• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

[Green Edge] Shayne Bannan, Gerry Ryan and an Aussie Pro Team for 2012?

Page 128 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

yaco said:
Trentin today showed he should be a good acquisition for Orica - He's a talented rider.

Agree, a smart and savvy rider with some versatility.

yaco said:
Tanner is currently riding a short term contract for a PC team. He could enter the equation.

Hhmm, a rider with some talent but not sure his skill set really adds anything that they really need. Not realistically someone who will produce any results of note but neither am I seeing any that says quality domestique.

And somehow Ewan got lost in the finish of Cyclo Classics - Strange that he went in a breakaway of around 20 riders which was lead by Impey which was brought back with 5km to go - And Mezgec crashed out with 15kms to go - And it's Mezgec who usually gets Ewan into position.

Re:

yaco said:
And somehow Ewan got lost in the finish of Cyclo Classics - Strange that he went in a breakaway of around 20 riders which was lead by Impey which was brought back with 5km to go - And Mezgec crashed out with 15kms to go - And it's Mezgec who usually gets Ewan into position.

Yes, I watched the last 20kms and he was well positioned for the final short hill which probably brought about a split. Was hard to know at times whether Impey was either driving the pace to keep the group away or whether there may also have been a plan B of if someone else get away off the front of that group, go with him and take your chances.

Ewan really showed that left to his own devices in any serious group situation, he really is a little boy lost and raised the white flag well out from the finish. Impey and Hayman were in the same time group but Ewan seemed to get himself separated .... Kluge was nowhere to be seen.

Re: Re:

dirkprovin said:
yaco said:

Yes, I watched the last 20kms and he was well positioned for the final short hill which probably brought about a split. Was hard to know at times whether Impey was either driving the pace to keep the group away or whether there may also have been a plan B of if someone else get away off the front of that group, go with him and take your chances.

Ewan really showed that left to his own devices in any serious group situation, he really is a little boy lost and raised the white flag well out from the finish. Impey and Hayman were in the same time group but Ewan seemed to get himself separated .... Kluge was nowhere to be seen.
Positioning really seems to be Ewan's weak point. He needs some guidance from someone like McEwen or Freire on how to read a race. It's cost him a few wins now over the last 18 months.

42x16ss said:
dirkprovin said:
yaco said:

Positioning really seems to be Ewan's weak point. He needs some guidance from someone like McEwen or Freire on how to read a race. It's cost him a few wins now over the last 18 months.

Agree. Think this is partly related to his conservatism. He is reluctant to put his nose in the wind until the final 200 metres. You will often get more results if you put your nose in the wind earlier.

yaco said:
42x16ss said:
dirkprovin said:
yaco said:

Agree. Think this is partly related to his conservatism. He is reluctant to put his nose in the wind until the final 200 metres. You will often get more results if you put your nose in the wind earlier.

I'll disagree; he has high top pace but has trouble sustaining it for more than 200m. Its not conservatism but rather his own physical limitations. He hasn't the grunt to bridge gaps under his own power so needs team mates to deliver him. He lacks size and strength which handicaps him both physically and psychologically; he can't really handle the argy bargy by himself so needs a bigger body as a pilot but this nervousness re contact often sees him hesitate and thus lose his man's wheel/get lost.

dirkprovin said:
yaco said:
42x16ss said:
dirkprovin said:
yaco said:

I'll disagree; he has high top pace but has trouble sustaining it for more than 200m. Its not conservatism but rather his own physical limitations. He hasn't the grunt to bridge gaps under his own power so needs team mates to deliver him. He lacks size and strength which handicaps him both physically and psychologically; he can't really handle the argy bargy by himself so needs a bigger body as a pilot but this nervousness re contact often sees him hesitate and thus lose his man's wheel/get lost.

What you posted is true but, I am not referring to sprinting more than 200 metres - It's more going around a rider or two within the last km to improve your position, even if you use some energy - You can't always rely on Mezgec to bring you up the pointy end.

I believe Jones will soon travel to the Vuelta once he finishes his media commitments for the Opening of the Green Edge Documentary ' All For One.' I believe the official opening is August 24. Pity its not showing in HK.

Edit - The movie premiered at the Mebourne Film Festival last week and won the audience award.

42x16ss said:
dirkprovin said:
yaco said:

Or Matteo Trentin

Re:

yaco said:
Question for 42/166 ? Do you have any idea of the parcours for the Commonwealth RR in 2018 ? It falls right in the middle of the Classics Season which is bad timing - Undoubtedly a few riders from Orica will want to compete ?

Sprinter friendly most definitely as the course is mostly through canal front estate suburbs with the only minor rises perhaps through the suburb of Elanora which is the furthest inland but even then only minor.

The TT route ventures further inland and looks like it may be somewhat harder

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/videos/watch/commonwealth-games-cycling-route

Orica should be happy enough letting Ewan go along and collect his fools gold. Not sure I'd be releasing anyone else (Durbridge, Edmondson or Hepburn). Maybe one of the neo's they may sign but that's about it

dirkprovin said:
yaco said:
Question for 42/166 ? Do you have any idea of the parcours for the Commonwealth RR in 2018 ? It falls right in the middle of the Classics Season which is bad timing - Undoubtedly a few riders from Orica will want to compete ?

Sprinter friendly most definitely as the course is mostly through canal front estate suburbs with the only minor rises perhaps through the suburb of Elanora which is the furthest inland but even then only minor.

