• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

[Green Edge] Shayne Bannan, Gerry Ryan and an Aussie Pro Team for 2012?

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 25, 2010
Visit site
GreenEDGE aiming for one-day success

20 April 2011 | 05:07:07 PM | Source: AAP

The latest Australian bid to have a team in the Tour de France will take a cautious approach to cycling's greatest race if the campaign is successful.

GreenEDGE hopes to become the first Australian-based group to have a team competing at the top tier of men's professional cycling.

General manager Shayne Bannan aims to gain a racing licence for next season and will have to wait until probably October or November to learn if he's successful.

Bannan said GreenEDGE would initially target success at the big one-day classics, rather than stage races such as the Tour de France.

"I think we'll probably start off as more of a classics-looking team more than a stage race team, with perhaps 50 per cent of the riders being Australian," Bannan told the cyclingnews website.

"Perhaps in four or five years we'd like to develop into a stage race team, but I think it's important to be realistic about the whole process.

"We want to be a global team with Australian DNA and so we'd like to have a mix of Australians, Europeans and North American riders.

"We'll even consider taking a few Brits if they are good enough and fit in well with our set-up."

Bannan is in the middle of putting the new team together and satisfying strict eligibility criteria to attain ProTeam status.

GreenEDGE announced this week that Santini would clothe the team for three years, continuing the Italian manufacturer's strong links with Australian cycling.

"I'm pretty satisfied with how things are going," Bannan said.

"We're where we should be in regards to the setting up of the management company and the team base in Varese (Italy)."

GreenEDGE cannot start formal negotiations with potential riders until August 1, with big Australian names such as Matt Goss, Cameron Meyer and Jack Bobridge certain to be on the new team's wish list.

Giro d'Italia star Matt Lloyd is also likely to be on the GreenEDGE radar after Omega Pharma Lotto sensationally sacked him last week.

"We've had a lot of informal talks but the real negotiations will start later on," Bannan said.

"We know the guys pretty well, so we talk to them quite a lot anyway."
Key points in bold.

So the whole outrage of the "Aussie-only" business from people here has been squashed: all its taken is a few months and its now 50% Aussies riders no 75% haha.

Interesting that they're focusing on the Classics. Guess that means the style of riders like Goss, Gerrans, Hayman, Haussler add to that Docker, de Kort, Meyers, Bobridge and now Lloyd who looks set (eventually) and you can sort of see a team taking shape. Some of the internationals they may target could be Henderson, Southam etc, guys of that ilk who have connections to Aus cycling. Aiming for the classics and not Grand Tours (mind you Bannan didn't specify if he meant riding in GTs or aiming for the GC on GTs) I think is a rather realistic approach too, so they seem to at least be going about this practically.

Oh and :lol: at Britain not being classified as Europe.

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Tuarts said:
Key points in bold.

So the whole outrage of the "Aussie-only" business from people here has been squashed: all its taken is a few months and its now 50% Aussies riders no 75% haha.

Interesting that they're focusing on the Classics. Guess that means the style of riders like Goss, Gerrans, Hayman, Haussler add to that Docker, de Kort, Meyers, Bobridge and now Lloyd who looks set (eventually) and you can sort of see a team taking shape. Some of the internationals they may target could be Henderson, Southam etc, guys of that ilk who have connections to Aus cycling. Aiming for the classics and not Grand Tours (mind you Bannan didn't specify if he meant riding in GTs or aiming for the GC on GTs) I think is a rather realistic approach too, so they seem to at least be going about this practically.

Oh and :lol: at Britain not being classified as Europe.

Yea I have heard them go from 75% to 60% to 50% but I think they will just sign as many as they can sign and fill the rest of the team with european riders. I'd imagine theyed target all those riders apart from docker who I recall signing a 3 yr contract with Skil Shimano last yr.

