[Green Edge] Shayne Bannan, Gerry Ryan and an Aussie Pro Team for 2012?

Page 37 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 30, 2009
1,621
0
0
Green_&_Gold said:
Camon mate. There are plenty of young kids with alot of potential. O'Grady and McEwen have been stars and deserve to be part of GE. Besides Robbie is only going to do a few early races before becoming a director and O'Grady looks in Great form.

They will be a ProTour team at least on the one factor that the UCI would love a team from Australia, in there attempts to globalize cycling.
Ok, yeah, hands-up. The team is such an easy target though ;)
 
Jan 11, 2010
12,582
0
0
Cooke, McEwen, Davis... every team's token Aussie sprinter who rarely wins, now all together on one team. Their next signing will be Graeme Brown?
 
May 23, 2010
292
0
0
I am shocked that they signed McEwen. And no disrespect to him, what a great rider he has been. But lets be honest, he is a fair way off what he was. Sure, only half a year and his experience will be great, but I am growing increasingly concerned that Goss isn't going to be riding for GreenEdge.
And on that, where are all the HTC announcements? It's b.een September 1st in my part of the world for over 16 hours
 
Woody22 said:
I am shocked that they signed McEwen. And no disrespect to him, what a great rider he has been. But lets be honest, he is a fair way off what he was. Sure, only half a year and his experience will be great, but I am growing increasingly concerned that Goss isn't going to be riding for GreenEdge.
And on that, where are all the HTC announcements? It's b.een September 1st in my part of the world for over 16 hours
I agree with the first half of your post but in regards to the HTC part....no one said they had to announce on Sept 1st where they are going. I believe Van Garderen said he would announce a few days after sept 1st what his intentions for 2012 were
 
Jul 8, 2009
501
0
0
No wonder we're called a nation of knockers :rolleyes:... fair dinkum.

Since he's only doing a limited season and then giving his considerable experience to the team as a DS, then it has to be seen as an important signing.

Maybe BMC have filled their roster with too many superstars and GreenEDGE can grab that young chicken Big George? :D
 
Aug 26, 2010
364
0
0
'At 39 years of age, McEwen may be now in the twilight of his riding career, but the experience and leadership he brings to the team is invaluable. According to GreenEdge, the Australian will only ride a selected early season program, before he will join the staff as one of the team's sporting directors.'

Stuey's not exactly a spring chicken anymore either.

Baden Cooke. Hmm.
Baden Cooke is 32!!!!!!!!! and if you have watched the same cycling I have this season you will be well aware that Stuey is well capable of matching it at the top level. As well as Baden for that matter!

Groan. I thought the people that were running this team knew what they were doing.
Is that in regards to signing Robbie? On sporting merits Robbie isn't what he once was but there is undoubtabley value in having him on board. Put your prejudices aside for once! There is ample youth youth in the team I have to agree with Andy that people are attacking this team because they feel they will be justified by the lack of big wins that this team will have next year. The reality is that GE is a long term project and the medium to londer term goals are far more important.

Cooke, McEwen, Davis... every team's token Aussie sprinter who rarely wins, now all together on one team. Their next signing will be Graeme Brown?
I agree. These riders will only be of value if they have a faster sprinter to work for. Hence why I am hanging on the signing of Goss or Hendo (I am aware Hendo is likely to be off to lotto). I think those two are fast enough to warrant the lead sprinting role in a team. Dean and Howard i think are just a step below (Howard atleast at this stage).

Beppu was left of field not linked at all,maybe thy can score another not linked name
Cyclingtips has had Beppu tipped for weeks.
 
Jul 30, 2009
1,621
0
0
Sydney21 said:
Baden Cooke is 32!!!!!!!!!
Maybe so, but he might as well be a pensioner given his perfrmances over the last few years. ;)

As much as anyone, I would love to see GE become the major player that they sell themselves as. Sadly, this looks to be a long way off the mark.

Just think of the amount of stick sky got - yet in reality they had a decent squad and (after a ahaky start) delivered.

I really can't see GE achieving anything as things stand. :mad:
 
Aug 26, 2010
364
0
0
Andy99 said:
Maybe so, but he might as well be a pensioner given his perfrmances over the last few years. ;)

As much as anyone, I would love to see GE become the major player that they sell themselves as. Sadly, this looks to be a long way off the mark.

Just think of the amount of stick sky got - yet in reality they had a decent squad and (after a ahaky start) delivered.

I really can't see GE achieving anything as things stand. :mad:
When have they ever sold themselves as anything other than a team that will be competative in the classics and the sprints!??? They havnt said that they would win the TDF like sky did! Watch the video on youtube with neil stephens he quite directly sets out that that the classics would be their forte and maybe the sprints too. And given their roster already it seems a reasonable claim to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaoKZj-jiAk (Listen from 1.50)

And Cooke came 10th in Gent-Wevelgem 5th in Dwars Door Vlanderen and 22nd in Roubaix after he would have had a good shot at sprinting for 5-6th from the front group before his pedal snapped. He has also been pressent in leading out Haedo in a number of races. I'm not sure what sport you've been watching?
 
Apr 14, 2010
727
0
0
auscyclefan94 said:
Groan. I thought the people that were running this team knew what they were doing.
They do. You don't.

