• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

[Green Edge] Shayne Bannan, Gerry Ryan and an Aussie Pro Team for 2012?

Page 129 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Hopefully, next year will be the final death throes for this super-annuated oversized church fete .... so this confict will hopefully never raise its head in future ! I do know that AUS Olympic officials are looking at gaining entry to Asian Games which makes more sense given our geographic position and a number of AUS sports are already part of Asian confederations. In a number of sports, the competition standard will be higher and more worthwhile. In the case of cycling, realistically a non event other than CHN in certain track disciplines and no real demand for releasing WT pros to ride the road events.

Re: Re:

dirkprovin said:
yaco said:
Question for 42/166 ? Do you have any idea of the parcours for the Commonwealth RR in 2018 ? It falls right in the middle of the Classics Season which is bad timing - Undoubtedly a few riders from Orica will want to compete ?

Sprinter friendly most definitely as the course is mostly through canal front estate suburbs with the only minor rises perhaps through the suburb of Elanora which is the furthest inland but even then only minor.

The TT route ventures further inland and looks like it may be somewhat harder

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/videos/watch/commonwealth-games-cycling-route

Orica should be happy enough letting Ewan go along and collect his fools gold. Not sure I'd be releasing anyone else (Durbridge, Edmondson or Hepburn). Maybe one of the neo's they may sign but that's about it
The RR course is quite flat with only a few undulations and the road surface will be excellent. Expect MAJOR crosswind, this is probably more suited to a fast classics rider than a pure boulevard sprinter, lots of twisting high speed corners.

Sad that the organisers have totally ignored the hinterlands, they could have had a Lombardia style route with 3-4 5-8km climbs.

As for releasing riders, IMO only espoirs should be eligible to ride.

42x16ss said:
dirkprovin said:
yaco said:
Question for 42/166 ? Do you have any idea of the parcours for the Commonwealth RR in 2018 ? It falls right in the middle of the Classics Season which is bad timing - Undoubtedly a few riders from Orica will want to compete ?

Sprinter friendly most definitely as the course is mostly through canal front estate suburbs with the only minor rises perhaps through the suburb of Elanora which is the furthest inland but even then only minor.

Orica should be happy enough letting Ewan go along and collect his fools gold. Not sure I'd be releasing anyone else (Durbridge, Edmondson or Hepburn). Maybe one of the neo's they may sign but that's about it
The RR course is quite flat with only a few undulations and the road surface will be excellent. Expect MAJOR crosswind, this is probably more suited to a fast classics rider than a pure boulevard sprinter, lots of twisting high speed corners.

Sad that the organisers have totally ignored the hinterlands, they could have had a Lombardia style route with 3-4 5-8km climbs.

I am surprised they didn't use part of the GC Hinterland, but ultimately its up to the organisers - Agree about espoirs.

yaco said:
42x16ss said:
dirkprovin said:
yaco said:

I am surprised they didn't use part of the GC Hinterland butits up to the organisers - Agree about espoirs.

100% agree that they should've gone into the hinterland and found themselves a very selective course but these races tend to be circuits and such a move would've mitagated against that.

Espoirs ?? Nice thought but realistically only applicable to countries such as AUS, Home Nations and to limited degrees CAN, RSA & NZL as riders from most other nations are at significantly lower levels. What might've been more realistic is competitors at no higher than Pro Conti level; ie no WT riders.

Plaza off to Israel Cycling Academy so that leaves the situation as:

15 contracted or renewed riders: Bewley, Chaves, Durbridge, Ewan, Hayman, Hepburn, Howson, Impey, Juul-Jensen, Kluge, Kreuziger, Tuft, Verona, Yates A, Yates S,

3 confirmed new signings: Meyer, Nieve, Trentin

4 confirmed outs: Cort, Gerrans, Keukeleire, Plaza

Status unknown: Albasini, Docker, Edmondson, Haig, Lok, Mezgec, Power.

Of these, Lok & Docker look the most vulnerable. Haig definitely the highest re-signing priority then Edmondson. If Albasini is wanting to go round again, then he will almost certainly be accomodated. I would definitely be re-signing Mezgec but does he have other offers. Power will most likely get another couple of years but will be on significantly lower dollars than Haig & Edmondson.

That would have them at 23 riders contracted, How many new arrivals ? Who ? From where ?

Gotta say Haig has been super impressive so far in the Vuelta - Expect he will tail off in week three, though he is better suited on longer climbs.

Team - My understanding is Haig and Albasini are just about done but have no idea about the remaining non-contracted riders - Believe two neo-pros are coming on-board - Reckon the team needs 28 riders - You have listed 18 confirmed riders and I added 4 which is 22 - My guess is at least 2 or 3 of the remaining uncontracted riders will be contracted - Still leaves around 3 missing pieces.

