[Green Edge] Shayne Bannan, Gerry Ryan and an Aussie Pro Team for 2012?

Page 91 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
It might be too hilly ( besides Cadel- if he wants to will get in and Porte, Borbridge and Rogers will also be lining up to get into the team ) which is quite a strong team to crack.
I would personally have Porte ( because he says he likes hilly ITT's ) and Cadel.
 
Apr 10, 2011
4,819
0
0
greenedge said:
It might be too hilly ( besides Cadel- if he wants to will get in and Porte, Borbridge and Rogers will also be lining up to get into the team ) which is quite a strong team to crack.
I would personally have Porte ( because he says he likes hilly ITT's ) and Cadel.
Cadel said he wants to totally focus on Olympic ITT and doesn't think he'll do Worlds ITT ( again wants to focus on RR ). So I'd say it will be Rogers and Porte rather.
 
Another win for the boys and Orica must be rubbing their hands together with glee. Durbridge was great, as was Gerrans.

If Turbo does well in the longer time trial at Dauphine they may have to reconsider the tour but when you reflect on his age it does seem to big an ask.

Hopefully Howard can get up on Stage 3 for a win as well, he looked pretty good behind Sagan in California and was looking pretty sharp in that prologue.
 
Wilba60 said:
Another win for the boys and Orica must be rubbing their hands together with glee. Durbridge was great, as was Gerrans.

If Turbo does well in the longer time trial at Dauphine they may have to reconsider the tour but when you reflect on his age it does seem to big an ask.

Hopefully Howard can get up on Stage 3 for a win as well, he looked pretty good behind Sagan in California and was looking pretty sharp in that prologue.
Worlds TTT is a major objective so having one of their guns doing the Tour would rule them out of top form in September. Durbridge will probably take a rest after Dauphine and then do ENECO/Vuelta (first half)/Worlds. It also looks like Meyer is going to do something similar - even though he could make the Tour squad on merit it would push him to about 60 race days, hard to come back from that.

What are we looking at then?

Tour

Goss
Langeveld
O'Grady
Albasini
Weening
Gerrans

Three of: Lancaster, Impey, Cooke, Vaitkus, Sulzberger, Tuft

Vuelta

Davis
Clarke
Howard
Durbridge
Meyer

With the final places going to those who didn't make the Tour team, and maybe Gerrans/O'Grady for Worlds prep, maybe Dean and Docker in the mix if they have recovered and ready to race at that level.
 
Ferminal said:
Worlds TTT is a major objective so having one of their guns doing the Tour would rule them out of top form in September. Durbridge will probably take a rest after Dauphine and then do ENECO/Vuelta (first half)/Worlds. It also looks like Meyer is going to do something similar - even though he could make the Tour squad on merit it would push him to about 60 race days, hard to come back from that.

What are we looking at then?

Tour

Goss
Langeveld
O'Grady
Albasini
Weening
Gerrans

Three of: Lancaster, Impey, Cooke, Vaitkus, Sulzberger, Tuft

Vuelta

Davis
Clarke
Howard
Durbridge
Meyer

With the final places going to those who didn't make the Tour team, and maybe Gerrans/O'Grady for Worlds prep, maybe Dean and Docker in the mix if they have recovered and ready to race at that level.
Based on White's comments yesterday it sounds like they might be taking Cam to the Vuelta for a tilt at the overall. So I wonder if they are considering resting one of the better climbers to offer support there.

Le tour will be built around Goss (with so possible breakaway chances) so put Lancaster in there for the leadout and Tuft for the TT and to pull back breaks.
Then have Impey support Meyer in the Veulta
 
Ferminal said:
Worlds TTT is a major objective so having one of their guns doing the Tour would rule them out of top form in September. Durbridge will probably take a rest after Dauphine and then do ENECO/Vuelta (first half)/Worlds. It also looks like Meyer is going to do something similar - even though he could make the Tour squad on merit it would push him to about 60 race days, hard to come back from that.

What are we looking at then?

