• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

[Green Edge] Shayne Bannan, Gerry Ryan and an Aussie Pro Team for 2012?

Page 101 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Team wise for the Giro/TDF I'd go:
Chaves, Howson, Plaza, Verona, Amets, Haig,Cort, Hepburn, Keukeleire/Juul Jensen
Yates x2, Kreuziger, Impey along with Ewan, Kluge, Mezgec, Durbridge, Hayman/Tuft/Albasini/Gerrans.
Howson probably deserves the opportunity to ride the TDF but I think unless if OBE switched him for Kreuziger he'll ride the Giro. The Giro squad has added capacity with Howson and Haig's improvements, while Verona should be able to be up there. In all they'd be as strong as Bahrain, but way below Astana.

Re:

greenedge said:
Chaves, Howson, Plaza, Verona, Amets, Haig,Cort, Hepburn, Keukeleire/Juul Jensen
Yates x2, Kreuziger, Impey along with Ewan, Kluge, Mezgec, Durbridge, Hayman/Tuft/Albasini/Gerrans.
Howson probably deserves the opportunity to ride the TDF but I think unless if OBE switched him for Kreuziger he'll ride the Giro. The Giro squad has added capacity with Howson and Haig's improvements, while Verona should be able to be up there. In all they'd be as strong as Bahrain, but way below Astana.

Txurruka is leaving Orica, I'm almost sure of that.

Re: Re:

yaco said:
Alexandre B. said:
Chaves will do the Giro, according to an interview with DeportesRCN.
(I didn't find anything on their site, but here's my source : http://www.cyclingpro.net/velopro/road/esteban-chaves-coche-le-giro-2017)

So the Yates will probably do the Tour and Chaves will race the Vuelta afterwards.

Don't be surprised if Kreuzeger is a priority at the TDF as the parcours suits his characteristics - Definitely one of the Yates will ride the TDF but no certainty both will - No big surprise that Chavez rides the Giro as he has a good record in Italy. Chavez will be very popular when he rides in Australia and of course it is good for OBE's brand.

Suit Kreuziger's characteristics.. you also stated it suited Dumoulin. Who doesn't like this route then?

For future reference, its also Chaves, Chavez is the commy!

yaco said:
Alexandre B. said:
(I didn't find anything on their site, but here's my source : http://www.cyclingpro.net/velopro/road/esteban-chaves-coche-le-giro-2017)

So the Yates will probably do the Tour and Chaves will race the Vuelta afterwards.

Don't be surprised if Kreuzeger is a priority at the TDF as the parcours suits his characteristics - Definitely one of the Yates will ride the TDF but no certainty both will - No big surprise that Chavez rides the Giro as he has a good record in Italy. Chavez will be very popular when he rides in Australia and of course it is good for OBE's brand.

No way OBE would give leadership to Kreuziger over one or both the Yates at the TDF, if the TDF route suits Kreuziger then it suits both the Yates boys just as much if not more so.

Re:

greenedge said:
It would be kind of cool to see Orica put all their eggs in one basket and try to take the fight straight to Sky at the Tour, from a curiosity point of view anyway.

A team with:

Chaves
2 x Yates
Kreuziger
Plaza
Howson
Verona
Durbridge
Keukeleire/Hayman

would be pretty sweet to watch. Too bad that it would be suicide with the other two GTs:lol:

Even Sky and Movistar would be concerned about a lineup like that.

StryderHells said:
yaco said:
Alexandre B. said:

No way OBE would give leadership to Kreuziger over one or both the Yates at the TDF, if the TDF route suits Kreuziger then it suits both the Yates boys just as much if not more so.

yes, for sure. Actually I think the TdF route suits the Yates very well.
Kreuziger will be there in support.

claude cat said:
StryderHells said:
yaco said:
Alexandre B. said:

yes, for sure. Actually I think the TdF route suits the Yates very well.
Kreuziger will be there in support.
Yes, Kreuziger is there as a superdom/backup GC and a mentor. IMO he'll be paired with either Chaves or Adam Yates for almost the whole season.

42x16ss said:
[quote="

A team with:

Chaves
2 x Yates
Kreuziger
Plaza
Howson
Verona
Durbridge
Keukeleire/Hayman

would be pretty sweet to watch. Too bad that it would be suicide with the other two GTs:lol:

Yeah i agree, it would be a real threat (I'd add Impey over Verona just for all-round versatility). Hopefully both squads can continue to rise to the task.

Ricco' said:
greenedge said:

Txurruka is leaving Orica, I'm almost sure of that.