I think they mean they will not attempt to win Grand Tours in their first couple of years and rather have a team that will be competative in the classics and shoot for stages in the Grand tours or if Lloydy, Lowe and other climbers come across perhaps even the climbers tool. Australia has a wealth of riders who can win one day classics and stages so it makes sense for an Australia team to target them and be at the front fighting for something in the TDF. For the classics, Hayman, Cooke, O'Grady and Haussler are the keys. Probably need atleast two of them as well as Gerro, Richie Porte, Meyer, Bobridge for the stage racers and Howard, Sutton and Howard for the sprints. Those names are the sort of Aussie roster that i'd be shooting for as well as Durbridge and Hepburn. The others will likely come from all over the place but it depends on which and if any other pro teams fold. (Anyone know if Radioshack are continuing their sponsorship??).

Too hard to tell which foreign riders they'll target I think but most of the the aussie riders they'll target are pretty obvious.

May 19, 2009
Visit site
Docker sign with Skil until 12-2011??????

I have doubs with Mitch Docker...he signs a contract with Skil for 3 years...but this contract ends in 2011????????

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Oh wow, I forgot O'Grady and Cooke. Makes you smile though, when there's such an abundance of talent you can have the luxury to forget a couple. :D

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
vala-vala said:
I have doubs with Mitch Docker...he signs a contract with Skil for 3 years...but this contract ends in 2011????????

I think you might be right http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/docker-amongst-contract-renewals-at-skil-shimano but for some reason I have this image in my head that he inked a deal for 3 years some time last year.

Oh wow, I forgot O'Grady and Cooke. Makes you smile though, when there's such an abundance of talent you can have the luxury to forget a couple.

Also Simon Clarke is another guy who I forgot and who has been tremendously impressive this year. He is so versatile being able to climb (15th on GC at Tirrenno this year and ride like he did in flanders and Roubaix (before he crashed). and I'm not sure but this http://www.simonclarke.com.au/ implys his deal with astana was just one year long as does this http://astana.lu/news_x.php?ID_news=146.

Alby davis might also be off contract but apart from his experience I cant see that he will offer anything that younger Aussie sprinters can. He seems to have such a short form peak but nevertheless I like the guy.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Sydney21 said:
also Chris Sutton was pretty ****ed that he didn't get a ride in roubaix after winning KBK so I wouldnt be surprised if he left sky.

lol things like that happen all the time in teams. no reason to leave usually.

Even if Docker is under contract I expect GreenEdge to try and grab him, either by the Katyusha-for-Kolobnev acceptable route or the Team Sky underhand route.

Lowe and Lloyd are going to be absolutely worthless in the bid to become ProTour because they'll offer next to no UCI points. Those points are the main thing the team needs in order to achieve their objectives; a lot of Pegasus' problem was that an underwhelming roster and a lack of said points meant they couldn't make the guarantees that the sponsors needed.

Clarke is a logical selection, plus he gives them much-needed experience of racing very difficult stage races and contacts in Italy in the case that they have to settle for ProConti.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Many people in Australia who would be interested in investing in Green EDGE will want the team to be 50% Australian. Some people may disagree but we are a patriotic country. You'll especially find that out if you come to Australia and see the Anzac Day celebrations. Personally I see that as our national day.

Anyway, enough of the patriotic stuff. Gerrans seems pretty happy at Sky. I do think that some of the young Garmin guys will go as they still have a lot of involvement with the AIS and the people who are involved with Green EDGE. Simon Clarke would be a good pick up. He has been a very good rider for Astana.

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
lol things like that happen all the time in teams. no reason to leave usually.

Granted but for a guy who will be a 27 yr old guy by classics time next year and a guy who is passionate about riding roubaix, it doesnt exactly make sense to stay in a team such as sky where you only have a chance of getting a ride. And what more does he have to do than win KBK to get a roll. Sky favour their underachieving norweign in many races that Chris would like to win too so I'm just saying that on sporting terms it may well be a very good move for him.

Lowe and Lloyd are going to be absolutely worthless in the bid to become ProTour because they'll offer next to no UCI points. Those points are the main thing the team needs in order to achieve their objectives; a lot of Pegasus' problem was that an underwhelming roster and a lack of said points meant they couldn't make the guarantees that the sponsors needed.

