• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

[Green Edge] Shayne Bannan, Gerry Ryan and an Aussie Pro Team for 2012?

Page 102 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
If Orica want to really endear themselves to cycling fans they should ignore the Giro and just throw the kitchen sink at the Tour. With so few TT mileage, Sky will have to follow attacks from the Yates and Chaves. If Trek and Movi can work them over as well I think that Sky can be cracked, even with the best rider and team on board.

Re:

carton said:
If Orica want to really endear themselves to cycling fans they should ignore the Giro and just throw the kitchen sink at the Tour. With so few TT mileage, Sky will have to follow attacks from the Yates and Chaves. If Trek and Movi can work them over as well I think that Sky can be cracked, even with the best rider and team on board.

That is the wrong team for that type of approach - You need to make mountainous stages tough from the beginning to burn out Sky's domestiques and make their climbers suffer on the flat - You achieve this with a team that has a maximum of three or 4 climbers with the remaining riders a mixture of flat riders and rouleurs - A perfect example of this approach is OBE's attack on stage 20 of the Vuelta - It is doable because a team only needs to do it 5 or 6 times in a GT and if oone or two teams have the same attitude then the workload is shared.The other stages where its hard to find time gaps, take care of themselves with sprinter's teams and stage hunters.

I really do hope Orica go to the Tour with Chaves, twin Yates , Kreuziger, Verona and alot of power for the flat stages ....I think they could be the only team to take on the SKY train ....especially with 2 placed high on GC

They may not win the Tour but they could certainly open it up , get a podium and lay the ground work for a future Tour win..Chaves may not beat Nibali or Aru or Landa or SK in the Giro as the course is not as well suited to him as the the Tour 2017 ...So he already has a Giro podium why not go to the Tour and lay out your stall and learn how to ride this race ...if you are serious about wining it ..at some stage...remember those short steep climbs and lack of TT suits him

It is possible OBE could maybe stop Froome wining and inadvertently help Quintana

Buy can you imagine how popular the team would be if they opened up the race and broke SKys strangle hold on the Tour

For me the 2 Yates , Kreuz and Verona can be as strong as the SKY train, esp if also rotated ...but would need to be in top form

Re:

Red Rick said:
For Chaves it mostly depends on if he improves or not. If he doesn't, I don't see him beating Nibali on that Giro parcours either, so he may be looking at podium at best there too. But then podiuming the Tour is harder and winning the Tour is harder should he get better as well.
I can see Chaves beating Nibali at next years Giro, OBE have proven this season they are a quality, cohesive team riding with confidence whilst Nibali will be riding for a new team of hastily gathered mercenaries who might struggle to gel together in time for the Giro, also if Nibali isn't on top form he won't have riders like Scarponi to drag him up the mountains until he rediscovers it like he did in this years race.

Re:

HelloDolly said:
I really do hope Orica go to the Tour with Chaves, twin Yates , Kreuziger, Verona and alot of power for the flat stages ....I think they could be the only team to take on the SKY train ....especially with 2 placed high on GC

They may not win the Tour but they could certainly open it up , get a podium and lay the ground work for a future Tour win..Chaves may not beat Nibali or Aru or Landa or SK in the Giro as the course is not as well suited to him as the the Tour 2017 ...So he already has a Giro podium why not go to the Tour and lay out your stall and learn how to ride this race ...if you are serious about wining it ..at some stage...remember those short steep climbs and lack of TT suits him

It is possible OBE could maybe stop Froome wining and inadvertently help Quintana

Buy can you imagine how popular the team would be if they opened up the race and broke SKys strangle hold on the Tour

For me the 2 Yates , Kreuz and Verona can be as strong as the SKY train, esp if also rotated ...but would need to be in top form
The other caveat here would be having Stephens as the head DS. Chaves truly respects and responds to him, and Stephens is also one of (if not the) sharpest racing minds getting around.

Re: Re:

42x16ss said:
yaco said:
Scarponi said:
yaco said:
Anyway confirmed that Hayman will not ride the TDU - Will be watching Storer and Hindley ( where possible ) in 2017, as one should end up at OBE in 2018.

What no disrespect what is the meaning to Hayman missing TDU?

Tour Down Under - Wife is expecting in january.
He doesn't usually ride it anyway :confused:

Hayman has ridden the last 9 editions of the TDU.

Re:

yaco said:
Will be watching Storer and Hindley ( where possible ) in 2017, as one should end up at OBE in 2018.

I think Storer is the bigger talent of the two, he's still very young only being 19 and won't turn 20 until Feb so he might end up spending another 2 seasons in the under 23's unless he has a big one next season. Hindley really impressed this season and looks to be racing in Europe full time next season as he's leaving his local Oz squad at seasons end. They both looks like top prospects at this stage and it's good to see Australia producing young GC/Climbing types (Haig, Power, Hamilton x2, Howson, Canty) after years of only really producing Sprinters and Testers.

StryderHells said:
yaco said:
Will be watching Storer and Hindley ( where possible ) in 2017, as one should end up at OBE in 2018.