Oh thanks for saying! In that case I'd slot in one of Albasini (road captain), Power (although it would be his first GT) or Kreuziger or a Yates.

Fair enough call for Chaves to stick with the Giro/Vuelta for at least this year. As yet OBE is not at the level of being able to give UK Postal's Tour outfit major problems as against their Giro or Vuelta line-ups. I certainly hope they do NOT bring Chaves to race in AUS early season; why screw with what has been working for him ??

I doubt Tuft will be sent to any GTs this year as he is in the final year of this contract, he's nudging 39 and was starting to show it during this season. Would expect him to retire at the end of 2017.

Hayman will also go off contract and is a likely retirement candidate but I would expect him to go to at least one GT; the issue is which and will it be the case that OBE actually sends its strongest GT line-up to the Giro/Vuelta in support of their number one man rather than to the Tour ?

Both Gerrans and Albasini also go off contract at the end of 2017 and they may/may not continue but both clearly have the capacity to make significant team contributions which Gerrans, to his credit, clearly demonstrated at both Tour and Vuelta. Whilst they will both still have some Ardennes aspirations, I doubt that they will both go to the same GT. Maybe Gerrans do the Giro/Vuelta ?

Howson will almost certainly mirror Chaves given their proven rapport. For the hard flatland grunt work; agree with Hepburn to Giro & Durbridge to Tour. Maybe Kluge may get a run-out in one GT in such a role ? Plaza .... probably Giro, hard to know about other races

Kreuziger will more likely take the Tour as most likely will Impey. The latter will most certainly be as a super-domestique (where he shone at 2016 Tour). As for Kreuziger, it may depend on how the team chooses to go with the Yates twins. WILL they send them as a duo to the same GT or will they be open to splitting them and sending one as B option to Chaves at one of the others ? Early season may tell us more

Hard to know with Verona until we see some early season showings. Keukeleire to Vuelta .... definitely but not sure about Giro if he's done a full cobbles series. Haig showed well at the Vuelta which he finished. Which GT he goes to is likely to hinge on how well he backs up second season.

Whilst even up to 2016 Giro; OBE used to have the luxury of being able to send young riders out in GTs for experience and then withdraw them; likewise with sprinters. That leeway no longer, realistically, exists given they are now in a position of starting each GT with serious podium prospects. They can no longer afford to "voluntarily" go one man down by half distance.

Therefore, I'm uncertain that Power (who essentially had his neo-pro season "wiped out") will necessarily get a GT start in 2017. Maybe, if he shows up well. Likewise Ewan, who has zero survivability/hopes of finishing a hard GT. Other fast guys like Cort, Mezgec, even Kluge, have survivability and legitimate utility as domestiques .... he has none so whilst there is an outside chance he MAY fluke an early stage win; is the price-tag of going one man down worth it ??

OBE selection for the three GT's will be an interesting exercise - Chavez as the top banana will get the best support team in the Giro and the Vuelta - Expect that team to include Bewley/Tuft/Howson/Keukeliere/Plaza/Haig/Verona and possibly one of the Yates - Now if OBE are fair dinkum about GC, then Ewan will ride the TDF, seeing it has a suitable parcours, and also taking into account his limited capacity to contribute to the team in other ways - The TDF squad will have a mixture of Yates boys and Kreuzeger riding for GC as well as trusty lieutenants like Durbridge, Gerrans or Impey who could sneak a stage win and riders for the flat like Hepburn or Hayman - Cort or Albasini could be wildcards.

StryderHells said:
yaco said:
Alexandre B. said:

OBE tends to be flexible in the first week of Grand Tours - Keep the GC riders out of trouble, don't lose time, and then see what unfolds - Anyway as previously posted my guess is Kreuzeger will target one week hilly stage races which is a weakness in OBE's palmares and of course he is always competitive in the Ardennes.

StryderHells said:
yaco said:
Alexandre B. said:

You are reading too much into my post about Kreuzeger - It was more along the lines that my guess is Kreuzeger is a lock to ride the TDF, seeing Chaves is riding the Giro - I can't see Kreuzeger being part of Chavez team - Of course, I could be wrong.

It's also interesting that OBE only made three changes to their roster - In Verona,Kluge, Kreuzeger - Out Meier, Matthews and Tzurruka - Suggests the team is happy with their line up for 2017, though their could be 5 to 7 changes the following season.

Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
Kreuziger seems wasted on the Tour, he could make a real difference in the Giro with Chaves going for the win. Yates aren't exactly shooting for the top step yet, so what would be his purpose in being just another number popped off the Sky train.

