• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

[Green Edge] Shayne Bannan, Gerry Ryan and an Aussie Pro Team for 2012?

Page 122 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

dirkprovin said:
yaco said:
StryderHells said:
StryderHells said:
yaco said:
Dowsett is one that interests me. Should be riding Gt's but is unfortunately in the wrong team. He could find a niche at Orica.

Has Dowsett really shown he would be a rider who would fit in at Orica? He's a handy tester no doubt but outside of that has he been seen hammering away for a team leader or been a decent bottle fetcher? Movistar has always been an odd fit so possibly he's yet to show what he can do but from all available evidence I don't see what role he fills at Orica that's not already been taken.

He will in effect replace Gerrans and Tuft. Dowsett spends his life fetching bottles at MS with the occasional foray into ITT. Think he is a good fit

Tuft .... yes; Gerrans .. no. Gerrans is already being covered off in an Ardennes sense by both Yates and Kreuziger (if he stays beyond 2018) and longer term maybe Haig ? Whilst Dowsett matches off with Tuft grunt-wise, what will Dowsett be asking $$$wise and couldn't you probably get similar value somewhere else on the market for a lower asking price ? Just because he's Anglo doesn't mean he's necessarily going to be a "fit".

I'd like to have a better read on whether they are able to snap up any (or how many) of the peak young AUS U/23s that may come on the market PLUS whether they can retain Haig & Cort as well as who is definitely in the offload queue before looking at what mature age riders are available. We still don't know the longer term financial security and whether there IS a replacement for Orica as lead sponsor.
Dowsett's haemophilia complicates him as a signing. Despite being a very good rouleur, he isn't durable enough for the frenetic, crash-filled nature of GTs. Crashes that most riders can struggle through can be a serious threat to Dowsett's wellbeing.

Having said that, there's no other reason not to sign him.

Re:

yaco said:
TDU profiles for 2018 released. Only Willunga Hill as the challenging stage. Doubt Orica will send a GC rider.

That would be a completely pointless exercise. They made the big PR gesture this year by sending Chaves and it hasn't exactly paid off season-wise for him so zero reason to send either he or one of the Yates twins.

yaco said:
greenedge said:
Howson or Haig could be options (or one more year of Gerrans).

I would think Haig before Howson.

I'd lean Haig but might hold off on that call until he's actually re-signed with the team ! If he is, then it will be interesting what they set out as his program/goals over the next couple of years and whether they may start grooming him as a GC man should we see any of Yates x 2 or Chaves move on.

Am thinking Gerrans will collect his superannuation at the end of this season unless there is some mutual agreement to give him a farewell at TDU.

Would expect they'll put more eggs in the Ewan basket at TDU so as to fatten him up with WT points early before he has to come up against the real competition.

movingtarget said:
Seems odd not to see Orica contesting the sprints.

I'd get used to it !! With the planned reduction in GT team sizes from 9 to 8, there is even less scope to include a sprinter plus lead-out when a team is also pursuing GC. Unless Cort signs to go elsewhere next year, he'll be at Vuelta but sprinting there is on a different plane to the full-on level at the Tour. He and Edmondson can probably be accomodated into Orica GT lineups for at least Giro/Vuelta given their characteristics as riders .... Ewan realistically needs to find a new home at a sprint focussed team.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Re:

RedheadDane said:
Doesn't look like shouting to me. Simply the use of capital letters instead of italics; to put focus on certain words.
It is, though. https://www.businessemailetiquette.com/is-this-shouting-too/
It is not an italics.

You can make your opinion on the topic. I know you haven't mean any harm, but look at it from my perspective: such cherry-picking is little annoying. Instead of commenting the whole someone just you're commenting fragment of it.

Also, dirkprovin is quiet, that probably means I hit the nail.

Kokoso said:
RedheadDane said:
Doesn't look like shouting to me. Simply the use of capital letters instead of italics; to put focus on certain words.
It is not an italics.

You can make your opinion on the topic. I know you haven't mean any harm, but look at it from my perspective: such cherry-picking is little annoying. Instead of commenting the whole someone just you're commenting fragment of it.

Actually, I chose to ignore your pettiness and chose rather only to engage on topics I felt interested in.

Secondly, we are not talking emails.

The Dane was actually correct with regards to my intention. I do, sometimes, choose to capitalise a particular word for emphasis when posting on this forum and other forums ..... and no one else has ever made the slightest accusation of shouting over the 15 odd years that I have been engaged on social fora. Please do not misunderstand me that if I were intending to shout at you; it would be very clear that I was doing so !

Up to this last post, I was willing to just let things lie and put much of this discord down to possible language issues with translation (for some years English was not my first language) but not any longer. It now appears clear to me that you have to have the last word in every exchange and come out looking "the big man".

I just really can't be bothered with you any longer and, henceforth, will no longer engage with you on this forum. All that I ask is that you do the same.

Re:

yaco said:
Reckon you will see Edmondson sprinting at the Bay Crits in 2018.

I'd personally love to see this but maybe they will be looking to back Ewan to the max at TDU in order to fatten up his WT points tally early season before he has to come up against the top sprinters when they're on/near peak condition.