True but im sure they'd still be glad to have them (depending on what happens with the Lowe JV case and the Lloyd situation). If they can snare Gossy it is likely they will already be past half way to their required points so i'm sure they will do their calculations and sort it out themselves. Not every rider on their team is going to have a bundle of points with them.

auscyclefan94 said:
Simon Clarke would be a good pick up. He has been a very good rider for Astana.

Is it wrong for me not to be excited by such a move?

He is finally being noticed after moving to a new team, after a couple of years toiling away in Pro Continental ranks. Why change a formula which seems to be working so far this season. I'd prefer to see Australians represented in most ProTour teams rather than being pigeonholed into one team.

Of course, that is just my observation, I guess it's irrelevant if the rider isn't happy where they are or think things could be better for them elsewhere.

The biggest plays will be on Porte, Goss and Haussler.

Porte will be gone unless Riis finds some room in his budget.

Goss will be gone if HTC want to keep Cav (they probably can't afford both).

Haussler just doesn't seem to be at ease at Garmin-Cervelo.

If they get two of those three, plus a big foreigner then they would have a few leaders they can build a team around and get some handy results whilst the younger ones continue their development.

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
vala-vala said:
Who european riders are linked with GreenEDGE????

Koen de Kort?........

No one has really been linked yet I don't think. Guys like Jesse Seargent, David Villeaux, Daryl Impey would all be useful guys from anglo backgrounds. Bannan said in an interview that he would be interested in riders from Nth America, some from Europe and possible even a couple from Brittain. Maybe Geriant Thomas will come downunder :). Its way too hard to tell yet unfortunately though I just like wishful thinking.

Australians represented in most ProTour teams rather than being pigeonholed into one team.

I don't buy that for Simon Clarke. He's quite a different rider to most other Australians and could have the same opportunities at GreenEdge. I think its more an issue if they want to sign both Goss and Haussler. That could hinder one or the other for MSR or stages in the tour. Other than that they'd be happy to ride fairly separate schedules except for the cobbles where Haussler would clearly take priority at this stage.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:
Is it wrong for me not to be excited by such a move?

He is finally being noticed after moving to a new team, after a couple of years toiling away in Pro Continental ranks. Why change a formula which seems to be working so far this season. I'd prefer to see Australians represented in most ProTour teams rather than being pigeonholed into one team.

Of course, that is just my observation, I guess it's irrelevant if the rider isn't happy where they are or think things could be better for them elsewhere.

I am not saying he WILL move but I think he would be a good pick up. He is starting to show himself in the big races.

Well, at least they show they can think rationally and not have their head in the clouds. You only need to look at the results from this year to see that this was a no-brainer. Goss and Gerrans winning/podium in big classics (with Sutton and Hayman riding well) while Porte not showing any promise at all so far and the other aussies with possible GT potential are way to young.

I think what riders they eventually get will determine mostly on what teams will put up the most fight. I could imagine that for example Sky might be willing to let a few of their guys go since they are currently on the limit of allowed riders on the roster and they probably have a few more brits they would want to make room for as well as Henao. I think Gerrans, Hayman and Sutton might all be primary targets while Henderson might also be a secondary target. If I were Sky I would try to keep Hayman rather than the other ones. The thing that might keep Sutton at Sky is possibly the family connection.

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Ferminal said:

The biggest plays will be on Porte, Goss and Haussler.

Porte will be gone unless Riis finds some room in his budget.

Goss will be gone if HTC want to keep Cav (they probably can't afford both).

Haussler just doesn't seem to be at ease at Garmin-Cervelo.

If they get two of those three, plus a big foreigner then they would have a few leaders they can build a team around and get some handy results whilst the younger ones continue their development.

There are 38 Australian riders in the ProTeam/ProConti ranks. 15 (which I see as a max number and unrealistic, more like 10 at most will be from those stocks) of them riding for GE will still see a lot of other riders at other PT teams.

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Tuarts said:
There are 38 Australian riders in the ProTeam/ProConti ranks. 15 (which I see as a max number and unrealistic, more like 10 at most will be from those stocks) of them riding for GE will still see a lot of other riders at other PT teams.

Yea I think 10-14 guys from the pro and pro conti teams plus a few other guys like durbridge, Hepburn. Dennis would have been good too but I think he signed a 2 yr contract with the Rabo development squad or something.