Re:

yaco said:
Missed chance today to go for a stage victory - You make things happen when you have three in the lead group.

Easy to state from here but making it actually happen is another thing entirely. Were any of them really in good enough shape not only to be able to prise open a gap but then make it stick ? Both Chaves and AY would've been shut down and realistically haven't the power on the flat to make it happen ... would've been at their limits bridging to any such moves by others. Realistically Haig was the only one with the scope to do anything .... and he may've been just as "cooked" as everyone else.

My first reaction whilst watching was the same as yours but then, on reflection, any gains (other than a stage win) would only have been marginal at best and the trade-offs probably not worth it. Would they really want Chaves in red at this point .... thus transferring pressure/onus to set pace onto your team rather than some one else ? If none of them were really feeling up to making the effort then better than they save the fuel.

Re:

yaco said:
Gotta say Haig has been super impressive so far in the Vuelta - Expect he will tail off in week three, though he is better suited on longer climbs.

Team - My understanding is Haig and Albasini are just about done but have no idea about the remaining non-contracted riders - Believe two neo-pros are coming on-board - Reckon the team needs 28 riders - You have listed 18 confirmed riders and I added 4 which is 22 - My guess is at least 2 or 3 of the remaining uncontracted riders will be contracted - Still leaves around 3 missing pieces.

Think that is likely but what is more likely is that SY will fall away some time before him given he's already conceding small time gaps and is realistically starting to run on fumes. As for SY's further utility for the rest of the race, I think he will be allowed to drop some significant time next week with the trade-off being that he may still just have enough to be a key player in some set-piece later in the race.

As for Haig, it will be interesting to see to what extent he may/will drop away. So far he hasn't tried to go into the red on any of these stages which does speak of some maturity. Given he is the best TTer of the 4 climbers, its still not out of the question that he ends up with a respectable enough GC finish (top 30ish).

Haig re-signing is probably the biggest "deal" for the team of this entire contract season given he just may BE the AUS GT contender of the future and he will most certainly now be on the radar screens of a number of teams.

Albasini .... he continues to deliver both results and value to the team so I have zero issues with him "riding out the rest of his career" with the team.

Edmondson I see as another near certain re-signing.

If they've managed to snag two of the peak AUS U/23s (from what looks to be a prime vintage) then that's a plus though how that entire situation plays out will be interesting; who will make the move this year vs who may wait another 12 months ?

dirkprovin said:
yaco said:

Think that is likely but what is more likely is that SY will fall away some time before him given he's already conceding small time gaps and is realistically starting to run on fumes. As for SY's further utility for the rest of the race, I think he will be allowed to drop some significant time next week with the trade-off being that he may still just have enough to be a key player in some set-piece later in the race.

As for Haig, it will be interesting to see to what extent he may/will drop away. So far he hasn't tried to go into the red on any of these stages which does speak of some maturity. Given he is the best TTer of the 4 climbers, its still not out of the question that he ends up with a respectable enough GC finish (top 30ish).

Haig re-signing is probably the biggest "deal" for the team of this entire contract season given he just may BE the AUS GT contender of the future and he will most certainly now be on the radar screens of a number of teams.

Albasini .... he continues to deliver both results and value to the team so I have zero issues with him "riding out the rest of his career" with the team.

Edmondson I see as another near certain re-signing.

If they've managed to snag two of the peak AUS U/23s (from what looks to be a prime vintage) then that's a plus though how that entire situation plays out will be interesting; who will make the move this year vs who may wait another 12 months ?

I am unsure whether both neo-pros are from Australia - Actually there are only 10 Aussies in the team - Meyer makes it 11 but then Gerrans is leaving which makes it 10 - Haig, Edmondson, Docker and Power still uncontracted - Orica are riding the Tour of Guangzi from October 19-24 - It's a late season race and it will be interesting what team is selected for this race.

Re:

StryderHells said:
You'd think the most likely neo's would be Lucas Hamilton, Jai Hindley and Michael Storer, both Hamilton and Hindley are 21 with Storer only being 20 so my guess it will be the first 2 but all 3 look to be good prospects.

They most certainly look the most likely suspects but looking at their ages, they are not in a position of being forced into taking the plunge this year.

Orica has also not been adverse to picking up international u23 riders; arguably with an impressive strike rate if we looks at Chaves, both Yates and Cort so maybe one of their final signings could be someone from this sector ?

Power's 4th place ride at Otztaler might just have secured his contract renewal. He has previously had a few rides where he has been "moderately useful" but this is the first stand-out performance. Will be very interesting to see which races they send him to for the remainder of the season.

Re:

dirkprovin said:
Power's 4th place ride at Otztaler might just have secured his contract renewal. He has previously had a few rides where he has been "moderately useful" but this is the first stand-out performance. Will be very interesting to see which races they send him to for the remainder of the season.