Robbie is an Aussie cycling legend and will be worth his salary in press coverage (from interviews if no longer from results). When people think of Australians at the tour - up till this year - they think of Robbie. At 39, he's still my favourite rider and with Stuey O'Grady brought many many Australian fans to the sport of professional cycling. Most Australians who have cycled for more than a few years were inspired to take up the sport by these guys (myself included). His forthright interviews and comments will be sadly missed by the cycling press rather than the sterile drivel that most sportspeople call an interview these days.

He isn't being signed for big results, he will do the TdU as a goodbye to his Australian fans, and a few Belgian races (like Paris-Brussels) to say goodbye to his second home and then move on to be GE's Zabel. A role he is extremely well suited to, and which the many young sprinters in the team will greatly benefit from. This team know exactly what they're doing.
 
Jul 30, 2009
1,621
0
0
Sydney21 said:
When have they ever sold themselves as anything other than a team that will be competative in the classics and the sprints!??? They havnt said that they would win the TDF like sky did! Watch the video on youtube with neil stephens he quite directly sets out that that the classics would be their forte and maybe the sprints too. And given their roster already it seems a reasonable claim to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaoKZj-jiAk (Listen from 1.50)

And Cooke came 10th in Gent-Wevelgem 5th in Dwars Door Vlanderen and 22nd in Roubaix after he would have had a good shot at sprinting for 5-6th from the front group before his pedal snapped. He has also been pressent in leading out Haedo in a number of races. I'm not sure what sport you've been watching?
Alright. Fair enough :)

He has evidently just avoided my radar ;)
 
May 25, 2010
3,371
0
0
ingsve said:
The CQ numbers are more up to date.
...not to mention there's a dime a dozen of these floating around on the net now, everyone different but using "my own exact formula".
 
Aug 4, 2009
1,056
0
0
McEwan and O'Grady on same team either they kissed and made up or someone banged their heads together.

They both want the Tour Down under McEwan especialy he will retire after that. O'Gradey soon after him.
 
Jun 16, 2009
19,657
1
0
Spider1964 said:
No wonder we're called a nation of knockers :rolleyes:... fair dinkum.

Since he's only doing a limited season and then giving his considerable experience to the team as a DS, then it has to be seen as an important signing.

Maybe BMC have filled their roster with too many superstars and GreenEDGE can grab that young chicken Big George? :D
Nation of knoclers? Give me a break. He can just go off into the sunset and do a book tour for all I care. Doing a parade in the Tour Down Under is a nice way to go out.
PCutter said:
They do. You don't.

Robbie is an Aussie cycling legend and will be worth his salary in press coverage (from interviews if no longer from results). When people think of Australians at the tour - up till this year - they think of Robbie. At 39, he's still my favourite rider and with Stuey O'Grady brought many many Australian fans to the sport of professional cycling. Most Australians who have cycled for more than a few years were inspired to take up the sport by these guys (myself included). His forthright interviews and comments will be sadly missed by the cycling press rather than the sterile drivel that most sportspeople call an interview these days.

He isn't being signed for big results, he will do the TdU as a goodbye to his Australian fans, and a few Belgian races (like Paris-Brussels) to say goodbye to his second home and then move on to be GE's Zabel. A role he is extremely well suited to, and which the many young sprinters in the team will greatly benefit from. This team know exactly what they're doing.
Worth his salary in press coverage? What a load of BS. His signing won't be in the first 20 pages of sport. One day in the paper, a distant memory next. Just because he has brough lots of interest doesn't mean they should sign him as a rider. Just to remind you, Paris Brussels is in September so I doubt he'll be doing that. He'll be a good DS but not smart to have him as a rider imo. Your letting your emotions cloud you with your thoughts about signing. It has been a quite a few years now that when people think tour they think Cadel not Robbie.
 
Apr 14, 2010
727
0
0
auscyclefan94 said:
Worth his salary in press coverage? What a load of BS. His signing won't be in the first 20 pages of sport. One day in the paper, a distant memory next. Just because he has brough lots of interest doesn't mean they should sign him as a rider. Just to remind you, Paris Brussels is in September so I doubt he'll be doing that. He'll be a good DS but not smart to have him as a rider imo. Your letting your emotions cloud you with your thoughts about signing. It has been a quite a few years now that when people think tour they think Cadel not Robbie.
When non-cycling Australian journalists look for an interview, who do you think they're going to chase, Robbie or Leigh Howard. And that will be the case at the Tour as well. All credit to CN, but coverage in the general press is what counts.

And he's not going to be a DS, there's a difference.
 
Jul 10, 2009
91
0
0
Whether Robbie is worth his salary depends on what they are paying him! Possibly not very much. Robbie needs the team more than they need him. He probably gets most of his income from his personal sponsors so needs to stay in the public eye. This deal will keep Robbie's publicity machine going for another year. He also has a book to sell.

Performance wise the team is not quite there until they sign Goss, preferably Howard as well.
 
Tuarts said:
From top of my head (because I cba tracing my steps through non-english sites) there's this one: http://www.podiumcafe.com/2011/8/17/2367776/table-of-2010-11-rider-sporting-value
Cool, I hadn't seen that one. Though that was a pretty poor effort since it completely neglects the continental rankings and lower ranking races. As far as I know it's on Reyes and CQ that have actually reconstructed to extended WT and continental rankings to get the correct scores from these rankings.
 
Jul 20, 2011
619
0
0
JRanton said:
McEwen brings with him some very handy points (49) so he's an important signing in that respect.
which may be another reason for him riding a limited early season programme. nice goodbye but also means they get his riding points which they would not if went straight to DS
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts