• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

[Green Edge] Shayne Bannan, Gerry Ryan and an Aussie Pro Team for 2012?

Page 98 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
What a great Vuelta for the team and what a group of great editions of Backstage Pass. After having the first week off on a holiday (and missing the stage win for Yatesy) Dan Jones arrived back to capture some great footage and emotion. The Stage 20 highlights are fascinating as they capture Keuky hatching the grand plan with Neil Stephens at the car window. Later Stephens discusses the plan on radio with the team and it nearly doesn't eventuate. Also amazing to see them pass Howson on the final climb who is absolutely knack erred after pacing Chavez. Finishes with a very emotional Chavez catching up with the whole team in the bus. A Backstage Pass that rivals the TDF yellow jersey win after that great TTT.

Just heard they won the final stage into Madrid. Great tour for the whole team.

Re: Re:

42x16ss said:
yaco said:
Don't forget OBE have Haig ( done a a fantastic job to finish a GT in Year 1 ) and Power ( just returned after a long term injury ) as climbers, as well as one likely addition to join.
Even if they don't take another young Australian this year they still have Carlos Verona coming in along with Kreuziger.

At this point, their 3 main unsigned riders are Howson, Impey & Durbridge. There is also Cheung (Hkg) who's status is anyone's guess but they haven't retained previous Asian 1 year/short termers and Schultz (stagiare).

Going on Howson's performances at both Giro & Vuelta plus his post race reactions; its fair to say that he will be staying and probably with a nice pay rise.

Impey has continued to deliver first rate value every year, be it key support riding in major races or bringing in wins/high finishes. He has been one foreign rider who has made himself completely at home at this team and his riding in support of Yates at this year's Tour indicates that he should remain a key component going forward. He MAY receive some offers but it would be a surprise for him to leave an environment where he continues to be valued and be successful.

Durbridge is the one potential question mark. There are strong arguments to be made for both him staying and leaving. His engine for the flatlands will continue to be be valuable for the team in GTs and his ride at PR shows that the potential to do well in the cobbled races remains. However, to date, those results have yet to emerge in top bracket races and he may well find himself remaining lower on the "totem pole" at this team for these races behind Kekeleire & Cort. Will he receive greater precedence at other teams ... who knows ?

Power has lost 85% of this season so 2017 will essentially be his first year but one suspects that even mildly positive outings will see him get another 2 years. Edmondson lost close to half of the season to track commitments but he did put out some rather interesting showings in 2nd tier races in the north of France during May.

Haig's neo pro year has, prior to the Vuelta, been low-key albeit impressive but he can walk away from his first GT with a great deal to be happy with. Not only finishing it but finishing it strongly and being a key component of each of the two big set-pieces executed by the team.

Re: [Green Edge] Shayne Bannan, Gerry Ryan and an Aussie Pro

yaco said:
swuzzlebubble said:
Would like to see Chaves & 2 x Yates in the team together for all all-in effort at L'Tour
Maybe have a sprint & stage wins focused team for Giro or Vuelta to give Ewan proper support in a GT and not expect the GC guys to cover the three GT?

My understanding is that both Yates and Chavez will do 2 GT's in 2016 - Suppose all 3 could do the TDF. if Kreuziger rides for GC at the Vuelta or the Giro - Though, I understand Kreuziger has other targets - Anyway rider schedules are a moving feast.

Well, Chaves did. Neither of the Yates' did. Only Adam rode the Tour.
Did you perhaps mean 2017?

RedheadDane said:
yaco said:
swuzzlebubble said:
Would like to see Chaves & 2 x Yates in the team together for all all-in effort at L'Tour
Maybe have a sprint & stage wins focused team for Giro or Vuelta to give Ewan proper support in a GT and not expect the GC guys to cover the three GT?

My understanding is that both Yates and Chavez will do 2 GT's in 2016 - Suppose all 3 could do the TDF. if Kreuziger rides for GC at the Vuelta or the Giro - Though, I understand Kreuziger has other targets - Anyway rider schedules are a moving feast.

Well, Chaves did. Neither of the Yates' did. Only Adam rode the Tour.
Did you perhaps mean 2017?

Yes 2017

So Gerry Ryan stated that OBE didn't wish to meet Matthew's salary depends - OBE has thrown their full support behind Matthews all through 2016 - At least we can put to bed the rumour there was a falling out between Matthews and Gerrans.

It will be interesting to see who will be OBE's leader in the TDU which of course is an important race in their calendar - Doubt Gerrans will get the gig as he is now the road captain - Impey was tried two years ago with limited success - Could it be Kreuziger or S.Yates ?

Re:

yaco said:
So Gerry Ryan stated that OBE didn't wish to meet Matthew's salary depends - OBE has thrown their full support behind Matthews all through 2016 - At least we can put to bed the rumour there was a falling out between Matthews and Gerrans.

It will be interesting to see who will be OBE's leader in the TDU which of course is an important race in their calendar - Doubt Gerrans will get the gig as he is now the road captain - Impey was tried two years ago with limited success - Could it be Kreuziger or S.Yates ?
Probably one last hurrah for Gerrans, otherwise Albasini or possibly even Simon Yates to see how he goes as a GC leader. It might be too soon for Verona or Haig to lead.

It's too early in the season for Chaves, Adam Yates, Kreuziger, Howson and Plaza, those guys will have enough race days later. The TDU has been raced pretty hard the last few years.

swuzzlebubble said:
Haig or maybe Rob Power?
Chaves for SunTour

Categorical NO to both, frankly ludicrous, suggestions. Haig has had an excellent neo-pro year but OBE will careful not to burn him out too early or overload him with expectations. Power has essentially lost this entire season so 2017 will be, in reality, his neo-pro year and he won't be "leader" at any major races.Maybe at some 2nd tier races at some point during the year if he's showing some good form.

Despite some statements from Gerry Ryan a while ago that Chaves would race in AUS; OBE is far too professional to make the unforgivable error of compromising the season goals and preparation of their prime asset just for promotion in the team's home market. Ditto for the Yates twins.

Until the exact routes for all of next year's GTs are announced, their schedules (like all other GT contenders) are likely to be up in the air. However, its questionable that they will drag any of these three riders out to an Australian summer especially when it's unlikely to be complementary to their season's prime objectives.

42x16ss said:
yaco said:

Probably one last hurrah for Gerrans, otherwise Albasini or possibly even Simon Yates to see how he goes as a GC leader. It might be too soon for Verona or Haig to lead.

It's too early in the season for Chaves, Adam Yates, Kreuziger, Howson and Plaza, those guys will have enough race days later. The TDU has been raced pretty hard the last few years.

Howson rode nationals and Herald Sun last year, he would be the most plausible of that bunch. Impey was the designated leader/GC rider in 2015 due to Gerrans being out. Not seeing S.Yates racing down here unless he decides to do a block of (very) warm weather training down in AUS during the summer .... not sure he's the biggest fan of the heat ! If Gerrans' form is good, they may indeed cede him "status" for this race as "pay-off" for his change in status for the remainder of the season.

42x16ss said:
yaco said:

This is false. Just because they didn't match his salary demands, doesn't mean there wasn't a genuine riff between the two riders. During the tour, on one of the podcasts, a commentator said they were at odds. Which was suspected ever since last year's Worlds.

To the credit of OBE, they have done a superior job building their team. Letting go riders who either don't fit their program or don't fit their budget. It is the sign of a smart staff. Everyone isn't going to get paid. Also, it looks like OBE has a stable of excellent sprinters. So if by letting him go causes more harmony in the team - then that's a good thing.

Kwibus said:
swuzzlebubble said:

Why are so many people so focused on the Tour....
They got 3 riders that could possibly win an GT in the near future and my guess none of them can win the TdF right now. So I understand that Orica wants atleast 1 of them at the TdF and my guess they will probably send 2 of them, the Yates twins.

If I were them I would focus more on trying to win the Giro or Vuelta with these guys. Atleast there is a chance of winning them.

Once you got 1 of them in the bag it's time to put more resources trying to win the TdF, but I don't think they will. Orica has upset more in the past though.

Really intelligent post. Right now Froome/Quintana are well ahead of the other riders. Additionally, Sky's Tour team was absolutely dominate. See if OBE can bag the Giro or Vuelta. Once you get one of those, then marshal the forces towards the big cheese.

WildspokeJoe said:
42x16ss said:
yaco said:

This is false. Just because they didn't match his salary demands, doesn't mean there wasn't a genuine riff between the two riders. During the tour, on one of the podcasts, a commentator said they were at odds. Which was suspected ever since last year's Worlds.

To the credit of OBE, they have done a superior job building their team. Letting go riders who either don't fit their program or don't fit their budget. It is the sign of a smart staff. Everyone isn't going to get paid. Also, it looks like OBE has a stable of excellent sprinters. So if by letting him go causes more harmony in the team - then that's a good thing.

The truth, probably, lies somewhere in between. There was almost certainly some discord between them but it could have been "handled" going forward had Matthews not chosen to take the Giant offer.

Gerrans contract finishes at the end of 2017 and we are already seeing that he is transitioning to a different role. Whether he actually goes on for another couple of years after this ... who knows ? At most, Gerrans may be "leader" for TdU next year but after that, his role is likely to be support. In any case, they could quite easily have been given differing race schedules.

How the Giant move will work out for Matthews .... again unknowable at this point. The pay cheque may be better and he have clear precedence but will he be given the level of support that he has received at OBE may be open to question. Could there be a return at some point ... again unknown but its far from unknown for riders to return to former teams.

As for sprinters, I think its quite clear that OBE is moving right away from bunch sprinting but rather looking at developing classics riders. The only outright bunch sprinter currently on their books is Ewan but going forward, I'm sceptical that he will be a suitable fit especially for GTs where the prime focus will be GC and where they cannot afford to divert resources for the leadout train he requires.

He also lacks survivability in the mountains thus meaning he's highly unlikely to go full distance of a GT nor does he have the versalitity/power to be an effective domestique that the likes of Cort, Keukeleire (for that matter Matthews) offer. It would be nice if he could develop such capacity over the next 2 years but I'm sceptical.

I think this Vuelta brought Cort's talent and potential front and centre to a wider audience; not just his 2 stage victories but his key roles in the two big tactical moves executed by the team. Whilst its likely he will field offers, he seems to be another international rider who's thriving in this team environment and I see him being a prime asset that they will not be wanting to let go at the end of next year.

dirkprovin said:
WildspokeJoe said:
42x16ss said:
yaco said:

How the Giant move will work out for Matthews .... again unknowable at this point. The pay cheque may be better and he have clear precedence but will he be given the level of support that he has received at OBE may be open to question. Could there be a return at some point ... again unknown but its far from unknown for riders to return to former teams.
Matthew's problem is always going to be Sagan. They target the same sort of classic races, and Sagan is simply better and is going to win far more often than not. OBE might have just made the call it wasn't worth investing significant money that isn't going to get the results the desire and channel it more effectively.

claude cat said:
swuzzlebubble said:
Haig or maybe Rob Power?
Chaves for SunTour
Chaves or Adam Yates for the SunTour like Froome did this year. Might make sense.
Of course you have Cadel's race which is now WT, so they might have a decent crack at it this year.

I doubt Chaves or Yates will be at the Sun Tour as the circumstances just aren't the same, the only reason Froome was at the race this year is that the Sun Tour is a newscorp race so he was racing at the request of his teams sponsor and that's the only reason he was at the race, it made no sense as far as season prep went. It's a great little race and the parcours available in Victoria are so much more varied than what we see in Adelaide with the TDU but in the end it's only a small race and not a high priority for OBE, that's why I doubt we'd see them send the teams GC leaders to it.

Chavez at this stage is racing in OZ this summer, unless something changes, which is always a possibility - My understanding is Chavez will ride the Herald Sun Tour which did no harm to Froome's season - Cadel Evans Road race is also a possibility - It's likely Froome could do the same.

How appetising having Froome and Chavez riding up Arthur's Hill and Sagan riding at the TDU - Awesome !

Re:

yaco said:
Chavez at this stage is racing in OZ this summer, unless something changes, which is always a possibility - My understanding is Chavez will ride the Herald Sun Tour which did no harm to Froome's season - Cadel Evans Road race is also a possibility - It's likely Froome could do the same.

How appetising having Froome and Chavez riding up Arthur's Hill and Sagan riding at the TDU - Awesome !

Sorry but I'm with Stryder on this one. I totally "get" the emotional case for bringing Chaves out to AUS where he most certainly has built up a significant fan base. The comments be Gerry Ryan were made some time back when they were thinking "Chaves to next year's Tour" but even Chaves has been walking that back and saying "lets wait and see what the routes are like".

I'd love to see the little guy out here and that he, himself, would like to come out here to ride at some point but this is professional sport and OBE have shown their own professionalism with the 2015 TDU by NOT compromising the likes of Matthews or the Yates by changing their schedules to ride it when Gerrans was sidelined.

Sagan has early season targets for which riding TDU is not counterproductive, a very different case

claude cat said:
dirkprovin said:
WildspokeJoe said:
42x16ss said:
yaco said:

Matthew's problem is always going to be Sagan. They target the same sort of classic races, and Sagan is simply better and is going to win far more often than not. OBE might have just made the call it wasn't worth investing significant money that isn't going to get the results the desire and channel it more effectively.

I can agree with this. Quite similar skill sets but Sagan likely more often than not to come out on top with Matthews the bridesmaid. Sagan also the more daring/willing to mix it in bunch sprints whereas Matthews backs off.