Orica should be happy enough letting Ewan go along and collect his fools gold. Not sure I'd be releasing anyone else (Durbridge, Edmondson or Hepburn). Maybe one of the neo's they may sign but that's about it

Given the dates I don't know why Orica would release anyone to compete in the races, they are going to be a weak races so young/local riders should be enough to be in the finish.

StryderHells said:
dirkprovin said:
yaco said:

Given the dates I don't know why Orica would release anyone to compete in the races, they are going to be a weak races so young/local riders should be enough to be in the finish.

Ewan can be released given he's really not a classics rider ... unless they soft pedal the Cipressa & Poggio again (unlikely to happen at least for another few years).

Meyer will most likely ride track and may be be seconded for the road but that's a known factor with his signing. Otherwise no, unless perhaps a neo-pro. Edmondson is supposedly an "ambassador" for the event (as is his sister) but if I were his employer, I'd be telling him to "high hat" the event and concentrate on what he gets paid to do.

No way in the wide world would we see either Yates be let go, nor Impey for RSA. Bewley ... don't think so. Sveino .... vaguely possible they'd grant him a leave pass in his final year IF he asks for one to go ride the TT

StryderHells said:
dirkprovin said:
yaco said:

Riders will be released and even Sky releases their riders - Ride the road race and you'll miss Amstel Gold and possibly Fletch Wallone - So going into the Ardennes Classics there are few Aussie riders from Orica who do those races - You could definitely send one of Ewan and Edmondson as it's a week after PR - Durbridge would be good for the ITT but its three days after PR - It also depends on what other Aussie riders from other trade teams are interested in the Commonwealth games or in fact other Commonwealth nations - Maybe Tuft or Impey wants to ride the ITT - There are many unanswered questions.

dirkprovin said:
StryderHells said:
dirkprovin said:
yaco said:

Ewan can be released given he's really not a classics rider ... unless they soft pedal the Cipressa & Poggio again (unlikely to happen at least for another few years).

Meyer will most likely ride track and may be be seconded for the road but that's a known factor with his signing. Otherwise no, unless perhaps a neo-pro. Edmondson is supposedly an "ambassador" for the event (as is his sister) but if I were his employer, I'd be telling him to "high hat" the event and concentrate on what he gets paid to do.

No way in the wide world would we see either Yates be let go, nor Impey for RSA. Bewley ... don't think so. Sveino .... vaguely possible they'd grant him a leave pass in his final year IF he asks for one to go ride the TT

Actually it was the Commonwealth games in 2014 when Ewan was over-hyped - Australian media made him out as the undeniable favourite when he had snowflakes chance in hell. He was never going to be competitive in a longish one day race at that stage of his career -To his credit he battled on finishing last 6 minutes behind.

yaco said:
dirkprovin said:
StryderHells said:
dirkprovin said:
yaco said:

Actually it was the Commonwealth games in 2014 when Ewan was over-hyped - Australian media made him out as the undeniable favourite when he had snowflakes chance in hell. He was never going to be competitive in a longish one day race at that stage of his career -To his credit he battled on finishing last 6 minutes behind.

Most definitely the course did not suit him but it was also where his major shortcomings were first really exposed to a wider audience.

yaco said:
StryderHells said:
dirkprovin said:
yaco said:

Riders will be released and even Sky releases their riders - Ride the road race and you'll miss Amstel Gold and possibly Fletch Wallone - So going into the Ardennes Classics there are few Aussie riders from Orica who do those races - You could definitely send one of Ewan and Edmondson as it's a week after PR - Durbridge would be good for the ITT but its three days after PR - It also depends on what other Aussie riders from other trade teams are interested in the Commonwealth games or in fact other Commonwealth nations - Maybe Tuft or Impey wants to ride the ITT - There are many unanswered questions.

I never said riders wouldn't be released but I don't get why they would be for the Commonwealth Games, it's such a non event but in saying that I've always thought the Comm Games were a waste of time and just an excuse for Australia to beat up on a whole bunch of small countries.

StryderHells said:
yaco said:
StryderHells said:
dirkprovin said:
yaco said:

I never said riders wouldn't be released but I don't get why they would be for the Commonwealth Games, it's such a non event but in saying that I've always thought the Comm Games were a waste of time and just an excuse for Australia to beat up on a whole bunch of small countries.

Personally I am of the same opinion, if not even more "stick a bloody fork in it"/euthenase the whole meaningless charade. In 3 sports, the competition standard could be said to be legitimately world championship level but 2 of them are non Olympic (netball and bowls) and only one Olympic (rugby sevens). In a few others, its equivalent to a respectable intl competition but in many Olympic sports the depth is poor and uneven in quality. The presence of AUS, Home Nations and NZL make it meaningful as regards track cycling but for road, its meaningless esp with its timing next year.

Those with legit ambitions for both cobbles and Ardennes races or are likely members of teams targetting these races realistically should not be made available for CG. That rules out Durbridge and I'd be reluctant to release Edmondson. Impey is too important for Ardennes races so no way. I'd readily release Ewan and Meyer is already "done deal", maybe at most I'd release Hepburn and Tuft (if he asks).

StryderHells said:
yaco said:
StryderHells said:
dirkprovin said:
yaco said:

Agree 100% - I dont want any Orice riders to ride the Commonwealth Games but it will happen

TRENDING THREADS