I think Storer is the bigger talent of the two, he's still very young only being 19 and won't turn 20 until Feb so he might end up spending another 2 seasons in the under 23's unless he has a big one next season. Hindley really impressed this season and looks to be racing in Europe full time next season as he's leaving his local Oz squad at seasons end. They both looks like top prospects at this stage and it's good to see Australia producing young GC/Climbing types (Haig, Power, Hamilton x2, Howson, Canty) after years of only really producing Sprinters and Testers.

Have to think with the re-introduction of the Baby Giro in 2017, that the Aussie National team will get an invite, especially after their outstanding performance at the 2016 L'Avenir - You'd expect both to be in the team.

If only the talent identification experts could women who can climb.

Re:

yaco said:
StryderHells said:
yaco said:

Have to think with the re-introduction of the Baby Giro in 2017, that the Aussie National team will get an invite, especially after their outstanding performance at the 2016 L'Avenir - You'd expect both to be in the team.

If only the talent identification experts could find women who can climb.
If only!

The only world class climbers we've had recently are Ruth Corset (who came to cycling relatively late and had personality issues) and possibly Katrin Garfoot and Rachel Neylan on a good day.

Out of the current crop Ellen Skerrit is decent uphill but struggles to some extent on the flat.

yaco said:
42x16ss said:
yaco said:
Scarponi said:
yaco said:
Anyway confirmed that Hayman will not ride the TDU - Will be watching Storer and Hindley ( where possible ) in 2017, as one should end up at OBE in 2018.

What no disrespect what is the meaning to Hayman missing TDU?

Tour Down Under - Wife is expecting in january.
He doesn't usually ride it anyway :confused:

Hayman has ridden the last 9 editions of the TDU.

:lol:

18-Valve. (pithy) said:
yaco said:
So Chavez no certainty to ride the Giro - We'll have to redo our squads for each of the GT's.
Does Chaves have the mental fortitude to race the Tour as a leader? He does seem a bit too content to stick with the Giro - Vuelta double (for now). And next year's Giro doesn't really suit him that well.

There is no reason he would be worse than Yates who almost podiumed. Chaves podiumed two GTs in one year. The time is right to at least attempt it. He rode against Contador, Quintana and Froome in the Vuelta and did well although he was the fresher rider by not doing the Tour but he is still very young. Contador is in the twilight of his career but is still capable, Froome and Quintana will be around longer of course but the podium battle won't be easy with Bardet, Porte and others also wanting a big performance.

Certainly a massive PR boost for both OBE and each of these races ..... and Chaves is certainly a most engaging and obliging guy. Apart from perhaps having a wee dart on a couple of TDU finishes, his presence there is more likely to be promotional. Whilst he could certainly have some fun on the major hill on the Cuddles' circuit, it is too far from the finish for him to stay away unless with a small group with the right
composition (he being the quickest finisher). HS Tour .... maybe the best fit but the lowest profile.

IS this trip to AUS, however, likely to be beneficial to his overall season or detrimental is the major question. I'm not sure that it is however, if he and the team are going to make such a mistake; better it be made early rather than later in the contract.

Apparently Chavez will be co-leader with Gerrans for the TDU and Cadel Evans Race. Chavez will ride the Colombian National Championship in mid to late Feb - After that don't expect him to race until April -Seeing Chavez managed to podium The Vuelta with one race day after the Giro, then i'd be confident OBE will manage his preparation for the GT's - Still reckon who rides what GT is up in the air.

Re:

yaco said:
Apparently Chavez will be co-leader with Gerrans for the TDU and Cadel Evans Race. Chavez will ride the Colombian National Championship in mid to late Feb - After that don't expect him to race until April -Seeing Chavez managed to podium The Vuelta with one race day after the Giro, then i'd be confident OBE will manage his preparation for the GT's - Still reckon who rides what GT is up in the air.
CHAVES
CHAVES
CHAVES

Valv.Piti said:
yaco said:
CHAVES
CHAVES
CHAVES

Yeah it drives me nuts aswell :D

Re:

dirkprovin said:
Certainly a massive PR boost for both OBE and each of these races ..... and Chaves is certainly a most engaging and obliging guy. Apart from perhaps having a wee dart on a couple of TDU finishes, his presence there is more likely to be promotional. Whilst he could certainly have some fun on the major hill on the Cuddles' circuit, it is too far from the finish for him to stay away unless with a small group with the right
composition (he being the quickest finisher). HS Tour .... maybe the best fit but the lowest profile.

IS this trip to AUS, however, likely to be beneficial to his overall season or detrimental is the major question. I'm not sure that it is however, if he and the team are going to make such a mistake; better it be made early rather than later in the contract.
It's not unheard of to use the TDU as a springboard for a good season. Porte, Greipel, Goss, Gerrans, LL Sanchez, Valverde and Evans are just a few who have started the season well at the TDU and still had very good results later in the year.

Interesting article about Kreuzeger joining OBE - Fairly much matches up with my information that Roman approached OBE who of course were interested.

Interesting to see what happens on the GC front - Believe the GC riders have their preferred targets, which are at odds with the senior management of OBE - The old thing about pressure from sponsors and the like.

TRENDING THREADS