What will be interesting next year is whether we may see Edmondson back on the track for CommGames (seen a Tweet from his sister that indicated this could possibly be on the cards) although he may also be chosen for the RR. The timing (early April) isn't exactly ideal as it clashes with cobbles season - a discipline Orica is keen for him to develop- so I'd frankly prefer him to high-hat CommGames. Let Ewan chase the "fools gold" as he's not likely to have the clashes with key races.

dirkprovin said:
yaco said:

I'd personally love to see this but maybe they will be looking to back Ewan to the max at TDU in order to fatten up his WT points tally early season before he has to come up against the top sprinters when they're on/near peak condition.

What will be interesting next year is whether we may see Edmondson back on the track for CommGames (seen a Tweet from his sister that indicated this could possibly be on the cards) although he may also be chosen for the RR. The timing (early April) isn't exactly ideal as it clashes with cobbles season - a discipline Orica is keen for him to develop- so I'd frankly prefer him to high-hat CommGames. Let Ewan chase the "fools gold" as he's not likely to have the clashes with key races.

I would be surprised if Edmondson goes back to the track as my understanding is this part of his career is finished. Nothing frustrates me more riders going off to the track. I believe you choose one or the other.

yaco said:
dirkprovin said:
yaco said:

I would be surprised if Edmondson goes back to the track as my understanding is this part of his career is finished. Nothing frustrates me more riders going off to the track. I believe you choose one or the other.

Not 100% against such returns but I think it's dependent on just where that rider is in their career and where their relative talents lie and whether such "timeouts" will be overly harmful to their progression.

With regards to Edmondson, this is the Tweet I was referring to:
"Stoked to be an ambassador for @commgamesaus! Looking forward to hopefully wearing the green and gold beside this joker again! #GC2018" @alexedmo Jun8

I'd rather he didn't given his exceptionally promising debut cobbles season but ....

Kokoso said:
RedheadDane said:
It is not an italics.

I know capital letters isn't italics, I'm not completely stupid. :p
Sure, capital letters is usually considered "shouting" in text, but sometimes - FB for example - you can't use italics (or bold), so capital also becomes used for emphasis. Sure, you can actually use italics here, but old habit dies hard...
I chose not to comment on the rest of the discussion because I - honestly - don't have any opinion on who the team signs and/or brings to which races. Accusing someone of "shouting" otoh... usually when you "shout" in text it's complete blocks of text, not single words; unless you have a really weird speech-pattern... also, notice the words being capitalised, words you'd quite often put emphasis on...

dirkprovin said:
yaco said:
dirkprovin said:
yaco said:

Not 100% against such returns but I think it's dependent on just where that rider is in their career and where their relative talents lie and whether such "timeouts" will be overly harmful to their progression.

With regards to Edmondson, this is the Tweet I was referring to:
"Stoked to be an ambassador for @commgamesaus! Looking forward to hopefully wearing the green and gold beside this joker again! #GC2018" @alexedmo Jun8

I'd rather he didn't given his exceptionally promising debut cobbles season but ....

Edmondson goes to a Mickey Mouse competition then that rules out about 1/3 of the season. I don't even want him to do the RR.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site

RedheadDane said:
Kokoso said:
RedheadDane said:
It is not an italics.

I know capital letters isn't italics, I'm not completely stupid. :p
Sure, capital letters is usually considered "shouting" in text, but sometimes - FB for example - you can't use italics (or bold), so capital also becomes used for emphasis. Sure, you can actually use italics here, but old habit dies hard...
I chose not to comment on the rest of the discussion because I - honestly - don't have any opinion on who the team signs and/or brings to which races. Accusing someone of "shouting" otoh... usually when you "shout" in text it's complete blocks of text, not single words; unless you have a really weird speech-pattern... also, notice the words being capitalised, words you'd quite often put emphasis on...
Now you've annoyed me because of this reaction. a) the discussion wasn't only about La Vuelta line-up, but you've still choosed to cherry-pick just one thing.

b) it was exactly my point regarding line-up - how can dirkprovin be so certain with some names and exclude others.

Ok, so maybe dirkprovin is not shouting, maybe he feels he needs to put emphasis on certain words. It is still ridiculous. You can understand his point from normal text. I mean, we are not deciding on someone's death or something, just talking about cycling.

P.S. btw. shouting means putting emphasis on certain words, too.

Re:

Lupi33x said:
most anonymous team in the race this year

Wow, you're on fire tonite !! Think they'll take that "anonymity" ....along with a rider with a nigh 4min lead in the White Jersey and 6th on GC. Don't think they're gonna worry about your wounded sense of aesthetics if they finish the Tour with one of the main jerseys and a top10 ..... think most teams outside the likes of UK Postal, Movi & maybe BMC would walk away from this Tour happy with that outcome

Jan 20, 2016
Visit site
White jersey is barely a consolation. Yates is riding on his own most of the time. He's a talented rider but he's going nowhere with this team.
Orica havent been protagonists in any of the significant moves nor been in the mix to win any of the stages.

TRENDING THREADS