GE shouldnt want to loot too many riders of the same type from these teams with a commercial interest in australia ie Sky, Rabo, Saxo, Garmin, HTC because that will only make these teams think twice about signing young Australian riders. So what I mean is they shouldnt poach Howard Goss and Renshaw all from HTC but just one or two of them who aren't getting the opportunities that they would at GE. As long as Cav is at HTC Gossy will never have the opportunity to ride the TDF. GE do have the Australia's cycling welfare at heart because it is run by Aussie cycling enthusiats so I'd think its more likely that they try to sign the riders who they can give better opportunities to that the team they were on previously.

May 25, 2010
Visit site
A GT team which focus on winning sprints (eg Goss) as well as say having Lloyd and a couple of decent climbers in it for stage races isn't that impracticable

May 25, 2010
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Many people in Australia who would be interested in investing in Green EDGE will want the team to be 50% Australian. Some people may disagree but we are a patriotic country. You'll especially find that out if you come to Australia and see the Anzac Day celebrations. Personally I see that as our national day.

Anyway, enough of the patriotic stuff. Gerrans seems pretty happy at Sky. I do think that some of the young Garmin guys will go as they still have a lot of involvement with the AIS and the people who are involved with Green EDGE. Simon Clarke would be a good pick up. He has been a very good rider for Astana.

Sorry to backtrack but this is a stupid statement but is sadly true. Patriotism is disgusting and really should have no place in this country, especially considering our history but alas we do like to emulate those from across the Pacific. Having National Pride is fine btw but its a big difference from patriotism.

auscyclefan94 said:
I am not saying he WILL move but I think he would be a good pick up. He is starting to show himself in the big races.

Yeh I know, was just making a comment (wasn't necessarily related to your post :p ).

To clarify a bit - I'd rather see those who were in Clarke's position one or two years ago being signed up (i.e. struggling to break into the top level), rather than those already there (Clarke in 2011). The end result is more Australians in the Pro Tour, racing the biggest races. Of course that conflicts with wanting to get the best possible results.

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Further investigation here (procrastinating on doing the prediction game tables) and found out some interesting info about Aussie cyclists. Just note that this may not be 100% accurate given the fluid nature of teams

In 2010 there were 26 Aussie cyclists on ProTour teams, 6 on ProConti teams and 65 on Continental teams.

In 2011 there is 29 Aussie cyclists on ProTeams teams, 9 on ProConti teams and 78 on Continental teams.

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
I think the reality of the team won't be a case of stripping the rest of the teams dry of Aussie stars in the way suggested a lot in this forum. Yes Garmin and HTC have made a lot of noise as they have a number of young Aussie stars, but the reality may be that while GE do grab a couple of "big" Aussie names, a lot of the 50% target will be made up with quality riders, but not the sort of stars that teams will scream about losing.

They could sign a couple of "names" like Goss and Gerrrans from ProTour teams, add some solid PT guys with potential to add to their careers like Lloyd and Wes Sulzberger, grab some quality domestiques like Roberts, Hayman, Wurf, Wilson, Lancaster, etc. add some PC guys like Mitch Docker, and a couple of the guys from the development squad Jayco-Skins like Durbridge and Hepburn, then see if they can add a road leader like O'Grady for one last season before transitioning to a DS role. And finally, they grab Bobridge, the guy they see as a future superstar.

Whilst HTC would be disappointed to lose Goss and Garmin to lose Bobridge, thats a solid Australian list that's hardly going to pi$$ off the rest of the world as suggested in here.

Then look to fill the other half of the squad with some experience and quality riders. If the team is focussing on classics, why not chase Hushovd. At least in an Aussie run team he won't be told to soft pedal in his season's target;) And hope RS folds and grab a few in one hit including the Kiwis Bannan would be familiar with from the track.

The riders will be sure to only sign with GE if they think it will serve them better. There's been a number of interviews with riders already saying they would only go to GE if its right for their career. Even Cam Meyer has said he see's no reason to leave Garmin (though we'll wait till August to believe him).

TRENDING THREADS