42x16ss said:
It would be kind of cool to see Orica put all their eggs in one basket and try to take the fight straight to Sky at the Tour, from a curiosity point of view anyway.

A team with:

Chaves
2 x Yates
Kreuziger
Plaza
Howson
Verona
Durbridge
Keukeleire/Hayman

I'd rather see them try something like this at the Giro
And then structure the Tour leadership around how things play out at the Giro

Bewley will almost certainly do both Giro & Vuelta, given he tends to operate as Chaves' flatland "protector". Not sure Tuft will go to any of this year's GTs (maybe one at most) given he is almost certainly retiring at the end of the year and was finding the going tough this past season. Hepburn likely to be the other big flatland engine for Giro at least.

Gerrans will obviously be "the man" for TDU, maybe Cuddles race but once it gets to Europe; one suspects it will mostly be a support role with perhaps Amstel being the exception. Whilst both he and Albasini have traditionally rode TDF together; I'm not certain this will continue as the team may be looking to utlise both of them as "old heads" for the various GT campaigns. Hayman will be utlised in such a role for at least one GT but both Gerrans & Albasini also add greater "survivability" over more terrain.

How OBE splits duties for the cobbled season will also impact who goes to which GTs. Whilst Hayman will most certainly be given precedence for PR, it is quite likely that he will collect his superannuation at the end of the season leaving the likes of Keukeleire, Cort & Durbridge as the main men for these races. Durbridge probably posseses the biggest engine of the three but the other two have superiority when the road goes upwards and the potential to snag the odd sprint. Both Cort & Keukeleire go off contract at the end of the year; will be interesting to see how the team plots out their seasons as they will obviously wish to retain both of them .... and the late 2016 showings from both may well have attracted some attention from other teams

Escarabajo said:
18-Valve. (pithy) said:
yaco said:
So Chavez no certainty to ride the Giro - We'll have to redo our squads for each of the GT's.
Does Chaves have the mental fortitude to race the Tour as a leader? He does seem a bit too content to stick with the Giro - Vuelta double (for now). And next year's Giro doesn't really suit him that well.
He will never know until he tries.

One peak reason for targetting Giro & Vuelta ahead of the Tour is that of avoiding the UK Postal juggernaut that has "steam-rolled" all others for the past 5 Tours (bar 2014 where Froome crashed out). Postal's approach to the other 2 GTs has tended to be far more haphazard and their line-ups far less "stacked".

I DO agree that the 2017 Giro doesn't read "ready made Chaves" on paper and he may well end up riding the Tour. I ; just think that the other 2 GTs have tended to be more open/less prone to "mugging into submission" by one all powerful team thus more advantageous to a contender from a team that is now "competitive" in such circumstances but not against the juggernaut.

I very much doubt Chaves has the capacity to attack and distance himself from the Sky-train, Poels in particular. Bardet couldn't, Aru certainly couldn't, well, nobody could. Best case scenario for him would be a rather anonymously podium - really hope he chooses Giro/Vuelta and let Adam Yates Zubeldia himself to a good GC-placing in France.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
I very much doubt Chaves has the capacity to attack and distance himself from the Sky-train, Poels in particular. Bardet couldn't, Aru certainly couldn't, well, nobody could. Best case scenario for him would be a rather anonymously podium - really hope he chooses Giro/Vuelta and let Adam Yates Zubeldia himself to a good GC-placing in France.

At this point in time, I would have to agree. Maybe this may change if/when Froome begins the downhill slide but, barring another 2014 scenario, TDF looks likely to remain UK Postal "muggings". In the less controlled Giro & Vuelta; OBE has the freedom and has shown the capacity to be able to carry out bold strategic moves ..... far less likely at the Tour

For Chaves it mostly depends on if he improves or not. If he doesn't, I don't see him beating Nibali on that Giro parcours either, so he may be looking at podium at best there too. But then podiuming the Tour is harder and winning the Tour is harder should he get better as well.

dirkprovin said:
Valv.Piti said:

At this point in time, I would have to agree. Maybe this may change if/when Froome begins the downhill slide but, barring another 2014 scenario, TDF looks likely to remain UK Postal "muggings". In the less controlled Giro & Vuelta; OBE has the freedom and has shown the capacity to be able to carry out bold strategic moves ..... far less likely at the Tour

At the moment its irrelevant which GT Chavez rides because he will still get OBE's best GC result at a GT and will get the number one support team - The two Yates probably need two more years to reach Chaves' level - So my guess is OBE will go where they will achieve the best result - Chaves should go well in the Giro TT's comparatively to the other GC contenders, especially the first longer TT which has a rolling terrain.

TRENDING THREADS