• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

[Green Edge] Shayne Bannan, Gerry Ryan and an Aussie Pro Team for 2012?

Page 18 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
luckyboy said:
I don't think first-year teams should be fast-tracked straight to the WorldTour. Ferminal's outlining of the potential team isn't changing that opinion.

I think the listing of potential teams and stating it will have some weak squads at races is a little disingenuous, you could easily look at AG2R's line-ups for races and see them as weak or look at Euskatel's team in any of the Belgian classics and say they are weak. In the current WT environment it is difficult for teams to field strong teams in all three GTs and all the other races in the WT calendar. BMC had a team which won the TdF and yet fielded a very weak team at the Giro.

On paper Vaconsoleil's GT squads don't look great either, but they animate by getting in breaks and competing on the stages that suit them. Hopefully GE will look to do the same.

I do however agree that they need to fill in with some seasoned professionals capable of winning in their 'non-Australian' slots as the squad suggested is heavy weighted on extremely talented youngsters and old head (quality) domestiques, neither of which will set the world alight in 2012 (especially with Olympic commitments).

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Ferminal said:
Weening.

Took me a while as I thought his other stage win was Vuelta not Tour.

Weening has just been confirmed via the GreenEdge twitter feed. Very interesting indeed.

Now they just need to get a licence so they can ride!

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Ferminal said:
The first of our international signings to be announced today - A Tour de France & Giro d'Italia stage winner....

Why are they ignoring Teklehaimanot?

Weening isn't a big surprise but at least its confirmed. He has some climbing pedigree which should be hard to come by in this team you'd think.

Sasquatch said:
If GreenEdge want Morton they need to sign him up now before Garmin sign him up for 2 years.

Yep but will they take the risk on him, especially when they are looking at the AIS boys? Did Morton go through that program at all?

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Tuarts said:
Why are they ignoring Teklehaimanot?

Weening isn't a big surprise but at least its confirmed. He has some climbing pedigree which should be hard to come by in this team you'd think.

Yep but will they take the risk on him, especially when they are looking at the AIS boys? Did Morton go through that program at all?

No he went to america as an U19 or U23 as JV had already picked him up from him racing there when he was with Real Aussie Kids. As far as I know Cycling Australia never offered him a spot in the AIS program

Sep 27, 2009
Visit site
Sasquatch said:
If GreenEdge want Morton they need to sign him up now before Garmin sign him up for 2 years.

I am not sure that Morton would go to GreenEdge. In this recent interview, http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/interview-morton-eyes-garmin-cervelo-upgrade-in-the-future he says

CN: Do you think you will be a member of the Garmin-Cervelo ProTeam in the near future?

LM: Yes, it defiantly feels like the natural progression but I'm certainly not forcing it. I'm totally aware of how large of a step it is and I know that just because you can podium in NRC races doesn't mean you can even finish WorldTour races. That being said, I would like to continue progressing forward with Slipstream Sports. They put faith in me two years ago when I was still a Junior. I can't even get that faith from my national team now. I don't forget these things.

Seems to have a bit of swipe at Australian cycling and seems set on joining Garmin. Of course Garmin may not want him although that seems unlikely given his obvious talent.

Oct 25, 2009
Visit site
ingsve said:
Well, it's not like Hendo hasn't gotten any chances at Sky. He had 19 podium finishes so far while at Sky which is more than the 12 he got at Columbia in two years and with all the sprinter types that are rumored as going to GE I doubt he would be getting any more chances there than he currently gets at Sky. The main thing would be the Tour but the competition to be on the Tour squad is probably just as hard at GE as it is at Sky.

Well Hendo's off but not to GE it seems - per Lucybears on the Transfers thread http://www.biciciclismo.com/cas/site...a.asp?id=42004

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
LukeSchmid said:
I am not sure that Morton would go to GreenEdge. In this recent interview, http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/interview-morton-eyes-garmin-cervelo-upgrade-in-the-future

Lachie doesn't want to go to Greenedge any time in the near future. I think he said this in a velonation interview some time ago. He says he will be loyal to JV who put faith in him and I think he might have someting against Bannan too. Maybe when he is a GC contender Greenedge will spash enough money at him to have him...:)

Aug 30, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:
Such a miserable process, especially when they are just revealing signings they made weeks/months ago.

Perhaps stalling while they finish off negotiations with a potentially big name. Positive thinking! But yes incredibly tedious.

Andy99 said:
When do we find out if they have said licence?

Last year the provisional list was released November 20 and the final list December 10.

TRENDING THREADS