• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

[Green Edge] Shayne Bannan, Gerry Ryan and an Aussie Pro Team for 2012?

Page 45 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
badboyberty said:
Do you know what's the main business of the Australian distributor of the Scott bikes GreenEdge wil be riding is? Clue, starts with A and ends with the letters vanti.

Avanti are way too small a brand to be a sponsor at the global level.

Do they even exist beyond the Antipodes?

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
bicing said:
True, but if the sign Weening, why not Froomy?

On the vuelta commentary yesterday on ITV4, they listed the 8 teams that Froome has been approached by to date (from his agent yesterday)

GE wasn't one of them.

briztoon

BANNED
Aug 13, 2011
Visit site
badboyberty said:
Do you know what's the main business of the Australian distributor of the Scott bikes GreenEdge wil be riding is? Clue, starts with A and ends with the letters vanti.

Avanti are way too small a brand to be a sponsor at the global level.

No I didn't know that.

So does anyone rate the avanti bikes or not?

May 27, 2010
Visit site
briztoon said:
No I didn't know that.

So does anyone rate the avanti bikes or not?

They're a good bike (well the top models anyway) last I looked at them they are just not a global brand and so have no need or want to sponsor a global professional team. As mentioned before they do sponser the New Zealeand Pure Black Racing team.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
diggercuz said:
howard confirmed. reckon hes gonna be a smashing rider in a few years...

GE sticking to their plan of sprinters... looking like they gonna be pretty darn fast in a few years...

http://www.greenedgecycling.com/news/next-stop-greenedge

Agreed, though in the short term it is not a wise move. GreenEdge have quite a few riders who will be riding track throughout the whole year. They will be missing quite a few riders throughout the year.

auscyclefan94 said:
Agreed, though in the short term it is not a wise move. GreenEdge have quite a few riders who will be riding track throughout the whole year. They will be missing quite a few riders throughout the year.

Well, they'll hardly be missed, due to the redundancy in the roster. What it means though is that other riders will get a more hectic schedule.

bicing said:
There's no doubt about it, they are certainly taking the High Road to cycling greatness.

Libertine's new favourite team.

They're going to have an ethos that I totally detest, for sure... but will they actually be able to squash the sprints like HTC have been able to? I mean, really?

Hopefully Wiggins and Froome kick up a stink and we're left with Sky looking like Silence-Lotto ca. 2008 with a sprinter and a couple of helpers, and a GC man and a couple of helpers, and fully committed to neither.

That way, we might just see a bit of unpredictability, as teams would be foolish not to make Sky work to bring things back for Cavendish, meaning that the best sprinter no longer has the best leadout - Cavendish has always been at his most interesting and most impressive when he's had to fend for himself.

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Bernie's one of CW's few who moved back into FlyV. Would never expect him to go there (although maybe next year, a chance to be with his brother?).

So just an update on that Sydney Morning Herald list from a month or so back:

Confirmed: Jack Bobridge (Garmin-Cervelo), Cameron Meyer (Garmin-Cervelo), Travis Meyer (Garmin-Cervelo), Stuart O’Grady (LeOpard), Daniel Teklehaymanot (Eritrea)

Likely to join: Michael Albasini (Swtz/HTC-Highroad), Simon Clarke (Astana), Baden Cooke (Saxo Bank-SunGard), Allan Davis (Astana), Julian Dean (NZ/Garmin-Cervelo), Luke Durbidge (Jayco-AIS), Mitch Docker (Skil-Shimano), Simon Gerrans (Sky), Matt Goss (HTC-Highroad), Michael Hepburn (Jayco-AIS), Leigh Howard (HTC-Highroad), Brett Lancaster (Garmin-Cervelo), Sebastian Langeveld (Neth/Rabobank), Matt Lloyd (released Omega Pharma -Lotto), Jens Mouris (Neth/Vacansoleil), Luke Roberts (Saxo Bank-SunGard), Wesley Sulzberger (FDJ), Matt Wilson (Garmin-Cervelo), Tomas Vaitkus (Neth/Astana), Pieter Weening (Neth/Rabobank)

23 out of the 25 riders they listed have now been confirmed. In addition to that, 7 riders who they didn't mention have also been confirmed: Tuft, McEwen, Beppu, Keukeleire, Impey, Meier and Kroupis.

JRanton said:
So just an update on that Sydney Morning Herald list from a month or so back:

17 out of the 25 riders they listed have now been confirmed (the ones in bold). In addition to that, 4 riders who they didn't mention have also been confirmed: Tuft, McEwen, Beppu and Keukeleire.

Davis, Dean, Docker, Lancaster and Roberts have all been very strongly linked or are as good as confirmed.

So that makes 26 with the roster expected to be 28.

I've read (on here I think) that Matt Lloyd won't be joining. Using the SMH list, that would leave Durbridge and Hepburn to fill the other two places. I see that Cycling Quotient lists neither of those two riders as either confirmed or rumoured signings, instead they have Sutton, Hayman, Wurf, Dennis and Gustav Larsson as possible signings for the last two spots: http://www.cqranking.com/men/asp/gen/transfers.asp

In an interview done ahead of Colorado, Gustav Larsson denied that he would be going to GreenEdge. Which I think is good news for both parties. (Though he would have been their only rider to finish top 20 in a GT or two.)

http://www.smp.se/sport/larsson-snart-i-ett-nytt-lag(2901640).gm

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
JRanton said:
The article carried quotes from a GreenEdge spokesman talking about Beppu's signing so I think it's fair to say he's confirmed unless something extremely odd has happened.

Beppu confirmed that he has not signed with anyone after the article came out.

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
very quiet ..

About time we got some signing updates by the PR folks at Greenedge - another 6 or so left. Why the delay in the annoucements now? Surely pen has been put to paper for all effected riders. I would assume that there would be a bonus in the contract for late season performances/world champs etc. Cant be waiting for the World champs.

I am losing a bit of interest.

TRENDING THREADS