Fair call in hindsight. Whilst Matthews may indeed snag a significant one dayer along the line and may even a MSR; he's more likely to come up short more often than not. Worth being paid good $$$ but probably not the top $$$ he may've been asking

dirkprovin said:
yaco said:

Sorry but I'm with Stryder on this one. I totally "get" the emotional case for bringing Chaves out to AUS where he most certainly has built up a significant fan base. The comments be Gerry Ryan were made some time back when they were thinking "Chaves to next year's Tour" but even Chaves has been walking that back and saying "lets wait and see what the routes are like".

I'd love to see the little guy out here and that he, himself, would like to come out here to ride at some point but this is professional sport and OBE have shown their own professionalism with the 2015 TDU by NOT compromising the likes of Matthews or the Yates by changing their schedules to ride it when Gerrans was sidelined.

Sagan has early season targets for which riding TDU is not counterproductive, a very different case

claude cat said:
dirkprovin said:
WildspokeJoe said:
yaco said:

I can agree with this. Quite similar skill sets but Sagan likely more often than not to come out on top with Matthews the bridesmaid. Sagan also the more daring/willing to mix it in bunch sprints whereas Matthews backs off.

Fair call in hindsight. Whilst Matthews may indeed snag a significant one dayer along the line and may even a MSR; he's more likely to come up short more often than not. Worth being paid good $$$ but probably not the top $$$ he may've been asking
To be fair to Matthews, his palmares could be a fair bit better if it wasn't for the beast that is Sagan. Matthews is probably the closest rider to Sagan in the peloton in all round ability.

dirkprovin said:
42x16ss said:
yaco said:
Don't forget OBE have Haig ( done a a fantastic job to finish a GT in Year 1 ) and Power ( just returned after a long term injury ) as climbers, as well as one likely addition to join.
Even if they don't take another young Australian this year they still have Carlos Verona coming in along with Kreuziger.

At this point, their 3 main unsigned riders are Howson, Impey & Durbridge. There is also Cheung (Hkg) who's status is anyone's guess but they haven't retained previous Asian 1 year/short termers and Schultz (stagiare).

Going on Howson's performances at both Giro & Vuelta plus his post race reactions; its fair to say that he will be staying and probably with a nice pay rise.
Howson is riding with OBE through to 2018 according the the latest article on their website (two-year contract extension).

http://www.greenedgecycling.com/news/howson-hones-climbing-skills-to-be-a-key-contributor-for-orica-bikeexchange

StryderHells said:
claude cat said:
swuzzlebubble said:
Haig or maybe Rob Power?
Chaves for SunTour
Chaves or Adam Yates for the SunTour like Froome did this year. Might make sense.
Of course you have Cadel's race which is now WT, so they might have a decent crack at it this year.

I doubt Chaves or Yates will be at the Sun Tour as the circumstances just aren't the same, the only reason Froome was at the race this year is that the Sun Tour is a newscorp race so he was racing at the request of his teams sponsor and that's the only reason he was at the race, it made no sense as far as season prep went. It's a great little race and the parcours available in Victoria are so much more varied than what we see in Adelaide with the TDU but in the end it's only a small race and not a high priority for OBE, that's why I doubt we'd see them send the teams GC leaders to it.

Actually I think Froome is set to return to the Sun Tour in 2017. It does suit his season prep because he arrives a couple of weeks before the race to train in good weather and then heads off to South Africa after the race (again for warm weather training). When he's in Europe at that time of the year he normally gets sick.

JRanton said:
StryderHells said:
claude cat said:
swuzzlebubble said:
Haig or maybe Rob Power?
Chaves for SunTour

Actually I think Froome is set to return to the Sun Tour in 2017. It does suit his season prep because he arrives a couple of weeks before the race to train in good weather and then heads off to South Africa after the race (again for warm weather training). When he's in Europe at that time of the year he normally gets sick.

I didn't say he wouldn't return to race the Sun Tour but let's not confuse the main reason as to why he raced it this season which is Newscorp, the race is sponsored by Newscorp and Froome being at the race ensured more media coverage of the race by more media outlets than what normally happens where the race is only covered in the horrible tabloid that sponsors the race and SBS who is the only media who actually pays attention to cycling in this country. My main point was that the race isn't a high priority for OBE for the reasons stated above, now if Chaves did turn up I wont be complaining

Whilst Herald Sun Tour is clearly not a primary season goal for OBE, in all fairness they don't "high-hat" it either. They'll normally send a serious enough team and use it as a run-out for super-domestiques or younger riders in a lead role. Also Gerry Ryan's commerical interests have a major sponsorship role (Jayco).

Re:

yaco said:
Dirk could be onto something with Durbridge - Not on the entry list for the Eneco Tour in which he could have a crack at GC,especially seeing there are two TT's in the race.
Very strange, it's his type of race. Having said that, Durbridge rode a full classics season along with the Giro and Tour. Is he racing at Worlds?

TRENDING THREADS