Milan San Remo. He should be going somewhere where he'll be the main sprinter in whatever races he likes rather than taking Cavendish's scraps.

(Admittedly, being another team's main sprinter in the biggest races also involves taking Cavendish's scraps in another sense.)
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

Latest posts