It was interesting that Kreuziger was riding for Power but still had the strength to finish the job - I wonder whether Kreuziger will lead the team in the Tour Of Britain or the two Canadian races - Power went pop on that final climb which was no surprise considering the brutal nature of the course, but also indicated his fitness is not quite at the level - He definitely needs to finish the season with the Tour of Guangzi from October 19-24 - This will give him a good base for 2018.

yaco said:
dirkprovin said:

It was interesting that Kreuziger was riding for Power but still had the strength to finish the job - I wonder whether Kreuziger will lead the team in the Tour Of Britain or the two Canadian races - Power went pop on that final climb which was no surprise considering the brutal nature of the course, but also indicated his fitness is not quite at the level - He definitely needs to finish the season with the Tour of Guangzi from October 19-24 - This will give him a good base for 2018.

Kreuziger should be going to the Laurentian races as either leader or co-leader with Albasini or Impey as the B options, He hasn't really been given the opportunities to ride for himself earlier in the year and this is a fair enough trade-off especially as it appears he may have some good form. Send Power to TOB maybe as a co-leader with someone like Howson along with a sprinter (probably Ewan).

dirkprovin said:
yaco said:
dirkprovin said:

Kreuziger should be going to the Laurentian races as either leader or co-leader with Albasini or Impey as the B options, He hasn't really been given the opportunities to ride for himself earlier in the year and this is a fair enough trade-off especially as it appears he may have some good form. Send Power to TOB maybe as a co-leader with someone like Howson along with a sprinter (probably Ewan).

TOB would be a suitable race for Durbridge but he's still injured - Seems like he will back racing some time in September. I suspect one of Impey or Albasini will be held back for TOB.

yaco said:
dirkprovin said:
yaco said:
dirkprovin said:

TOB would be a suitable race for Durbridge but he's still injured - Seems like he will back racing some time in September. I suspect one of Impey or Albasini will be held back for TOB.

Dunno, its a 2nd tier event and if they want experienced heads then Hayman fits that bill, even Gerrans for that matter. Perhaps they COULD send Albasini to TOB as leader as its a race that arguably fits his skill-set but I think the team will be looking more at giving younger riders a taste of being "the man". Albasini has had his outings in the Ardennes and at Romandie to pick up results; if anything I'd have Impey as the B option for the Laurentian races as he's had a 4th at Quebec. If they want a back-up quick option for TOB where Ewan may've been gapped then take Mezgec along as insurance.

dirkprovin said:
fattyboomstixsmum said:
dirkprovin said:

Where is Gerrans going?

Given he is 37, wouldn't retirement be a distinct possibility ? If he is wanting to continue racing then most likely it will have to be at a lower tier given his record of accidents and injuries in recent years.

Gerrans will be at WT level next year and if not at a French PCT - Seems like Gerrans may be the protected rider at the TOB - Haig had a bad day losing 12 minutes and S.Yates was sacrificed today - Haig should be allowed to get into a breakaway which can help the team.

yaco said:
dirkprovin said:
fattyboomstixsmum said:
dirkprovin said:

Where is Gerrans going?

Given he is 37, wouldn't retirement be a distinct possibility ? If he is wanting to continue racing then most likely it will have to be at a lower tier given his record of accidents and injuries in recent years.

Gerrans will be at WT level next year and if not at a French PCT - Seems like Gerrans may be the protected rider at the TOB - Haig had a bad day losing 12 minutes and S.Yates was sacrificed today - Haig should be allowed to get into a breakaway which can help the team.

Interesting that any WT team would have any interest in Gerrans given his hazardous last few years; barring one that is desperate for WT points for survival. Even for a PCT, could only think it would be a one year deal.

The Orica GC situation has resolved itself as expected. However, re use of both Haig & SY; it will need to be selective and judicious as to when and where rather than just blind "death or glories". Between the two of them, they probably have a total of maybe 3 decent "shots in their locker" so lets hope firstly that Stephens has figured out which stages and where .... and secondly that either Chaves and/or AY can make it pay off

Haig apparently had a puncture at a bad time (one can only assume early on the climb or on the climb) which may explain a significant portion of his time loss. In any case, that is what it is and he has now slipped away from the GC picture and now, arguably, there is some greater flexibility as to how he may be deployed ... but again, this will be contingent on whether either of the GC men retain viable GC positions.

Jul 16, 2017
Visit site

dirkprovin said:
fattyboomstixsmum said:
dirkprovin said:

Where is Gerrans going?

I agree retirement is a big possibility. I thought I may have missed an announcement of it though. Listening to Matt Keenan and Dan Jones on the 3 Domestiques podcast I am sure there is something in the works for him in 2018.

TRENDING THREADS