Tour

Goss
Langeveld
O'Grady
Albasini
Weening
Gerrans

Three of: Lancaster, Impey, Cooke, Vaitkus, Sulzberger, Tuft

Vuelta

Davis
Clarke
Howard
Durbridge
Meyer

With the final places going to those who didn't make the Tour team, and maybe Gerrans/O'Grady for Worlds prep, maybe Dean and Docker in the mix if they have recovered and ready to race at that level.
I read somewhere that 6 places are definite; Goss, Impey, Langeveld, Gerrans, O'Grady and Weening. This leaves 3 places. It would seem that Lancaster and Albasini will get 2 spots, which leaves Tuft, Vaitkus and Cooke looking at the last spot. Even Howard if he has a good Dauphine. Would be nice to see Howard join Impey and Lancaster in the lead out.
 
Durbridge may just be firming in calculations for one of the 2 Olympic TT spots. Gunna be a tough selection given he's up against Evans, Rogers, Porte & Cam Meyer but all bar Evans in that grouping fronted for this year's natl title & he beat them.

The London course may just be a little too flat for Porte & even Evans to right up there competing for "the coin" with the likes of Martin, Spartacus, Wiggins & whomever the US sends. Rogers is still capable of a very, very good TT (top 6-10) but his time at the pinnacle has passed.
 
dirkprovin said:
Durbridge may just be firming in calculations for one of the 2 Olympic TT spots. Gunna be a tough selection given he's up against Evans, Rogers, Porte & Cam Meyer but all bar Evans in that grouping fronted for this year's natl title & he beat them.

The London course may just be a little too flat for Porte & even Evans to right up there competing for "the coin" with the likes of Martin, Spartacus, Wiggins & whomever the US sends. Rogers is still capable of a very, very good TT (top 6-10) but his time at the pinnacle has passed.
Interestingly 4 of those 5 will race against each other tomorrow in the Dauphine. What distance is the Olympic TT?
 
Found it....44km (Olympic TT). Durbridge says that the 52km of the Dauphine will be his longest time trial. He beat all of the above (except Evans) at the Aussie Nationals over 38km. So it will be interesting to see how he goes over the 52km
 
It has been a pretty good week for OGE with great wins to Impey and Albasini, as well as Tuft (riding for Canadian National team). Along with that have been the efforts of Cooke, Alby and Alba to knock off Sagan. All have come very close but not quite there. Weening was also terrific, along with Durbridge at the Dauphine. So hopefully things are progressing pretty well for Le Tour. Probably the only one having a bit of a rocky run has been Gossy with his fall in Italy and then problems with the "runs" in Stage 2 of Slovenia. Very interesting and funny backstage passes, find the latest one from Stage 3 here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQXc_AcoHJk&feature=youtu.be
Great background and geography on Slovenia as well, great work on the backstage passes...they are a lot of fun to watch.

There is still no mention that I have seen of Albasini riding the TdF but it would seem like he has to be picked. Definites still seem to be;
Goss,
Lancaster,
Impey,
Gerrans,
Langeveld......has he recovered well enough since his crash?
O'Grady...........hopefully ok after his crash
Weening,
Albasini ??
Last spot...Meyer, Cooke, Davis, Vaitkus, Tuft, Howard, Sulzberger, Beppu
 
Probably take Tuft off that TdF list going by his interview on GE website after his time trial win at Beuce;

"Beyond Beauce, I’m really looking forward to racing the team time trial at the World Championships with ORICA-GreenEDGE. The team places a huge emphasis on the discipline, and it’s an objective around which I’m centering the second half of my season. Obviously, the Olympics have also been a huge focus. With Canada only having one spot, my participation in London is still up in the air. There’s definitely the hope that I’ll go, and I’m continuing to prepare as if I’ll be there.

Beyond these major goals, I’m looking to help out the boys at Eneco Tour, Plouay and Hamburg. Beauce has been a satisfying start to the second half of my season. I’m ready for everything that’s upcoming."
 
Probably take Tuft off that TdF list going by his interview on GE website after his time trial win at Beuce;

"Beyond Beauce, I’m really looking forward to racing the team time trial at the World Championships with ORICA-GreenEDGE. The team places a huge emphasis on the discipline, and it’s an objective around which I’m centering the second half of my season. Obviously, the Olympics have also been a huge focus. With Canada only having one spot, my participation in London is still up in the air. There’s definitely the hope that I’ll go, and I’m continuing to prepare as if I’ll be there.

Beyond these major goals, I’m looking to help out the boys at Eneco Tour, Plouay and Hamburg. Beauce has been a satisfying start to the second half of my season. I’m ready for everything that’s upcoming."
 
Wilba60 said:
It has been a pretty good week for OGE with great wins to Impey and Albasini, as well as Tuft (riding for Canadian National team). Along with that have been the efforts of Cooke, Alby and Alba to knock off Sagan. All have come very close but not quite there. Weening was also terrific, along with Durbridge at the Dauphine. So hopefully things are progressing pretty well for Le Tour. Probably the only one having a bit of a rocky run has been Gossy with his fall in Italy and then problems with the "runs" in Stage 2 of Slovenia. Very interesting and funny backstage passes, find the latest one from Stage 3 here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQXc_AcoHJk&feature=youtu.be
Great background and geography on Slovenia as well, great work on the backstage passes...they are a lot of fun to watch.

There is still no mention that I have seen of Albasini riding the TdF but it would seem like he has to be picked. Definites still seem to be;
Goss,
Lancaster,
Impey,
Gerrans,
Langeveld......has he recovered well enough since his crash?
O'Grady...........hopefully ok after his crash
Weening,
Albasini ??
Last spot...Meyer, Cooke, Davis, Vaitkus, Tuft, Howard, Sulzberger, Beppu
One of those I think.
 
Rupert Guiness in today's Age newspaper suggests the same team as we have speculated on and thinks the last position is out of Cooke and Davis. Vaitkus is out of the equation with a knee injury.
http://www.theage.com.au/sport/cycling/goss-has-green-boost-for-tour-20120617-20ibn.html

For anyone who is interested, I see that Greenedge the horse is back from a spell at Sandown (Melbourne) this Wednesday. From barrier 18 you wouldn't think it has a chance but Gerry Ryan won't have picked out a dud and it has won 2 from just 3 starts.


20 Jun 12 SANDOWN-LAKESIDE Race 07 - 03:30 1300m - Le Pine Funerals Hcp (68)
[LR: 166 days]

Wins Pl Starts: 2 (66.7%) - 0 (0.0%) - 3
WPS Last 12 mths: 0 (0.0%) - 0 (0.0%) - 1
Good Tracks: no starts
Dead Tracks: 1 (50.0%) - 0 (0.0%) - 2
Slow Tracks: 1 (100.0%) - 0 (0.0%) - 1
Heavy Tracks: no starts
All Weather: no starts
Distance +/-: no starts
Crs & Distance: no starts
 
Jan 11, 2010
12,582
0
0
After the Tirreno they seemed pretty keen on taking Cam Meyer to the Tour... but that guy seems to have collapsed since then.
 
theyoungest said:
After the Tirreno they seemed pretty keen on taking Cam Meyer to the Tour... but that guy seems to have collapsed since then.
JRanton said:
They'll probably take Cooke as he's a bit more versatile than Davis (grunt work/lead out train).

Weening, Gerrans and Albasini is a nice little group of stage hunters in addition to Goss in the sprints.
Cam had a pretty good ToC but then succumbed to the same bug that went around the GE team, Kroupis, Langeveld, Wilson all had stomach problems I believe. Cam had wanted to do a good time trial at Suisse, so he must have been pretty crook. Greenedge (forum member) still likes him for the 9th position.

Stephens had this to say after the Swiss Tour;

“We knew today wasn’t our day,” explained Stephens. “It was quite obvious at the start that Sebastian Langeveld had fallen victim to the gastro problem that has been circulating around our team. He pulled out in the first half of the race. Michael was fatigued after his fantastic effort yesterday, so we pulled him. Only Stuey [O’Grady] and Allan [Davis] rode to the finish – and they did that to get in some good kilometers ahead of their races in July.”

The last sentence there seems to say that they are doing different races, so if I am reading that right, Stuey is doing TdF and Alby Tour of Poland. Therefore I think you are right with Cooke as the 9th man.
 
Hopefully it still features the green and black colours, plus the Jayco on the rear of the knicks which makes it easy to pick them out from the helicopter shots.

How many different teams has Stuey represented in this his 16th consecutive TdF? What a great effort as well in making his 6th Olympic team.
 
Jul 30, 2009
1,621
0
0


from the uci website c/o inrng (don't think it should have been released so soon, as it has since been removed..)

Basically, a bit like movistar
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY